Cannons - hyperflash after 30 seconds? Bad resistor?

the Tasty Cat

Jun 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hey all - installed Cannons and Sylvania load resistors that I got at O'Reilly's a little over a year ago. A few months ago I noted with dismay that after my left directional had been on for 30 seconds or so, it would begin to hyperflash. I figured that load resistor had gone bad and put off replacing it; now the right one has begun to do the same thing, though it seems to take a bit longer to hyperflash. I took a quick look under the hood and all the solder/heatshrink still looks brand new, just like the day I installed it; any ideas on what's up here? I called Sylvania and they'd only heard of one resistor ever going bad; what are the chances I've got two? Wondering if anybody else has encountered this.

Thanks a lot!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I've not encountered it, but I haven't used the sylvania load resistors...

what type of vehicle?

the Tasty Cat

Jun 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Thanks, Fever - it's a 2013 Sierra with the Cannons replacing the turn signals/running lights; there's two cannons per side but I've only got one load resistor per side. I wonder if each Cannon needs its own load resistor? Might be a good place to start? Also I wonder if it's becoming more of an issue because of the summer heat.

What's weird is that it works well for the first 30 seconds or so, which seems to imply all the connections are good and the resistors are working, just not for long; I know they're supposed to get stupid hot so perhaps they just can't handle two cannons AND summer heat...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
actually... we did run into that on that same vehicle. Ended up not using them as turn signals because of it. I had one resistor on each cannon and still got it after 30 seconds. We just didn't want to take the risk of having it come back so we bailed on that plan.

the Tasty Cat

Jun 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Ha - what are the chances!! OK, well you've saved me the effort of soldering in another two resistors. I hate to say I might just deal with it but what choice do I have - those Cannons really are in there to stay! If I was doing it over again I honestly wouldn't have bothered; the stock bulb extended much further forward into the housing than the Cannons, and even as 120s they really aren't hugely bright. Would rather have spent the time and money on other lighting - four of those really does add up!

Any theories as to why that happens on this certain vehicle? I'm really scratching my head...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ha - what are the chances!! OK, well you've saved me the effort of soldering in another two resistors. I hate to say I might just deal with it but what choice do I have - those Cannons really are in there to stay! If I was doing it over again I honestly wouldn't have bothered; the stock bulb extended much further forward into the housing than the Cannons, and even as 120s they really aren't hugely bright. Would rather have spent the time and money on other lighting - four of those really does add up!

Any theories as to why that happens on this certain vehicle? I'm really scratching my head...
honestly not sure on that vehicle. I tend to tell people if you absolutely have to have hide-a-ways get them... if not spend the money on surface mounts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.