Cannon dual-color missing a single-color flash pattern?

the Tasty Cat

Jun 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hey Feniex - I'm installing eight of your cannons in a vehicle. There is a really good flash pattern that I can get in either of the single colors, but I can't get it when alternating between two colors. It's the same pattern that starts around the 48 second mark in this video:

Is there any way to make my Cannons do this flash pattern but alternating between the two colors? I just bought the Cannons so I assume they are the later version. Any chance firmware could give me that?

If I can't get that flash pattern on dual color, I may have to settle for using it in one color, much as I would hate to lose all the functionality of a dual color unit!

Otherwise these are just incredible units!

Thanks a lot!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
This patterns look way sped up... (And allan Jackson is a chimpmunk) but that is a dual color pattern...

It's like whelens action flash but not as copyrighted...

the Tasty Cat

Jun 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Haha, I wondered how he got Alan sounding so funny!!

So I synced my four rear Cannons together and videoed ran some tests. There are a bunch of rapid, alternating flash patterns that I can get in either white or amber, but when the Cannons run in dual-color mode the results are just weird. Lots of dead time between flashes - almost like it's trying but it's just slow and weird. Not very eye-catching at all compared to the single colors. I just made a YouTube (sorry that my phone camera quality is garbage) and I'm uploading it now. Will post it shortly - I think it demonstrates my issue pretty clearly.

Thanks a lot, all!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
There has to be some dead time or else you'll get a yellow blur.... Way too much white to the rear... And although it's not enforced ENOUGH in our state your violating TCA

Reactions: unlisted

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
After reviewing your video, they are functioning 100% correctly. You just have unrealistic expectations for them.

As Jarred said, way too much white to the rear. Also several studies have shown that slower flash patterns to the rear are more effective than fast ones. Easiest study to read about this is in the Florida Highway Patrol study on colors and pattern effectiveness.

Reactions: unlisted

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I dont care if my tag shows, im easily findable and am prepapred to take care of any issues LOL

This is the pattern you would be wanting to use... but id use the whites for back up and auxillary rear lighting...

Set up mode 3 as back up mode 2 as auxillary and 1 as warning...

Here's mine in red/amber

the Tasty Cat

Jun 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hey, that's cool - I totally respect that! I'm always the guy that has either exif data on photos or tags or serial numbers or whatever and I'm just so used to people posting "hey man, you may want to take that down" that now I do it just to avoid the conversation!

Really nice setup you have there. I actually have that very pattern as my stage 2 (stage 1 is cargo lamps and reverse lights, which override the others.) The reason I was looking for the faster one as well is I often need to be parked in the roadway and from time to time I'll need to be standing in the street for a few seconds operating loud machinery and keeping my eyes on the job, so especially when I'm doing that around a curve, I want people to notice both the truck and me as quickly as possible.

These cannons really are awesome - I have noticed the white seems substantially brighter than the amber, so I would like to use white as well but it makes sense that there could be *too* much white in the back. It does seem like traffic ignores amber - but it's tough all over.

Man, I really appreciate the help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.