can anyone positively identify this?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Would you consider this to be an unusual setup?
Yes, a bit unusual, but like Pete L. said, everything in the 70's was unusual. It was an interesting time in which to live.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Everything from the 70's is unusual ;)
I always loved driving those Gran Fury patrol cars (big block V8)
Not to mention, different parts of the county made their own bars. So theoretically you could be in Texas and see one agency/station use a local manufacture to make the lights and go one state over, and that area use another. Two completely different set ups, and/or hybrid's, unique to the location.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The specs on the strobe bar put it at only 4.5 amps, not much at all. The Federal 184 would be around 10 amps, assuming the bulbs are 4416's and not halogen.

Reactions: dmathieu

Aug 13, 2021
CT
If it was a “cop car” (ala Blues Bros), then it would have been equipped with a Leece Neville 90-110 amp alternator…along with “a cop motor—a 440 cu. in. plant—it’s got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks…”. A real Bluesmobile.

Would the 184 have a blue dome?
I doubt this one was a 440. Most city cars in CT had 318s or 360s some others especially the Volares even had 225s. The troopers had the 440 in their Fury's and Gran Fury's. The 184 was red and the Whelen's were blue.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
More cars from CT:
Does anyone no the first cars setup?
CTEastHartfordPolice02-vi.jpg

dfb9288de04a29b26dbbf630057b906c.jpg

See the source image

See the source image
1200x0.jpg

No photo description available.

See the source image

Reactions: AM1

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Based on the shape of the beacon's dome and base, I'd say that is a Signal Stat bar.
If they are deitz they would be the model below. I don't have any signal stat literature but they looked very similar. I'm not well versed in deitz, yankee, signal stat, grote and related companies. There was some cross over between the companies somewhere that I'm not clear on.

The signal stat flashers would be model 394 https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/nos-signal-stat-vintage-fire-truck-173975826

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 70EDE2B8-7AC6-4894-BE33-E59E4BBB280F.jpeg
    70EDE2B8-7AC6-4894-BE33-E59E4BBB280F.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 7
  • D3E5D826-A668-4C35-84ED-0B698F85B724.jpeg
    D3E5D826-A668-4C35-84ED-0B698F85B724.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Yes, a bit unusual, but like Pete L. said, everything in the 70's was unusual. It was an interesting time in which to live.
I grew up in the 1970s. The thing I remember most fondly is the siren in my avatar. Federal PA20A series 2D. Some police patrol cars were still equipped with late 1960s vintage Federal electronic sirens.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What variant of the Edge does this look like? This was New Haven CT early 2000s P71.View attachment 242533
The lenses almost look non-fluted..... Since it is New Haven CT (Whelen country) I assume they would be up front in line for custom parts. They might just be super wethered and the outside hazing is catching the camera/lighting enough to hide the fluting. Looks like early combo/turbo tube style bars model wise.

nhedge3.JPGnhctedge2.JPGnhctedge1.JPGnewhavenedge5.JPG
video

Last edited:

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
The lenses almost look non-fluted..... Since it is New Haven CT (Whelen country) I assume they would be up front in line for custom parts. They might just be super wethered and the outside hazing is catching the camera/lighting enough to hide the fluting. Looks like early combo/turbo tube style bars model wise.

View attachment 242535View attachment 242536View attachment 242537View attachment 242534
video
I like the Chevrolet Caprice with Ford hub caps ‍♂️

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Back in the day New Haven would move old bars onto new cars. So the bar is likely older than the model year car.
Yeah, the bars a defiantly older than the cars, 1990s probably. I just can't tell if the lenses are non-fluted of surface faded.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I could an old news clip of a major event in NB history and there is a box Caprice on scene with what I believe is a Jetsonic. Anyone can confirm?

Attachments

• 1704854187310.png
    1704854187310.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 27

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I could an old news clip of a major event in NB history and there is a box Caprice on scene with what I believe is a Jetsonic. Anyone can confirm?
Looks like a Jetsonic to me. The speaker section of the Jetsonic had a very distinctive shape.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Then again, maybe not. It's really hard to tell for sure, but the speaker housing might be more blocky and that could be a Whelen Edge. Plus, given that it is in Connecticut, Whelen's backyard... The video is low resolution and it's really hard for me to be sure.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
Then again, maybe not. It's really hard to tell for sure, but the speaker housing might be more blocky and that could be a Whelen Edge. Plus, given that it is in Connecticut, Whelen's backyard... The video is low resolution and it's really hard for me to be sure.
The Edge speaker goes back further than a Jetsonic. The shape of the endcap looks more ovalish than rectaglish like the Edge, but video quality makes it hard to tell too well. Also I've seen early pre turbo tube Edges on NBPD cars of this period and they didn't have speakers at all. They also had red driver side and blue passenger. So this is definitely a different setup, but it's hard to tell from that angle what it is.

Reactions: stansdds

Aug 13, 2021
CT
It's an Edge and stuff behind the car/camera lack of fine detail.

It's not a low pro nor a jetsonic.

Looking at that pic and I bunch of Jet's, you are right on this. The angle of the speaker goes forward not backward or both ways. That must be an object on the fence of something the tape's poor quality didn't accurately pick up, unless the speaker is mounted backward which I doubt, but it is New Britain which ahs done other weird things. It probably is a blue-blue Edge without a speaker and allys as that's what I recall seeing in the 90s on the aero Caprices and few CVPI's before going back to red-blue on the newer LT1 '94-'96 Caprices. Do you recall what NB used in the mid to late 80s, did they go straight from Crossbar with senior strobes and red 184 in the center to the red-blue without ally's Edge?

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England

Looking at that pic and I bunch of Jet's, you are right on this. The angle of the speaker goes forward not backward or both ways. That must be an object on the fence of something the tape's poor quality didn't accurately pick up, unless the speaker is mounted backward which I doubt, but it is New Britain which ahs done other weird things. It probably is a blue-blue Edge without a speaker and allys as that's what I recall seeing in the 90s on the aero Caprices and few CVPI's before going back to red-blue on the newer LT1 '94-'96 Caprices. Do you recall what NB used in the mid to late 80s, did they go straight from Crossbar with senior strobes and red 184 in the center to the red-blue without ally's Edge?
I wasn't old enough to go to Hard Hittin in the 80's ....

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I wasn't old enough to go to Hard Hittin in the 80's ....
I'll know one of these days. Ma told me she remembers rotating lights in the 80s but is ignorant about emergency lighting, so she maybe remembering those 184s on the crossbars or maybe they used a 80-90h at some point like Stamford did.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.