Cheap and Easy was to mount a light to your headliner....

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
After rigging out several cars for a local agency (an agency that could not afford to purchase vehicle specific mounts, AND requested no permanant holes / signs that equipment had been mounted in their Lease vehicles) I came up with a cheap and easy was to mount lightweight LED's to the front and rear headliners.....

You simply cut a length of wire coat-hanger (yes....coat-hanger) and bend one end in a "U" shape, which is captured by the side mounting screw on the side of the light head. Then you poke the wire through the hedliner, then bend it over 90 degrees on the inside of the headliner. Do that on the other side of the light...and like magic, your light is held in place, tight against the headliner. When you remove the light....the hole where the wire pierced the headliner is so small that you'll never see it. I've done this on the front and rear headliners.

crappy cell phone pics..

ai208.photobucket.com_albums_bb218_tompatterson18_0602111153_01.jpg

ai208.photobucket.com_albums_bb218_tompatterson18_0602111153_02.jpg

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
MESDA6 said:
What keeps this from going airborne in an accident or rollover?

My guess is the headliner.

Question - if your using coat hanger, why pierce the headliner. Seems like you could mount it to the light the same way, but make the loop long enough that you could angle it forward towards the windshield and then back between the roof and headliner several inches. I bet it would stay put just fine.

Reactions: Jerkson

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
WS224 said:

Question - if your using coat hanger, why pierce the headliner. Seems like you could mount it to the light the same way, but make the loop long enough that you could angle it forward towards the windshield and then back between the roof and headliner several inches. I bet it would stay put just fine.

Or, over to the sun visor mounts???

jetstream1

Nov 17, 2010
IN
maybe adding a pic to this post of what the coathanger looks like once bent for installation. and i think i would paint the wire myself with satin black paint, to blend in even more with the light.

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
How firmly is the light actually held in place? I'd be afraid that during a pursuit, or even the way some people respond to some high priority calls, it may come down and smack you in the face...

spike91

Jun 11, 2010
New York
Can you post some directions/pictures of the process? I've been looking for an alternative to my hard mount, I can't get it high and tight enough and its starting to aggravate me a bit

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
Sorry I havent gotten back sooner...I didnt know my thingy had posted! I'll take some more detailed pics of the process, and add them to this thread asap.

FWIW....as long as you make your bends tight...the wire holds the light up against the headliner tighter than hell!

stay tuned for more pics....

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
+1 on painting ten coat hanger black. You could probably even just brush it with touch up paint. Wouldn't stand out nearly as much.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Auto fix on the iPad got me.......paint the coat hanger, not paint ten coat hanger.

turnz

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
WS224 said:
Auto fix on the iPad got me.......paint the coat hanger, not paint ten coat hanger.

It might be more effective use of time to paint ten coat hangers at once. lol

I am thinking that black epoxy Appliance paint would be good here. It comes in a pen and a white out type bottle with brush.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i mounted my micro man lights in my car with wire "pipe hanger"

notice thats pipe hanger and not pipe cleaners... :dielaugh:

works like a charm.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
O-kay,... but I would have took the custom route with customized brackets that doesn't require any cuts, holes, etc. and holds it like a rock & snug on the windshield to eliminate flash-backs. As for "painting" the wire, least effective method would be a Sharpie, most effective are industrial paint markers that marks ANYTHING except liquids.

lacopenproline.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ark_firefighter said:
Pics please

theyve been posted for months.

look for my thread "microman lights through 20% tint"

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
WS224 said:
+1 on painting ten coat hanger black. You could probably even just brush it with touch up paint. Wouldn't stand out nearly as much.

They also have that plastidip ... that plastic dip stuff you can coat anything in..... could probably even give it more strength!! What do you think?? Comes in different colors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Jarred J. said:
theyve been posted for months.

look for my thread "microman lights through 20% tint"

I think he meant of the mounting brackets

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
What a great idea! I was looking for a way to mount a talon to my headliner and this solved the problem. I started out with it in the front, but I couldn't get it in the center so I moved it to the back and that looks pretty good (I might keep it there.) It took me about 20 minutes to cut and bend the wire the way I wanted it but it mounted up super quick in both spots, and was nice and tight against the headliner. Here are a few pictures I took.

