CanTrol Backfeeding

FusionWolf

Hey all I got a bit of a conundrum.
I have a custom traffic advisor made of whelen 400 heads. I have it hooked into the traffic advisor port on the CanTrol unit however I cant get heads 4 and 6 to light. I used a power probe to check power and ground however I'm getting 12v both power and ground on the lights. I rechecked all my wiring and confirmed nothing is mixed up. Next I'm going to test the ports on the cantrol to make sure it's not outputting 12v on all ports, sadly the weather sucks outside so cant do it at the moment.
does anyone have any suggestions of what to look at or if I may have something programmed wrong? From what I'm seeing the traffic advisor output is only ground switching
Thank you all.

Nolines

Silver Supporter
Are all of the 400 series heads the same? I thought some were passive requiring a flasher, and some don't??

Nolines

Silver Supporter
And just for questions sake you did move another 400 into their places to make sure the leds do work?

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

And just for questions sake you did move another 400 into their places to make sure the leds do work?
I did not but I see no reason why they shouldn't work since they worked fine with the cencom sapphire that was hooked up before

MtnMan

Try metering individual pins directly at the Cantrol TA connector while it's plugged in and operating. Each pin should swing from +12V to 0V as the corresponding lighthead is activated. If pins 4 and 6 are staying at +12 constantly, you have a couple of open switching transistors in the Cantrol unit.

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

Try metering individual pins directly at the Cantrol TA connector while it's plugged in and operating. Each pin should swing from +12V to 0V as the corresponding lighthead is activated. If pins 4 and 6 are staying at +12 constantly, you have a couple of open switching transistors in the Cantrol unit.
Thank you. Im going to give this a try once the weather clears up

SafetyLighting

Are the ouput LED's on the Cantrol lighting up?

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

Actually question for you. Each pin should be grounding out no? The wiring diagram shows it as a negative switching unit with a common positive.
There shouldn't be a 12v signal on those at all right?

SafetyLighting

The outputs should be negative when active. If the LED's for the outputs aren't lighting up, then the outputs aren't working. Have you verified the programming?

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

The outputs should be negative when active. If the LED's for the outputs aren't lighting up, then the outputs aren't working. Have you verified the programming?
I did verify programming and 4 out of 6 heads work

Sounds like it's programmed for a 6 head TA, not an 8 head.
Forgive my stupidity but I did because I only have 6 heads. What effect does this have vs the 8 head

MtnMan

Actually question for you. Each pin should be grounding out no? The wiring diagram shows it as a negative switching unit with a common positive.
There shouldn't be a 12v signal on those at all right?
+12V will feed though the lightheads when they're not grounded.

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

That's correct, in the situation where the ground wire isn't grounded.
Ok. In that case then is it possible something is programmed wrong? I used the 6head TA option as I only have 6 heads on that TA.
Colors I used are:
Brown- drive outboard
Red- drive inboard
Orange-drive inner
Yellow- pass inner
Green-pass inboard
Blue-pass outboard
White- 12v+common

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

According to this document: https://www.whelen.com/install/138/13869.pdf, outputs 3 (Orange) and and 6 (Blue) are not used when connecting a 6-head TA. I know you said 4 and 6 weren't working, but this seems like too much of a coincidence.
That does seem too much of a coincidence. I wonder if I messed that up there. Might have flipped a wire on one of the heads. That atleast explains why head 6 isnt working! I'll have to flip those around tomorrow see if that changes it.
You might have solved it!

Nolines

Silver Supporter
Send mtnman a case of beer at this address.... It's Miller time!
Don't you love when you accidentally fumble finger something without realizing it and you did program it correctly!

OP
OP
FusionWolf

FusionWolf

According to this document: https://www.whelen.com/install/138/13869.pdf, outputs 3 (Orange) and and 6 (Blue) are not used when connecting a 6-head TA. I know you said 4 and 6 weren't working, but this seems like too much of a coincidence.
You were absolutely right! TA is up and running now flawlessly. It's very odd as the Command Software says blue and orange is used on a 6 head TA but a power prob confirms they are not.
Thank you so much for you help

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Members
Latest member
gary09