Caprice PPV and Impala: What Happens After 2017?

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
All accounts indicate that GM will no longer produce a long wheel-base sedan on its Holden platform in Australia after the 2017 model year.. including the Chevy Caprice Police Pursuit. This would leave General Motors with the Impala PPV as its only police sedan. Will the the Impala Police Package ever switch over to the newer generation Impala platform (Generation 10.. which started with the 2014 model year)? The only Impala police cars I know of are still being built on a dated body-style that ended for the rest of the market three years ago.

1chevrolet-impala-ppv-front-three-quarter.jpg 56_cc2400_032_G1W.jpg

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Both the Caprice 9C1 V8 and V6, along with the Impala 9C1, remaine the fastest top end police package vehicles on the market. The GM RWD vehicles will change platforms, and no doubt Chevrolet will produce a new RWD 9C1 vehicle.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The 2nd Gen (2006-) Impala 9C1 is scheduled to cease production at the end of this model year. The (Holden)Caprice PPV is scheduled to cease production at the end of the 2017 model year when Holden closes or re-tools that factory.
With the Tahoe PPV's higher up-front price I assume GM will want to compete in the sedan market share and build an updated Caprice PPV.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
The 2nd Gen (2006-) Impala 9C1 is scheduled to cease production at the end of this model year. The (Holden)Caprice PPV is scheduled to cease production at the end of the 2017 model year when Holden closes or re-tools that factory.
With the Tahoe PPV's higher up-front price I assume GM will want to compete in the sedan market share and build an updated Caprice PPV.

It sounds like no one is really sure what will happen with GM in the police sedan market going forward from 2017.

I sure don't see a lot of Tahoe PPVs out there anymore. Like ChiefOps said.. they're pretty expensive. They seem bulky too. Too large of a footprint.

Reactions: Tony P

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I work for an 85 man dept and the patrol fleet is exclusively Tahoe PPVs. Just had 10 2015's delivered over the past 2 months. Honestly our guys love them for patrol work, solid roomy and relatively quick.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
It sounds like no one is really sure what will happen with GM in the police sedan market going forward from 2017.

I sure don't see a lot of Tahoe PPVs out there anymore. Like ChiefOps said.. they're pretty expensive. They seem bulky too. Too large of a footprint.

I'm starting to see more and more Ford Utilities.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Chevrolet bean-counters forced GM Fleet to raise the Tahoe PPV & SSV base price approx $6000 this model year and that surely has affected purchase decisions.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
I remember reading in one of the Detroit newspapers last year that the Ford Interceptor Utility had overtaken all other police models in terms of market share in North America.

Assuming I stay with the fire service, my next vehicle will be a Ford Utility. I have a 2013 Tahoe right now, and I like it a lot, but the fuel economy sucks and the amenities are very sparce. The Ford seems to come with a bit more creature comforts, and the 2016+ models look SHARP with a good lighting setup. Only downside is that you have to trade towing capability (tahoe) for higher fuel economy (ford)

Impala9C1

Sep 28, 2018
Arizona
It is like there is no Impala Police Package but there kinda is? GM has a model pic all equipped like one to advertise but not much beyond that. When I looked it as an option on the site, it is not very impressive compared to what it use to be.

https://www.gmfleet.com/specialty-vehicles/police.html

https://www.gmfleet.com/specialty-vehicles/police/silverado-police-truck.html

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/2017-chevrolet-impala-joins-gm-police-fleet-lineup/
2017 Chevrolet Impala Joins GM Police Fleet Lineup

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: FCV96

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As I understand it it's at best an "administrative sedan", not a police or heavy duty platform, they've got all their police eggs in the SUV & pickup lineup

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I work for a small, 5 person department on an Interstate. We recently bought new cars.

We currently have 2011 Impalas (2), a 2010 Charger, and 2008 CVPI's (2).

The Impalas are awful. Small, not terribly reliable, hurting on performance, and small. The Charger has been a reliability nightmare, but is otherwise good. We all know the + and - with the CVPI.

I did fairly extensive research before we bought new cars. The Tahoe got good marks for reliability and comfort, but cost, performance, and size were it's downfall. The Charger left a bad taste in our mouth after our 2010 woes. The PIU has good performance, perfect size, decent price, and is comfortable. We ended up getting 4, all turbos.

If the Caprice was slated to continue I was going to seriously look into them. Although, I think they are RWD only, and AWD is a bonus for us.

Reactions: LRGJr72 and FCV96

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I'm amazed that this thread is almost three years old and there is still no clear answer on the possibility of a GM police sedan based on the Gen10 Impala.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Your Chargers were the last model year of that generation, the 2011s+ were/are a significant improvement. Should your agency ever reconsider sedans they should re-evaluate the Charger, even the 6 cyl. The PIU is an excellent platform for interior space & performance but fuel economy is it's weak link. That will improve with the next-gen next year.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I'm amazed that this thread is almost three years old and there is still no clear answer on the possibility of a GM police sedan based on the Gen10 Impala.

As I said earlier their current mindset is sedans are no longer viable as police cars so they're are all in with the SUV & pickup platform police vehicle.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The Gen 10 Impala will not be a consideration for us, we will not buy a FWD. Both of our Impalas needed transmissions and axles, one at 92,000 miles, the other at 108.

If we got the Charger, it'd be a Hemi AWD, but the problems have been throughout the car. Fuel pumps, suspension rebuilds multiple times, and electrical problems throughout the car unrelated to upfit. If they've gotten the electronics and suspension to last I'd be all ears, as they are a viable option for us.

We fear reliability problems with the PIU, but ours are leased for 4 years and under warranty that entire time.

Impala9C1

Sep 28, 2018
Arizona
My, agency had few Caprices and Taurus to evaluate. Mostly Explorer and even more Tahoe. The sedans were phased out a few years ago. I cant recall the last time I saw a sedan for patrol work except for a few scarce CVs that Glendale still has. We never had any full fledged Impalas just a few for detective/admin. Never gave them a full chance. Now we are slowly phasing out Tahoes for pickups. The engine in my Impala got replaced just under 100k miles. Warranty covered it. There was a lot of work done on it in the previous year, about 13k the dealership mentioned when I was talking about it in the service dept (it's 2nd home). The transmission is probably the most reliable part on it so far. With my gear, it is not very roomy but I still like it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.