Cencom Switch 8 Button

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
I just installed my cencom gold and have a question about isolated relay switch button 8. There are 3 wires for the button and I'm not sure which one to use. I want it to act like all of the other push buttons below it. It will be running my 4 hideaway LED's in the taillights. I hooked it up to the orange wire which is the common wire and they don't turn on. Which one should I hook it up to?

(BRN) - Isolated Relay (Normally Open) / 10 Amp Max.

(RED) - (Normally Closed) / 10 Amp Max

(ORN) - (Common) / 10 Amp Max - This is what I have it hooked up to now and nothing happens

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
NFD-102 said:
I just bought the cencom gold and I had a question regaurding outlets 9, 10, and 11. According to the diagram in the installation papers it says:

5. (BRN) - Outlet #9 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

6. (RED) - Outlet #10 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

7. (ORN) - Outlet #11 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

8. (YEL) - Outlet #12 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

Can I hook up LED lights to these. I was hoping to hook up a 911ep TD/WL24 to these. One would be left arrow, another right arrow, and the last will be warning mode. I know there are other inputs I can use but I already have them assigned to Grille Lights, Dash Lights, Interior Lightbar, Deck Lights, and HAW's. I wanted to Lightstick to be separate but don't know if the 250 mA Max is enough for them. Can someone help me out.

Thanks,

Ryan

the web site for that light says it pulls 1-7 amps 911EP | TD/WL Series so that would be to much to put on those circuts. Those outlets are used to triger functions in lightbars where all the power is ran thru a module.

vff0312

Dec 14, 2011
texas
Took a look at the spec sheet of the TD/WL24, and it says the minimum amperage is 1a. It didn't say much, so I don't know if the stick uses any relays.

Outlets 9-12 are normally used to trigger relays on, for example, a Liberty; Alleys, take downs, adviser, etc.

To put it short, no it will not work. Too much of a draw for the outlets.

NFD-102 said:
I just bought the cencom gold and I had a question regaurding outlets 9, 10, and 11. According to the diagram in the installation papers it says:

5. (BRN) - Outlet #9 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

6. (RED) - Outlet #10 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

7. (ORN) - Outlet #11 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

8. (YEL) - Outlet #12 (Low Current / 250 mA Max.)

Can I hook up LED lights to these. I was hoping to hook up a 911ep TD/WL24 to these. One would be left arrow, another right arrow, and the last will be warning mode. I know there are other inputs I can use but I already have them assigned to Grille Lights, Dash Lights, Interior Lightbar, Deck Lights, and HAW's. I wanted to Lightstick to be separate but don't know if the 250 mA Max is enough for them. Can someone help me out.

Thanks,

Ryan

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
The TD/WL series has a separate power wire for it's primary operation (red, fuse at 10A according to the install guide).

It doesn't say how much current the trigger wires need. I know it's not too major... but not sure of the amount.

I'd use relays off the cencom outputs.

http://www.911ep.com/PDF/TDWL%20Series%20Instructions.pdf

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
thanks everyone, is there software available for windows 7? Id like to know just so that when I call whelen tomorrow I know exactly what I need.

cyrix9445

Sep 20, 2011
Orlando, FL
NFD-102 said:
thanks everyone, is there software available for windows 7? Id like to know just so that when I call whelen tomorrow I know exactly what I need.

Is it a cencom gold or red? Gold is the newer revision of the cencom, and I'm pretty sure they have a version that is win7 compatible. Although, if it's the older red version I think you still can get it to work with win7, but you might have to do some tweaking. I remember seeing a thread on here not too long ago about cencom with windows 7.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
cyrix9445 said:
Is it a cencom gold or red? Gold is the newer revision of the cencom, and I'm pretty sure they have a version that is win7 compatible. Although, if it's the older red version I think you still can get it to work with win7, but you might have to do some tweaking. I remember seeing a thread on here not too long ago about cencom with windows 7.

Its the gold, I should have it by early next week.

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Yes, it'll work with Win7 64bit. I just programmed mine. However, with the Red version, you do need XP. To do this, you can download a virtual machine from Microsoft which'll run WinXP on your machine through a virtual interface. Works perfectly. Free, too.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
nluszcz said:
Yes, it'll work with Win7 64bit. I just programmed mine. However, with the Red version, you do need XP. To do this, you can download a virtual machine from Microsoft which'll run WinXP on your machine through a virtual interface. Works perfectly. Free, too.

Cool...can't wait to program this baby up!! Thanks for all the assistance!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You'll need to connect the load to the normally open terminal, and then connect +12v DC to the common terminal.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
shues said:
You'll need to connect the load to the normally open terminal, and then connect +12v DC to the common terminal.

thanks, so what your saying is I have to hook the HAW's up to both wires, orange and brown?

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
No. Ignore brown, and orange. Hook straight to red.

Brown is always on, unless you push the switch. Switch ON = power OFF. I learned this the hard way lol.

RebelLiners

Jan 28, 2012
Attica NY
Ok I am in the same boat I have a Whelen cencom gold and a whelen LFL liberty bar a 2 wire arrow stick or traffic Adviser thinking its really a 3 wire 1 wire is lft other is rt and one is yellow flash which I normally run to a slide switch but I think on the cencom I should run lf to 9 and rt to 10 also think the 3rd wire can be put to the flash switch on cencom? Also if I am right I can program one of the slide switches to automatically turn flash on in full response mode also anyone know if I hit the dir switch if it will override the flash pattern and does the arrow stick work in full response mode in say pos 3? Last question if the 9 and 10 are right where I said where can I put my lf rt and center alleys they are halogen and the rest of the bar is all led .I wanted old school strobes on aux 1 it’s a 10 amp outlet 4 and grill lights on aux 2 outlet 5 10amp. And not to ramble on I don’t know where to put this Whelen Alpha Q siren amp it’s a 10amp HELP lol:confused:

vff0312

Dec 14, 2011
texas
RebelLiners said:
And not to ramble on I don’t know where to put this Whelen Alpha Q siren amp it’s a 10amp HELP lol:confused:

I am guessing you mean the alpha 12Q? Don't run the main power lead to the Cencom itself. Connect that to your battery, and then depending on what tones you want, make a wiring harness from the amp to the Cencom outputs.

RebelLiners

Jan 28, 2012
Attica NY
vff0312 said:
I am guessing you mean the alpha 12Q? Don't run the main power lead to the Cencom itself. Connect that to your battery, and then depending on what tones you want, make a wiring harness from the amp to the Cencom outputs.

yes its the Alpha 12Q first addition power to mainline or batt got it I want to run it in manually RLS OR Momentary I know the red wire with in line 10amp fuse will ho to batt but the other red and control wire for Q? goes to? Cencom sw4-sw8 or aux1 or aux2 when I had it hooked up to my SS I had to use two switches one to turn it on and other to ramp up and down Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.