Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 Pictures from Police & Security Expo

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
As the owner of multiple B-Body Caprice 9C1s, past and present, I'm disappointed at the route GM took with this car as I think they had a unique opportunity, but at least the Caprice 9C1 is back in the game.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
As the owner of two impala ss's currently (95 and 96 DGGM), and have driven many 9c1's, i love this thing and will order one for me!

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
kadetklapp said:
As the owner of multiple B-Body Caprice 9C1s, past and present, I'm disappointed at the route GM took with this car as I think they had a unique opportunity, but at least the Caprice 9C1 is back in the game.

I tell you what though...I'm looking forward to that 6.0 LS2 motor...especially compared to the 5.7 LT1 with it's wonderful Opti-Spark ignition system... ;)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Floor shifter... awww.flopturnriver.com_pokerforum_images_smilies_puke.gif

cory y

May 21, 2010
if the floor shifter is going to be a deal breaker, you need to get over that and evolve.

everything can be worked around.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
You could always just install the floor shifter out of the g8's!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
fireman29b said:
I read somewhere that the production model won't have the floor shifter...
I'd be suprised if it doesn't have a floor shifter. As yet there is no indication of any change of shifter, I know a few guys who actually either build them or supply bits to make them.

Fast LT1 said:
You could always just install the floor shifter out of the g8's!
It's the same shifter, since they are pretty much the same car except for the length.

That pushbar looks rubbish.

I wonder if this would fit?[Broken External Image]:http://www.holden.com.au/Satellite?...goBlobs&blobwhere=1236922120497&ssbinary=true

Commodore "roobar"

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
The Caprice PPV WILL NOT, I REPEAT WILL NOT have a floor shifter, it will have a column shifter. But with some extensive modification you can install a g8 console and shifter into a caprice.

Oh and technically they have not decided whether to market a version to the public or not, but you can still order the PPV through a chevy dealership, as i have already talked to one of my friends who is a Manager at a Chevrolet Dealership.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The shifter is going to be placed where it belongs,. on the colum.

It will be at least 2 years from release before a private individual will be able to purchase one new. Your dealer knows as much as any of us know about the car, if not less. Price has not been set, nor have terms to distruibute. chevy is really big on stealing what little thunder the Carbon flop has, and will keep it exclusive to LEO's for a while. Not every dealer will be able to sell the caprice, and the ones who do get to will be under strict agrements to keep to the rules, or lose their privilage to sell the Caprice. No doubt there will be a minimum order of 3, and the car's will be sold to the dealer per agency order. The common practice of selling damaged in transit will not be there. If the car's are damaged to that point, they will be crushed and written off.

The desire to bop the Carbon dream on the nose is one factor, the other is very simple. By with holding the car from the public, yet putting it out there for them to see and drool over every day, will casue intense demand and allow the G8 to come back strong and hot! But it will still be different from the Caprice, a little smaller, but no doubt faster!

Say I am wrong today, but remember I am right later!

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
AFAIK, GM has never sold any 9C1 cars "on order" to civilian customers. You can't go into a Dodge dealership and order an AHBP package Charger, they won't sell it to you (I tried in 2007). The only "new" 9C1s I know of being sold to civilians were damaged-in-transit cars, contract over-runs, or the "flip-flopped" North Carolina Highway Patrol cars which were painted incorrectly....ALL OF THEM! Those cars were sold for chump-change to anyone who would buy them.

I agree, they will withhold the Caprice to make the rest of the motoring public drool.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
My dealer handles all LEO cars for my city, what they do is put in an order for that municipality and they will add an extra car or two, complete the order then re-sell the car to a civilian. I've seen this done with the tahoes. Im not saying that they are not suppose to do this or not, because im not sure, but i know they did it with the Tahoes so they will probably do the same thing with the Caprices.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
cory y said:
if the floor shifter is going to be a deal breaker, you need to get over that and evolve.

everything can be worked around.

Its a logistics issue for many. SO, it will be the company that has to get over it and supply what the customer demands.

A slick center section is essential.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
Fast LT1 said:
My dealer handles all LEO cars for my city, what they do is put in an order for that municipality and they will add an extra car or two, complete the order then re-sell the car to a civilian. I've seen this done with the tahoes. Im not saying that they are not suppose to do this or not, because im not sure, but i know they did it with the Tahoes so they will probably do the same thing with the Caprices.

If GM gets wind of that, your dealership will get it's pee-pee spanked for asshattery in the 2nd degree.

