California Beacon question

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I think there was, though I could be wrong a California compliant variant of a Federal model 17 that had a clear dome and had the front sealed beam in steady burn red mode and the rear in the blinking amber mode. I'm I just crazy or did this model exist? I thought I saw an image of one online a year or two ago.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
The Red and Amber, yes .... a Clear dome would not be California compliant, based on the age, because there was no White flashing warning light forever, until recently, like the CHP Vision era.

Watch the end of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and note the red and white beacon on the top of the ambulance, which is wrong for the time.

A similar version appears in Bullitt, in San Mateo or wherever he finds the girlfriend, with a Red 17 and Red to the front mounted on the base.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
CT-1 is the lightbar assembly complete. I never saw the single offered as a catalog item.
I did mean the CT-1 lightbar when I stated California spec. I should have been more specific to what I was referring to. My question should have been in reference to "Mid 1960s" are you referring to the visibar series of lightbars entirely or specifically the model CT-1?

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
The San Mateo Co. Sheriff's office ran the FS Mod. 17 with a steady red and a flashing amber rear, the beacon was a red dome. when they turned on the rotating light the amber turned off. They used these from the early 60's up to 1972 when they and most agencies moved to the CA. Twinsonic. NOW a little tid-bit The sheriffs beacons had "RUBBER 4001 bulb holders" rear and front housings, YES RUBBER ! I had one given to me in 1976. I sold it in 2001 for, well I couldn't turn down the offer. The Rubber housing could be removed by pulling in an angle upward it would come off of this 2 1/2" like metal washer that was bolted to the beacons housing you can easily remove the 4001R or 4001A bulbs and with a little water and soap push them right back on. When they were in place they were pretty solid. It was very unique to say the least.

Reactions: dmathieu

Aug 13, 2021
CT
The San Mateo Co. Sheriff's office ran the FS Mod. 17 with a steady red and a flashing amber rear, the beacon was a red dome. when they turned on the rotating light the amber turned off. They used these from the early 60's up to 1972 when they and most agencies moved to the CA. Twinsonic. NOW a little tid-bit The sheriffs beacons had "RUBBER 4001 bulb holders" rear and front housings, YES RUBBER ! I had one given to me in 1976. I sold it in 2001 for, well I couldn't turn down the offer. The Rubber housing could be removed by pulling in an angle upward it would come off of this 2 1/2" like metal washer that was bolted to the beacons housing you can easily remove the 4001R or 4001A bulbs and with a little water and soap push them right back on. When they were in place they were pretty solid. It was very unique to say the least.
Are there any images of one of these units out there?

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
So far this is the best I can find, taken by my father in the 70's when he was a officer. I may have one person that just might have better photo's. When I spoke to him he remembered SMCO SO running those and he too brought up the rubber housings but they did have some with the metal PAR 46 housings too.

Attachments

• 20211224_121801.jpg
    20211224_121801.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: JohnMarcson

Aug 13, 2021
CT
So far this is the best I can find, taken by my father in the 70's when he was a officer. I may have one person that just might have better photo's. When I spoke to him he remembered SMCO SO running those and he too brought up the rubber housings but they did have some with the metal PAR 46 housings too.
Looks like a '69 Plymouth. Was the siren electronic or electro-mechanical?

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
electro-mechanical which they ran until 1971-72
Here is a couple more pic's, San Carlos and Menlo Park PD's ran them as will, also a 1960's picture from by buddy San Mateo Co S.O. on traffic stop

Attachments

• CPD 1964.jpg
    CPD 1964.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 20
  • SMCO 1968.jpg
    SMCO 1968.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 21

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.