California Find (Mars Bar)

fedsig7

May 20, 2010
Santa Rosa, California
I came across this here in California. I’ve been collecting for a while and have never came across anything from Mars here in CA. With that being said, I don’t know much about Mars beacons, etc. Does anyone have any information about this bar? Estimated value?

Attachments

• 92224D0F-E05A-4EA7-A3E8-E098E351529D.jpeg
    92224D0F-E05A-4EA7-A3E8-E098E351529D.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 113

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Nice bar !! You really have a winner there because it is very collectable. I can't give you a
value but I'm sure some of the other members will be along shortly to help with that.
The bar, beacons and can lights are Mars. What does the logo disk say on that speaker
re-entry cone ??

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Very nice (&complete!) looking bar. Value on here vs ebay are two very different things. I think a relatively conservative value would be $500, but it likely would gather twice that on ebay.

Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie
Jun 18, 2013
PA
what @tsquale said.

I'm not a mars aficionado but they seem to garner a pretty penny when they do go up.

Reactions: tsquale

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The only Mars lights approved by CHP at the end of the 70s was the 888 and the SW-2.

These RBs, which I think have the model number RB-362, seems not to have been approved in California so this bar have ended up there in one way or another.

The RB models went out of production at the end of the 70s to what can I recall.

Michael

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Everything appears to be authentic Mars to me although the beacon bases appear to be RB's mated to Skybolt domes. I have never seen a widemouth Mars speaker although I'm guessing it, too, is authentic given the red disk on the horn.

I'd say $800 to $1,000 on Ebay, maybe more. These Mars bars are EXTREMELY rare now, and while this one does not have the classic Chicago PD/FD configuration, it's uniqueness and authenticity should still command a high price.

I have some original SW-2 bases if interested, and another collector advertises on Ebay for the plastic inserts for the domes.

Nice find!

Reactions: CrownVic97

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I came across this here in California. I’ve been collecting for a while and have never came across anything from Mars here in CA. With that being said, I don’t know much about Mars beacons, etc. Does anyone have any information about this bar? Estimated value?
Definitely a unique find of Mars product out west! You did really good there, man! That bar will look sharp once all cleaned up.

Dec 17, 2018
TX, USA
Probably not worth the few dollars of gas to go scrap it. We gladly accept donations to the Sparky's Lightbar Museum. ;)

Jokes aside, That'a damn good looking bar. I'd wager around $800 easily. I could see it going for around $1,500, all told.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Without question that bar was imported to CA, probably on a vehicle someone brought in from out of state. It’s worth a pile of cash in its current state; probably a mountain of cash if you restore it. I’d be on the lookout for a correct siren/controller for that if I were in your shoes. No idea what that would be, but I’m sure someone will have the details on that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.