Cheetah CH28 mini lightbars from Gladstone FD

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Clever way to make colored halogen bulbs. Are those mirrors plastic panels?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Wow...wonder why this design wasn't more popular?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I had some of those glass bulb filters 20 something years ago. IIRC they had a higher rate of overheating the bulb. Don't care though, wish I still had them. Nice grab!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Yes, the bulb sleeves were something new to me. Those are glass. The mirrors are also actual glass mirror.

I would assume so, since plastic so close to a halogen bulb would turn into melted mess.

Reactions: tsquale

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I hope he puts something period correct on that engine. The bars are cool and look better in your collection than on that truck IMHO.

Reactions: stansdds
Those are cool minibars! The flashes really pop. Colored plastic domes reduce candle power output significantly (red is worst…up to 85% CP loss). Glass allows much more CP output, but to make red glass, gold is added to the molten glass ($$$). I used Pyrex tubes with hobby store “stained glass” dye on my DMS. Never had issues with heat buildup.
B3D313F0-421D-45AC-8838-800679054EDA.jpeg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Finally got them on display with my other Cheetah mini. Note that the blue domed one has an extra metal strip along the base. That is to hide the magnets as it was a magnet mount model with cig plug. They are otherwise the same and it still irritates the heck out of me that the seller I got the blue one from shipped it without packing material, damaging it.20221124_234950.jpg

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Able 2 offered those colored bulbs as an option for the early halogen "hideaways". Instead of corner strobes, you could do hideaways in halogen w/ a flasher. They were basically glass test tubes epoxied to the 795X bulbs. I have a bunch left-over at the shop... I used them in a Jetstream I ran, back in the day, on my own truck. That way there were no filters in the Jet to ID my truck, kind of like an LED bar, nowadays. My own version of a "stealth unit". The reds were pretty dark but the color was true. The ambers were nice and the blues were pretty washed-out, even when they were new but that was the only option.

Attachments

• Able2 795R.jpg
    Able2 795R.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 9

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Able 2 offered those colored bulbs as an option for the early halogen "hideaways". Instead of corner strobes, you could do hideaways in halogen w/ a flasher. They were basically glass test tubes epoxied to the 795X bulbs. I have a bunch left-over at the shop... I used them in a Jetstream I ran, back in the day, on my own truck. That way there were no filters in the Jet to ID my truck, kind of like an LED bar, nowadays. My own version of a "stealth unit". The reds were pretty dark but the color was true. The ambers were nice and the blues were pretty washed-out, even when they were new but that was the only option.
I'd be interested in buying 2 red and 2 blue of those bulbs from you if they're for sale.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.