When it comes to stuff like that, public safety is rightfully 1st in line. Civvies will get theirs eventuually.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
11b101abn said:
If GM gets wind of that, your dealership will get it's pee-pee spanked for asshattery in the 2nd degree.
:lol:

kadetklapp said:
The only "new" 9C1s I know of being sold to civilians were damaged-in-transit cars, contract over-runs, or the "flip-flopped" North Carolina Highway Patrol cars which were painted incorrectly....ALL OF THEM! Those cars were sold for chump-change to anyone who would buy them.
I've seen plenty of pictures of NCHP patrol vehicles of all ages with a silver-on-black scheme and with a black-on-silver scheme... Or was it an upside-down version of the '97 Crown Vic paint job?

aimages46.fotki.com_v1506_photos_4_49373_290663_rnpca3708_vi.jpg

aimages12.fotki.com_v237_photos_4_49373_2788847_cnpca3529_vi.jpg

aimages12.fotki.com_v243_photos_4_49373_1270520_cnpca3708_vi.jpg

aimages19.fotki.com_v275_photos_4_49373_327423_cnpca14059_vi.jpg

aimages32.fotki.com_v1109_photos_4_49373_5836924_cnpca9739_vi.jpg

aimages51.fotki.com_v750_photos_4_49373_290663_npca0616_vi.jpg

aimages33.fotki.com_v1115_photos_4_49373_5836924_cnpca9738_vi.jpg

aimages31.fotki.com_v1101_photos_4_49373_2944596_cnpca9896_vi.jpg

awww.funnycopblog.com_images_NC_20Fury.jpg

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2767_4055289515_d4614e875a.jpg

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I heard they were trying out the new paint on the new cars and also some commercial enforcement... I think it looks better.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
This was not acceptable in 1995. NCHP ordered a specific color package from GM. GM failed to do this correctly and defaulted their contract. This was widely publicised at the time.

[Broken External Image]:http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3937/3641/22341820010_large.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3937/3641/22341820005_medium.jpg

I can't find the picture right now, but the cars were lined up all around the track at the state fairgrounds in Raleigh(?) after the state refused to take possession of them.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Yea i remember that, they couldn't give those cars away, dunno why though, because i liked them, my friend Aaron bought one for like $11,000 new.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Interesting... coz from the pictures above, it looks like all kind of silver/black combinations had been in use at one time or another.

Radio Button Layout.JPG

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
TheGatekeeper said:
Interesting... coz from the pictures above, it looks like all kind of silver/black combinations had been in use at one time or another.

It has. However, for whatever reason, NCHP didn't want those cars in that configuration. Someone goofed the order form and it cost GM a huge amount of money. In 9C1 circles, those cars are HIGHLY sought after. If I had the means and the space, I'd pay $20,000 for a mint-condition upside-down NCHP car and be glad to do it. Is it worth that much? Probably not, but I'd love to have one. :twisted:

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Finally found the "state fair" picture of the upside down 9C1s-

akh2pm.dynip.com_9c1_95_nchp_9c1_upsidedownpaint.jpg

And I made a previous statement that I'd pay 20 grand for one of those in mint condition, I will say now, that I would pay $25,000-$30,000 for one. If only I had a disposable income.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
\ said:
The shifter is going to be placed where it belongs,. on the colum.

The Caprice will have floor shifter. At the Police and Security Expo in Nj, the Gm Rep said the shift will be staying on the floor, however, it will be moved up a little. So yes another big fail for GM.

Tri-State PSE

May 21, 2010
Middletown, Ohio
I'm just glad to see Chevy back into the Police "Car" game. :)

I did notice something though:

In the description it states that the push-bumper has Chinese lights on it???

WHAT? :eek:

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Tri-State PSE said:
I'm just glad to see Chevy back into the Police "Car" game. :)
I did notice something though:

In the description it states that the push-bumper has Chinese lights on it???

WHAT? :eek:
:eek: :shock: :shock: :( :| :? :?

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
And confirmed in the latest spec release on the website. Iirc the shifter is actually electronic so moving it isn't an issue anyway. The big issue I think is the stupid parkbrake lever, it's a pain in the civilian cars so god knows what it's like in Police use. Although a few cops I know don't have any concerns.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Im a big boy so i cant be in one of those little girly cars i need a real police car not some little economic plastic car. I drive a 2010 Tahoe in my PD or the very reliable work horse Crown Vic Police Interceptor. I love the roar of that beast :cool:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
kadetklapp said:
AFAIK, GM has never sold any 9C1 cars "on order" to civilian customers. You can't go into a Dodge dealership and order an AHBP package Charger, they won't sell it to you (I tried in 2007). The only "new" 9C1s I know of being sold to civilians were damaged-in-transit cars, contract over-runs, or the "flip-flopped" North Carolina Highway Patrol cars which were painted incorrectly....ALL OF THEM! Those cars were sold for chump-change to anyone who would buy them.

I agree, they will withhold the Caprice to make the rest of the motoring public drool.

There are ways for a civilian to buy a new PPV or SSV to their specs from Ford, Dodge or GM. Its all about who you know. There are a few people on CVN who spec ordered their CVPI's.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
FireEMSPolice said:
There are ways for a civilian to buy a new PPV or SSV to their specs from Ford, Dodge or GM. Its all about who you know. There are a few people on CVN who spec ordered their CVPI's.
Those dealers are playing with fire. I worked for Holden and there was no way I was able to order a 9C1 Commodore to spec, surplus/cancelled order was possible but so rare it's a moot point. GM policy was Police package was only available to police, absolutely NO civilian orders. To be honest in the Commodore's case the 9C1 package isn't much different from the retail model, and the special bits are available to retail customers anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.