Can you slow down rotator motors?

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Anyone know a tip/trick where you can slow down the speed of a fast rotator motor? Why do some motors have capacitors across the + and - terminals and some motors don't? I heard somewhere you can use resistors in series circuit to do this, is that true? I like the slower motors better and can't seem to find any for sale, but I have a bunch of fast motors. Thank you!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Yes, a series resistor will work to slow a motor, within limits. The two-speed Federal FireBeam, for example, uses a 9V motor, running on 12-14V, for fast speed. With a 50 Ohm (1 or 2W) resistor in series, the motor voltage drops to about 9V for standard speed. I'm pretty sure all Federal fast rotators use 9V motors.

Other manufacturers (thinking of Code 3) seem to use the same motor, with different worm gears, to produce different speeds. Motors don't like undervoltage, so the combination of a series resistor and high gearing might not work as well.

The capacitors are for EMI reduction.

Reactions: DLBFalcon

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Yes, a series resistor will work to slow a motor, within limits. The two-speed Federal FireBeam, for example, uses a 9V motor, running on 12-14V, for fast speed. With a 50 Ohm (1 or 2W) resistor in series, the motor voltage drops to about 9V for standard speed. I'm pretty sure all Federal fast rotators use 9V motors.

Other manufacturers (thinking of Code 3) seem to use the same motor, with different worm gears, to produce different speeds. Motors don't like undervoltage, so the combination of a series resistor and high gearing might not work as well.

The capacitors are for EMI reduction.
Thank you! I'm trying to find some slow rotators to slow down some D-Tech rotators for a more distinct flash rather than a fast "twinkle". I noticed also the motor shaft on some motors is smaller diameter than other motors so I thought about the worm gears, but can't seem to find the same size diameter to fit unless I'm just looking in the wrong place. I'll try the 50 Ohm resistor and see how that works and do some more looking into finding a different worm gear more. (That's how I found out the hole diameters was different on some gears because I pulled one off a different motor.) I have a FireBeam and wondered how they did the two different speeds! Thank you for the help!

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I have wanted to do this on the Code 3 rotators on the rear of two of our trucks from years. Those beacons spin way too fast. But replacing worm gears is probably easier and more sensible than installing drop-down resistors to reduce voltage to the motors.

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I have wanted to do this on the Code 3 rotators on the rear of two of our trucks from years. Those beacons spin way too fast. But replacing worm gears is probably easier and more sensible than installing drop-down resistors to reduce voltage to the motors.
I'll try to find gears first, the resistors are just a "back-up" idea.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.