Can these lights be used standalone?

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
This is one of the LED lights given to me. I only have 1. Is there any use for it as a stand alone or would it look very whacky???

I will have 2 LIN 3 mounted on a tail light bracket and 2 led grill lights up front. I will also have a strobe bar and strobe single dash mount. Could this CODE 3 RED LED fit in somewhere or would it just look ridiculous?

2004 Ford Explorer

IMG_20150316_034632.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The best thing for you to do is get rid of that...that 5 mm sho-me light won't punch thru anything (unless it's in the middle of the night and there is no street illumination within a mile). For the rear window, you really need a more modern TIR-type light for the rear window of your explorer

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's a Code3 LEDX. It's outdated technology that isn't particularly great. I'd sell it and use the few bucks u make to put towards funding some new blinkies

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
Heck, my first POV is going to be outdated! LOL, why stop now!!!

Whelen Edge 9000

Whelen Dash King Strobe

I at least will have 2 Whelen linear3 led lights mounted on a plate bracket.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Agreed with pdk9.  If you're going to use it, however, it should be light weight enough that 2 small bolts up through the headliner just inside the back door, with fender washers above the headliner, would work fine.

If you want to mount it directly to the glass I don't know, unless you maybe shorten the legs on those brackets and turn them 90-degrees so the part with the 3M double sided tape is facing backwards, and stick it to the rear window glass.  Cut the brackets down so the light is pressed firmly against the glass...if you do it at the bottom of the window you could also run a flat piece of metal from the body of the door to the back of the light, to help hold it.  Not sure how good that'd look however.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
double side sticky tape it to the outside of the window......

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
For poops and giggles I decided to activate it during the day light. I thought I could see it quite well through my back window at 100 feet. Not saying I don't agree with you about using it but it punched through my window better than expected.

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
I've used that budget light (briefly) as a 1st responder. After acquiring better quality hardware, that Sho-Me light found its way in a box with the Vertex LEDs. That light next to almost anything else wasn't good enough to be a 3rd brake light, let alone being used for emergency lighting.

But, if you want, make me an offer, and I'll send ya the Sho-Me light I have. Then you'll have TWO! LOL

uploadfromtaptalk1426772604232.jpg

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
Well I wish I could afford the higher priced lights but until baby 1 and 2 are out of diapers I will do with what I can get lol. I will have a pair of LIN3 WHELEN lights on a tail light bracket as well.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Well I wish I could afford the higher priced lights but until baby 1 and 2 are out of diapers I will do with what I can get lol. I will have a pair of LIN3 WHELEN lights on a tail light bracket as well.
I hear ya, but check out advanced warning lights (AWL). They have a Pulse dash light series at $60-100 new that are a very bright, without breaking the bank, and they have a sale on NOS cobra 2x that you can put in the rear window for about $100. And, there's no price on safety when you're responding brother

There is definitely nothing wrong with the LED-X you have from Code 3.   LED-X was one of Code 3's first products in the LED lighting arena.    They were fairly bright for being essentially generation one LED technology.    They blew away 911EP LED products who were the first LED lights in the Law Enforcement market. I had two double Code 3 LED-X lights red/blue in the back window of my 1993 Ford Crown Vic Patrol Vehicle towards the end of it's life cycle which I moved to my 1998 and then 2002 Crown Vic's when I got those.  Finally I gave them to a friend who is still using them to this very day in his unmarked Ford Expedition.   One thing about them....THEY LAST!   I'd put it up on a headliner to the front center or in the rear top center.   

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.