Can SOS inline flasher be removed?

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
I am specifically asking about Soundoff LED HAW's and Intersectors. They will be wired to an external flasher. Can I cut out the inline flasher and wire them directly to my flasher, or will this fry the heads? I know they can be set to steady burn and flashed that way, but the wires between the flasher and LED heads on the Intersectors are already cut and I'd rather not have two splices in the wiring. And it would be easier to not have to stash away the flasher on the HAW's. Thanks for the help!

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Short answer no, long answer, you need to have an led driver in between the light and external flasher. The inline flasher provides regulated power as well as the "brains" of the device.

12v power source -> external flasher -> led driver -> led light.

The hard part is figuring out what type of led driver you need. It depends if the leds are setup in series or parallel, and whether or not they need a voltage boost or drop.

You might damage your light trying to figure it out, unless others here can chime in on what the soundoff haw requires.

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Okay, that's pretty much what I assumed, but thought I would ask. I'll just keep the inline flasher/driver wired in. Thanks for the speedy response!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.