Chevy 3500HD Project

commdir911

Dec 30, 2010
USA MA
Greetings again everyone. This (the old) site was such a great help with my trailblazer I figured I'd venture back for my new project.

Vehicle: Chevy HD3500 Crew Cab, Short bed, (4x4, single) with an ARE Cap (dual rear doors).

With an equipment budget of $15k or less, how would you equip the truck?

Some of my initial thoughts:

I'd really like a console that would be wide enough for two radios / head units side by side. Not sure if it will even fit.

Will also use a Cencom :)

All LED (Red, Yellow or White)

Those are the only guidelines. Anyone have pics of a 3500 or 2500 done up already? Don't worry, I'll be searching the site right after posting this.

Thanks

David

Last edited by a moderator:

commdir911

Dec 30, 2010
USA MA
Yeah - the purpose would help. Emergency Management & Fire response.

I'm thinking slick-top to leave room for antennas on the roof.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Well, then, $15k, eh? Lets get to work, ELB! *cracks knuckles*

Front: FS ILS, dual viper dash light, 2 or 4 (if no dash light) TIR6's in the grill, wig-wags, SOS LAWs

Side, front to back: either Vertex or LINZ6 mounted on the side of the bumper, SOS intersecters, either LINZ6 below the rear door or a D2 behind the rear door glass, D4 behind the side glass on the cap

Rear: SOS LAWs in the brake and reverse lights, TIR3's on the license plate, LED traffic adviser behind the rear glass of the cap, and interior map lights inside the cap

Noise: CENCOM (since you want it), howler, and for kicks and giggles, an E-Q2B

May 22, 2010
Central WV
$15K for equipment...I think my heart just skipped a beat and fell in love all at once, haha. This should be fun.

David,

Is your 3500HD a new model or an older one? Could you post pics of your exact vehicle (if you have it already) so we know exactly what the vehicle looks like/has on it when trying to decide what to equip it with? Is this your personal vehicle or is this a gov/dept vehicle (more wanting to know if it will get lettered and if surface mount lights can be used on the body)?

Feel free to PM with your contact info and I can get a hold of you to discuss some ideas and get your input on somethings that you would like to have or not like to have on the truck.

commdir911

Dec 30, 2010
USA MA
aberfitchguy2472 said:
$15K for equipment...I think my heart just skipped a beat and fell in love all at once, haha. This should be fun.

David,

Is your 3500HD a new model or an older one? Could you post pics of your exact vehicle (if you have it already) so we know exactly what the vehicle looks like/has on it when trying to decide what to equip it with? Is this your personal vehicle or is this a gov/dept vehicle (more wanting to know if it will get lettered and if surface mount lights can be used on the body)?

Feel free to PM with your contact info and I can get a hold of you to discuss some ideas and get your input on somethings that you would like to have or not like to have on the truck.

It is brand new (being ordered). As part of the order (through state contract) I need to provide the list of lights and other equipment with it so they can be ordered at the same time. They'll be installed after the fact by a local company. It is my Departments vehicle - no lettering and yes surface mount lights are an option.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
commdir911 said:
It is brand new (being ordered). As part of the order (through state contract) I need to provide the list of lights and other equipment with it so they can be ordered at the same time. They'll be installed after the fact by a local company. It is my Departments vehicle - no lettering and yes surface mount lights are an option.

Can you post a link to the ARE cap you will be using on the truck? Will you need a equipment tray for the bed of the truck? Also, are you planning setting up the rear to have any command equipment/functions?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i don't think $15k is enough...i think u should write your congressman for a larger equipment budget :)

i like this setup a lot (esp. the use of vertexes up top) but would make some changes to it

i would like to see a freedom on this truck (i'm personally not a fan of slicktop on big trucks) but since u want slicktop, here are some ideas for your 15k equipment budget, although not all of it is necessary for an effective warning package (in other words, u are perfectly fine without some of these suggestions)

FRONT:

--linz6 inner edge (silverado model with some modifications)

--(2) M9 in front of the grill

--HLF

--SOS universal LAWs in the fogs

--M4 on the mirrors

--pair of ghosts clipped on the hood

SIDE:

--M4 on each side of front bumper area for intersection

--(2) ghosts per side on the running boards and 1 ghost behind b-post along the headliner

--M4 on each side of the bed

REAR:

--pair of linz6 on LP bracket

--pair of vertexes in 3rd brake light

--SOS universal undercovers in brake/tail lights

--Axixtech TIR commander dual color (warning and T/A function) on rear headliner

--2 axixtech chameleon 9 lightheads on the lightgate

cencom gold and howler w/ (2) whelen slimline speakers or fedsig as124 speakers

with that budget, u could even look into someone making a custom console for you with the radios the way you like. i think it's too much space if they're side by side if mounted normally but maybe u'll consider mounting the radio heads sideways (facing the driver side). can't wait to see the finished product

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Just because you have $15K, doesn't mean you have to use it all. Be fiscally responsible in these tight times. You can get a great package for less than that.

commdir911

Dec 30, 2010
USA MA
rwo978 said:
Just because you have $15K, doesn't mean you have to use it all. Be fiscally responsible in these tight times. You can get a great package for less than that.

I understand which is why I said $15k or less. I also believe being fiscally responsible is doing it right once, the first time.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
commdir911 said:
I understand which is why I said $15k or less. I also believe being fiscally responsible is doing it right once, the first time.

Agreed. Just throwing my 2 pennies out there. :)

commdir911

Dec 30, 2010
USA MA
Thanks for all the replies. I have a couple more questions: Crew cab on the 3500 is pretty similar if not the same as the 2500.

1. Does the middle seat in the crew cab come out? I'm thinking it's a good place to put a mini console or box to house electronics and things such as flashlight chargers etc.

2. To get a cleaner area for the front console is it better to get bucket seats (which adds an armrest storage area and cup holder console thing - to be removed) or go with the 40, 20, 40 split front and remove the 20 portion?

Thanks again.

Federal_Agent

Mar 1, 2011
USA Kentucky
I have a 2009 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, Standard box SRW 3500HD. If you have the arm rest/fold down jump seat in the middle with the storage box under the seat... The answer is yes, it does come out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.