Front:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo11.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo21.jpg

Back:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo32.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo4.jpg

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
WS224 said:

The problem that I see with this idea is that the full weight of the light will be cantilevered from the bend points, with the weight and the support trying to go different directions.

The way presented by the OP suspends the weight directly below the support points, and the screws keep the hooks from easily unbending.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
tom said:
What a great idea! I was looking for a way to mount a talon to my headliner and this solved the problem. I started out with it in the front, but I couldn't get it in the center so I moved it to the back and that looks pretty good (I might keep it there.) It took me about 20 minutes to cut and bend the wire the way I wanted it but it mounted up super quick in both spots, and was nice and tight against the headliner. Here are a few pictures I took.

Front:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo11.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo21.jpg

Back:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo32.jpg

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_photo4.jpg

Looks pretty good!!

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
SireLite said:
What does it look like from outside?

I took one of both the front and back. Like I said, I didn't like it in the front so I moved it to the rear. In the rear the lights are hard to see because I have window tint, but I like that.. more stealthy.

Front:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_Lights_photo12_1.jpg

Back:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a330_tomnorcross_Lights_photo22.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ark_firefighter said:
Pics please

ok i took some pics for another thread im about to do so heres the before...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_Microman_20G3_0705111733_1.jpg

after....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_Car_20Stuff_0227111708.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_Car_20Stuff_0227111709.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_Car_20Stuff_0227111700a.jpg

they havent moved the headliner grabs the pipe hanger. I left it long to help stabilize the weight. just used a couple of nuts and bolts to attach it to the light head and then wedged it up there.

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
I have found the easiest way to mount a light to the headliner (whelen dual talon) is to have the headliner mount for it....take that put it in a vise grip, take out your 1 inch hole saw and drill a hole in the center of the side that goes on the roof. next you mount it onto you dual talon, go into your car (my crown vic), take out your special star shaped screw driver and remove the little clip for the sun visor. next you'll take the clip and put it in the mount for the light and screw it back into the hole. this makes for a very tight , very clean, no damage to the headliner and it is tucked snug with the windscreen so you have no flashback and it is out of sight line in the little tinted area. and there you have it the best way to mount a dual talon to the headliner of a crown vic and it should work with any other model car :woot:

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
MEVS06 said:
intresting, anymore info on this

Its quiet simply actually, one of our town mechanics came up with the idea and our town has been using it on all of its cruiser because of its sturdy hold on the light and the no drilling or screwing into the headliner. You just take the talon or avenger headliner bracket (same thing) drill in the center (the side with 3 holes on each side....the other side has 2 rows or about 10 holes for the light do not drill that side!) fit your light onto the side with the rows of holes. take off the clip that holds the sun visor up slide the mount into position, put the clip back in, screw it tight back into position and voila your talons or avengers are outta sight and tucked tight up with the windshield :thumbsup:

Reactions: Jerkson

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
Pictures of this please? I would really like to get my dual TNs out of my line of sight with the suction cup bracket X__X

NHFD104

May 25, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Take the suction cups off the bracket and use 3M tape to stick it to the windsheild on the glass right up next to the headliner. I have done a ton of them that way. No drilling and no special brackets needed.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
NHFD104 said:
Take the suction cups off the bracket and use 3M tape to stick it to the windsheild on the glass right up next to the headliner. I have done a ton of them that way. No drilling and no special brackets needed.

Is that the same stuff they use on the EZ-Pass things?

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
LawrenceM1993 said:
Is that the same stuff they use on the EZ-Pass things?

I think he is talking about the super mount tape, or that grey tape.

I have personally used the same "clear super lock" velcro that 3M makes to mount lights and it works perfect. That is the same stuff they use with the easy pass.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
My dash lights are mounted directly on the windshield using black 3M VHB tape. This is the same stuff auto manufacturers use to hold body moulding and trim to the exterior of vehicles. The lights have been through several -40C winters and +35C summers and never budged. When it comes time to take them off, a few shots of Goo Gone and voila, back to normal.

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
I want to try this wire hanger trick with my LS12. Can somebody please post a few pics of the entire mount BEFORE its mounted so I and everybody else can see how to do it? Words can't describe it as well as pictures. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.