CBS Report on NYPD switching to a hybrid fleet

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I've driven them all, the PIU hybrid is noticibly faster than the current base gas engine and fuel efficiency is demonstrably improved. Look forward to cycling into one when my current PIU cycles out in 3 years.

Reactions: Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
If anybody needs it, it’s NYC. Glad to see it’s an improvement on the Altima’s and the older Fusions that they’ve been in for a while. I would like to see data on 0-60 compared to charger, Tahoe, & Durango, though.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Salt Lake PD is interested in getting some more Crapota Camry hybrids to be more "green" They have a terrible winter inversion many times in the winter so improving air quality along the Wasatch front in utah has taken a big priority for many there.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Very impressive though for an SUV to hit 150 MPH. I'd suspect it's one of the fastest SUVs out there then. I think we'll see a good number of State Police agencies ditch the Charger V8 and go with the Exploders. Which is a shame because I find the Exploder to be very ugly and love the look of the Charger.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
And welcome to the 150 mph top speed segment at last, Ford. Chevy and Dodge had you beat for quite awhile now.
Top speed in that range is the most useless metric of that test. There isn't a police dept out there that would stand behind an officer doing 150mph for any reason. The number may be impressive but real world application it's pretty useless.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Ford continues to claim their turbo Explorers have a 150 top speed. What they fail to tell you is that they have factory installed limiters at 132.

That being said, having done 132 a few times, I wouldn't want to go much faster. Any faster.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I hear ya. Once you get above 120 in some vehicles, it's white knuckles for sure. But I recall the first time I did 140 in a 94 9C1 Caprice. The thing was smooth along I-70 as we had to go east about 40 miles to a trooper in distress call. We hit 144 MPH and then it just stopped accelerating. Felt like it had more power to go faster. Limiter, I suppose. One of the only times I've been over 140 MPH. But it was a nice increase over the 133 MPH that the old 91-93 Scuds (Caprice with the standard 5.7L non-LT1) would top out at. And definitely an improvement over the 115 MPH that the 89 and 90 Caprice box cars would get to. The later year Crown Vics (98+) seemed very smooth at high speeds too, they just took forever just to get to 130. My department did have a few of the 97-99 Tahoe Police Package 2WDs for awhile until they decided that Ford's were not so bad and went to the Crown Vic and eventually the Taurus and Exploder. The 2WD Tahoes were good to 135ish. But when you add a transfer case to the mix, I worry about those things failing. most Transfer cases are not rated for high speeds. My department ordered about 20 new 96 9C1 Caprices, but made an error and selected a tire with lower speed rating on it which meant the factory programmed top speed limiter was set much lower. 120 MPH. Where we were at, hitting speeds in excess of 130 MPH out on the highways was common when responding to backing up fellow officers, troopers, and other critical needs. We did allow persuits as well, but under carefully monitered guidelines by the shift supervisor and watch commander and of course your own best judgement.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.