Charger Tint

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
So its time to tint. What is usually used in the field? Just looking to see the tint levels most of the installers use on here (or someone has on their vehicle). Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
pov's here are 25% now.

alot of cruisers around here are 0%

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
25%? The commonly sold tints around here are 5, 20 and 35 with 20 being the legal limit on civilian vehicles. The driver/passenger windows cannot be tinted and neither can the windshield.

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Last I checked in 35% for front and rear doesnt seem to matter. As long as the front is regulated to some extent. I could be mistaken.

bobbyaa

May 22, 2010
DFW, TX
I've seen everything from no tint (what we have now) to 0% tint. Yeah...0% keeps the sun off of you and doesn't let people see in your car...but you can't see out at night either. I've been in a car and almost been hit because the idiot driving wouldnt roll down the window to see out at night before pulling out in front of a car.

Go with what's legal in your state. I would be hard pressed to write a tint ticket when mine isn't even legal.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
bobbyaa said:
Go with what's legal in your state.

And this is the key point... Here, you can't have anything on the windshield, 50% on the front side windows, and as dark as you want behind the driver.

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Dualy noted. I have no desire to be blacked out....just probing around to get some input to see if there is a common ground. Thanks for the help guys!

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I have started to apply my own tint. My last car had 20% on all windows except front row and windshield factory applied. I liked it. It is the darkest that you can still see though comfortably IMO. On my current car i bought 3 rolls of 20% from walmart and am slowly applying it. It is coming out well! I did not go with 5% (the next available level down in my area) because i am worried that i will have trouble seeing through the back window and rear windows when making lane changes, etc.

35% is too light to make a difference IMO.

PM me if you have any questions about how to do it yourself. If you want to save your self the hassle (but be about $200 lighter) then go to a professional shop.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
NYS Limit is 70% light transmital through the front windows and no limit on the rear doors/windshield. I'm getting 20% all the way around however for my POV...

Not sure on the law for CT.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Here is TN, the state legal limit is 35% all the way around (exlcuding windshield below the AS1 line) for civilian vehicles, excluding any type of factory tint (SUVs) and on pickups where the back glass can be spray painted black if you so desire. However, TCA (Tennessee Code Annotated) excludes all LE vehicles from the tint laws. LE in TN can go as dark as they want. The Chief Deputy here has 5% all the way around on his unmarked which is rather ridiculous IMO because all he does is run through the middle of town at 70-75 mph to get to the other red light (yes, we only have 2 red lights in our town) so he can hit his brakes. I am not being sarcastic here. This is God's honest truth. Either way, my suggestion is just like all others, check your state tint laws to see if your application is excluded. If it isn't, stick with the legal limit. It will cause less headache for you on down the road.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
hitman the law changed a few months back.

We have a tint place next door to my work.

Also when the local boys got one of them thar new tint readin devices (not the cards) One of my friends pulled me over just to play with the new meter.

both the tint shop and the fuzz said its now 25% except front windows.

BTW: my window tint is 20% all the way around on my car. and my pick up is 35% only because texas was real strict about tint when i had it done there.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Jarred J. said:
hitman the law changed a few months back.

We have a tint place next door to my work.

Also when the local boys got one of them thar new tint readin devices (not the cards) One of my friends pulled me over just to play with the new meter.

both the tint shop and the fuzz said its now 25% except front windows.

BTW: my window tint is 20% all the way around on my car. and my pick up is 35% only because texas was real strict about tint when i had it done there.

Well, dang!! 25% is nice!! That's a lot better than that old 35% law. 35% don't do anything IMO!!! Good to know. Thanks, man!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.