CAD Software Suggestions

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
 What does your agency use for dispatch software? Looking for something affordable for a small agency. Would love to hear suggestions and pros\cons from folks who actually use it every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pimp
May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks, I found that first one but it didn't really answer my question. The second one seems to be quite a bit more in depth. It's 4 years old so maybe there are other options out there now too? Also if anyone has estimates as to cost that would be incredibly helpful as well.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
 a small agency. 
Define. 

I really just replied because I wanted to tune in to this thread. The question dies to be answered, though.  :cool:  

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Impact sucks from a field user point of view - remember that I was a senior dispatcher in a top 911 center for nearly 30 years so I kinda know a bit about CAD. The dispatchers tell me it's not much fun on their end either.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
We just got a new system...  We went live on June 16th...  We are using LIVE One Solusion CAD from SunGuard OSSI...  We absolutely LOVE it...  Very easy to use, and easily expanded/built-up...  

Reactions: Core Public Safety

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
 What does your agency use for dispatch software? Looking for something affordable for a small agency. Would love to hear suggestions and pros\cons from folks who actually use it every day.
After you define a small agency, how about defining "affordable?"

The problem here is that what looks like a bargain for the upfront purchase can become a financial nightmare over the long haul. If you have have to pay big bucks for what the vendor calls "upgrades and advancements" that are really charging the customer for fixing (or tryng to fix) their own poor packages, how much of a bargain was it?

Then there is the issue of how comphrensive the product is at the start. If you buy a Police CAD only and then have to purchase EMS and Fire modules later on, are you really getting a bargain? How about adding in a Utilities or Tow Truck module? Oh, you need a Towed Vehicle module? How about system wide messaging? Paging? Data terminals in the field units? Don't even get me started on EMD, EFD, or EPD! And then there is the Records Management system to consider.

What about all the data you'll have to supply to make the CAD do what it is intended to do? If one package that is cheaper wants a lot more data input up front, it is really saving you any money? Geofiles, response files, unit files, and a lot more all have to be created, or ported over, before the CAD can work for you?

How about training? How much training and other on-site start-up service is the vendor going to provide?

IMHO, the best thing any dispatch agency can do is to find some one who understands CAD to help them evaluate the various offerings. It should be a real "been there, done that" kind of person who can cut through the vendor BS and make it into a true apples and apples comparison.

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's for a security company. Two dispatchers on any shift, and anywhere from 10 to 20 personnel. We don't need station alerting or anything like that, we're talking about something more geared for law enforcement than fire. We currently use 911Cad (used to be E911 pro) and while it works it really hasn't learned any new tricks in the last 10 years. I guess the biggest thing I would like to see is something that has MDT and smartphone capabilities so that we can get information to users in the field. I have no clue what the budget is; it's not something we can spend a hundred grand on but something we can throw some money at.

I've been playing with an open source software called TicketsCad on a development server. It is by no means an end-all be-all solution but it is very interesting and fairly functional. It's tailored for FD\EMS use and while I doubt it would work for most departments it might something to consider for small departments who have little or no budget or as a backup\emergency deployment system. Of course there are pitfalls with OSS, like the developer disappearing or having potentially no tech support so that's always something to consider to. Just putting it out there for those of you who might be in the same boat.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
The healthcare security that I work in uses Competitive Edge and Report Exec (by Competitive Edge). The software works great for us! I don't know if it has MDT capabilities since we don't need that. It is tailored to LE use, IMO.

Reactions: Core Public Safety

FF Vince

Oct 9, 2010
Upstate, New York
My paid agency uses spillman in conjunction with the county spillman system. I really like the system, however, this may not be what you're looking for.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Tossing my 2 pennies in....We used to use HTE CAD (DOS based) until 2006 when we switched over to New World Systems CAD (windows based).  Lots of background admin settings to set up and security settings out the whazoo  (security meaning you can decide who gets to see what, not geared towards security work).  If you have the server power it runs great.  They also have add ons for JAIL, RECORDS (RMS), the only gripe I have is if you want to modify components to fit your dept. they won't allow the mod unless another agency they service wants the same mod/upgrade. 

We have 7-10 dispatchers on at a time 24-7 running fire, ems, and police functions so it gets boggy but I think that's not a software issue.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
When I dispatched for a university PD they used ARMS and I was actually the database admin. It works ok but I think there are much better solutions out there. Though I only test drove the demo version, I kinda liked the CAD offered by CrimeStar.

Matthew
I think ours was rushed in without alot of research because the CAD we had would not work with Windows 7 so they had to come up with something before the update. Its not bad, but the database admin will not unlock some features for dispatchers to use and it limits its potential. It does what it needs to do. The report writing end of it could be better also.

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
We just started using ARMS. The jury is still out since I have limited experience with it.

http://www.arms.com/

It works, but has limitations.

There are basic features I've requested and told are on the roadmap for 6-7 years (screen resizing for example) and the mobile sync piece has been causing headaches lately.

Our last update wasn't smooth, causing lots of extra work on my team's end and their response was basically "oops, my bad"

Reactions: FireEMSPolice

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
we can take this to PM or email if you prefer, but what kind of things are you locked out of?  Just curious to compare to our settings.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
http://www.destinypatrolsoftware.com/602-03.php

Destiny is what a security company used when I worked there.  We had MDCs in the car, with Verizon HotSpots or 3G USB cards. Worked great but we did not use half of the features that were there.  But it is geared towards security and will email client reports, and has towing violations and all that.

The Sheriff's Office I work at now uses Spillman.  We don't have computers in the vehicle, unless we put on it, and they do not have any additional licenses for other computers then what we have, so we don't use it for CAD, beyond the office. 

We use it for reports and jail, it is easy if you didn't use anything else before, but the deputies that have been there hate it because they are used to the old reports.

Also google ALIER and check that out, its free, and you can pay for extra options.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
For computer aided dispatch, my trucking company uses the JDI Model S2 with software version 1.093736559

uploadfromtaptalk1409977732260.jpg

Seems to work ok.

Reactions: Doug

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Well, in the new dispatching job we use RightCad by RescueNet with integrated ProQA. It is SLICK! A big improvement to what I am used to.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.