Can you synchronize multiple Liberty I/O boards?

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
So, as I've posted before, I'm on a quest to have a 3 level dual color LED setup that can run amber, blue or both in all three levels. I feel like I should change my screen name to Don Quixote...

Anyway, rereading my thread about repurposing a WeCan control point and contemplating choices. Looked into the PCC8R, which would work - if I relied on the built-in patterns and sync of the lightheads, but given that I like different features of different brands, I;m likely going to mix Code 3 and Whelen, which throws a wrench squarely in that.

So I though about using 2 SmartLogic flashers, one for amber one for blue. While that would work for blue or amber, from my research there's no way to sync two SLF's to allow a non-epileptic pattern if I try to run both. And that's $325 worth of just flashers with my still having to pair leads to at least 4 light heads.

Then I saw the comments by FusionWolf and Nolines and it got me thinking:

I use to have my whole car run off a Whelen liberty IO board installed in a project box.

What about using a liberty sc I/O board and running off the mpc, I had a thought about that myself.

So I did some research.

At first I thought about getting a Liberty II / Duo I/O board, and simply extending the leads to each of the light heads. This would allow me to have sync'd patterns for both colors and more than enough outputs. A Duo board runs $200. But Liberty I boards are cheap - anywhere from $15 to $90. (I've come to the realization that a CenCom of some sort is likely in my future (unless the I/O board can handle the programming by itself).

So could I install Board 1 to run amber, Board 2 to run blue, and have them communicate? Should I stop tilting windmills and just settle for a simpler setup?

Any advice is appreciated.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
This definitely intrigues me im thinking of doing something similar but with dual wecan boards but the patturns will overlap theres a 3rd pin on the LC boards though thats not used if 12v is applied it syncs the heads in the bar but I wonder if wireing those pins on 2 LC boards will sync them then you can select your patturns wire the second color board in a mirror image of the other board and go that rout if that won't work maybe use a freedom I/O board (wecan with control point) to serve your purpose

Reactions: Tango7

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
This definitely intrigues me im thinking of doing something similar but with dual wecan boards but the patturns will overlap theres a 3rd pin on the LC boards though thats not used if 12v is applied it syncs the heads in the bar but I wonder if wireing those pins on 2 LC boards will sync them then you can select your patturns wire the second color board in a mirror image of the other board and go that rout if that won't work maybe use a freedom I/O board (wecan with control point) to serve your purpose
I'm thinking more and more of going this route. Posted a "wanted" thread for a I/O board but no replies.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
You can run 2 wecan bars off of a single wecan module (I've done it with fully populated bars). So I dont see why running two io boards in one bar would be any different. Sync should match up as well.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
You can run 2 wecan bars off of a single wecan module (I've done it with fully populated bars). So I dont see why running two io boards in one bar would be any different. Sync should match up as well.
Would a duo wecan liberty io board run on the same wecan channel as a solo wecan board? Would be interesting

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
That I do not know. All the libbys I've dealt with this far are/were wecan singles or LC.

Reactions: Tango7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.