Cantrol Spazzing Out

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
So I have a gen 2 cantrol. Its worked pretty well for the last 7 months or so I've had it installed, however now its developed a glitch.
I'll preface this by saying it wasn't touched, it was reprogrammed, its had the same programming on it for the last 5 months. I have an input tied into the vehicles brakes to make a few modules go steady burn and use brake alert.
As of a few days ago any time I hit the brake it repeatedly blips the modules it is suposted to, shuts off the back light to the control pad, and causes the brake alert pattern to sometimes be displayed on the keypad if it doesn't shut it off completely. A few days ago I did a reset at the breaker to kill all power and it reset the system and all was working fine, today it started happening again.
Any suggestions on what might be the issue? What can be done to resolve this?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
This might make me sound like a simpleton, but have you tried reverting the programming on it? Flash it with your old setup or a generic Whelen one to see if it has any issues. If it does...sounds like a bad module; if it doesn't sounds like there is something in your brake light programming that it doesn't like.

Reactions: FusionWolf

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
This might make me sound like a simpleton, but have you tried reverting the programming on it? Flash it with your old setup or a generic Whelen one to see if it has any issues. If it does...sounds like a bad module; if it doesn't sounds like there is something in your brake light programming that it doesn't like.
I'm going to give it a try today with reflashing the programing. I don't think it bad programming as its the same programming thats been on it for the last 7 months without issue. I'm hoping the programming maybe just got corrupted

Reactions: tsquale

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Something that might be worth a look is the amount of current going to said input it might be too much current going to the input causing the input to act up or try programming to a different input and see if it repeats the issue on the other input if not its possible its a bad input

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
So like they say go to the simplest solution first. It turned out not to be an issue with Cantrol at all. Apparently there was enough corrosion on the battery positive terminal that it caused the main power line to the cantrol to only be receiving 8.2 volts. Cleaned up the corrosion and the unit is back working perfectly

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.