Check out this mess: New Chicago Ambulance

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
So I was surfing around YouTube and I found this gem. It's a new CFD Ambulance and EVERY SINGLE WARNING LIGHT (excluding the grill and intersection lights) is the dreaded "x" pattern! I don't know who thought this was a good idea . . . thing doesn't even flash! It kinda shimmers and flickers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RideRed1990

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I looks steady burn...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's a sad day when you would even settle for normal split fail as an improvement!

2 of our newer Horton rescues have a similar problem; all but 2 of the 12 M9's on the box suffer from the Whelen scan pattern (so IMO they're only effective 1/10th of the time, when they're not in some ping pong or other stupid pattern)

Reactions: John and Storm4200

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
It's just about as bad the ambulances on "Nightwatch." Show follows New Orleans public safety (fire, police, and EMS). Tons of light heads. No Sync. Mix of red, white, and blue.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I looks steady burn...
I think steady burn would be more effective than this. 

It's a sad day when you would even settle for normal split fail as an improvement!

2 of our newer Horton rescues have a similar problem; all but 2 of the 12 M9's on the box suffer from the Whelen scan pattern (so IMO they're only effective 1/10th of the time, when they're not in some ping pong or other stupid pattern)
I totally agree, I don't know why these patterns are even offered. They're useless and in cases like this, DANGEROUS. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
With Whelen being one of the big names in lights, why do they even make such a terrible pattern?
My guess is, because people will buy it. Not so much that it's useful, but someone out there will think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Kinda like we often see with split fail lights and the people on Facebook.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Cool and approved are both offered. That's why only some patterns meet certain approvals under certain specs.

You would think ambulances would have to meet these specs.
Ambulance specs / regs are voluntary, location based and often some types of depts are officially or unofficially exempt.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I think when there are only a couple of those heads it's fine but a lot like that just makes it a mess.

jmccarthy

Nov 9, 2013
ne ohio
Not impressed but i did hear someone say a while ago that buying big lightheads like that and flashing them whole was stupid and your not using them to their full potential if you dont use a split pattern. Major facepalm moment

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The flash pattern looks too fast to me.  If it was slowed down a bit it might be easier to look at.

KK4SDN

Dec 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
I think Virginia Beach did their trucks right. All of the units follow this layout of flashing solid except the light over the wheel because of it being split color.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
umm the grill lights are split single colors, and the ones on the fender are split red white... :undecided:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I think Virginia Beach did their trucks right. All of the units follow this layout of flashing solid except the light over the wheel because of it being split color.
And the ambo has a mechanical Q siren. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Ive never seen that on a ambulance, up here.

Is it really that big of aproblem to have to mark the EV with that?
More often than not, IMO, most US drivers on the road fall into 2 categories:

1) tailgate EVs responding code 3 out of sheer stupidity, not knowing that they can come to a screeching halt at any second

2) tailgate EVs responding code 3 to try and beat the traffic, not caring how dangerous it is

Most people ignore the the "Keep Back __ Feet" that most fire/EMS vehicles have (I guess they think it applies to everyone in the world except them) so some depts went with the "do not follow"

Personally, I wish we could write "Stay the F#@K back or we're gonna start throwing shit at your car," but our city commissioners would probably have a problem with that

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
That is how one of the new ambulances at my last service was set up. Was told not to touch it...needless to say, the verbal lashing was well worth it seeing the lights sync'd. :thumbsup:

Always better to ask for forgiveness is what my chief told me... :D

Shouldn't these rigs come synced from the factory? Synchronization should be a factory standard. Maybe allow the user to change flash patterns but from a centrally located flasher unit that is controlling all of the lights. Watching the flash pattern mess on 'Nightwatch' is quite bothersome - especially those front grille Whelen Dominators.

Reactions: firebuff17

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Maybe it's on a "community interaction & public relations" mission--an ambulance dedicated just to responding to DISCO CLUBS, RAVES, & PSYCHADELIC DANCE HALLS for overdoses, & similar medical emergencies.

They bring the additional blinky-lights to parties, keeping the tweakers happy, so it's a win-win?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.