Chicago FD Steady Burn Green on Mirror

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
I like it, even more so than I like the flashing light. I think that a steady burn on the mirrors represents the origins of the green light tradition more so than a flashing green light.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
its strange that there is only one bay door and 2 rigs have to get out never seen that before seem like it will be a pain in the a$$

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Yea, it looks like they just played around with the marker/clearance lights. Looks good though. On a second note, sucks seeing apparatus in quarters like that but I would never NEVER remodel or destroy old firehouses like that, if I were the driver/engineer I wouldn't complain. Oh, and that arrow stick pattern annoys the hell out of me.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Respondcode3 said:
Some fire companies have done that, replace the mirror markers with red and green lights. Its not a standard thing.

Actually my friend the new trucks are being delivered that way.

front(1).jpg

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Actually those are the first rigs that are.. Up til now the fire companies used to do it on their own. As far as the 2 rigs in a single station. The stations are pretty deep and can hold 2 rigs. It is a pain to have to get up and move the rig when the one in the back has a run.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Completely off topic, but I have always loved the Chicago FD trucks! Pure sexyness!!!

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Anyone else notice that both the engine and the ambo both didn't have all their lights on? The engine's rear rotators weren't on, nor was the ambo's rear amber module.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Doug said:
Anyone else notice that both the engine and the ambo both didn't have all their lights on? The engine's rear rotators weren't on, nor was the ambo's rear amber module.

The engines rear rotators were on, but the right side rotator is burnt out. If you look closely, you can see the driver side amber rotator flashing right as they make the turn onto the street, and then a few more times behind the American flag. As for the ambulance, no I didn't notice that. Had to go back and watch it again.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
It's like the navigation lights on a boat. Green on the right (starboard) and red on the left (port) sides. The firehouse bay door lights were the same way.

The station is a half block away from the Chicago Water Tower and was built in that style in 1902.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
The amber in the back and the white in the front are still Halogen everything else is LED. Why?? I dont know. That is common on CFD ambulances. The bulb burns out and isnt replaced until it goes to fleet. Here is a picture of the station.

LI-archi-WTD-002b.jpg

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I would love to be a Firefighter in a big city like that looks like fun.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Station 3 said:
I would love to be a Firefighter in a big city like that looks like fun.

After your first time humping a high-rise pack up 15+ stories you may change your tune... I know I would.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I liked the video, but it drives me nuts that the TD came on when the truck started. I hate it when FDs leave their TDs on all the time. We can already see it's a firetruck...it's big and red and shiny...you don't need to put on warning lights when you aren't going to a call. It's not bigger than a tractor trailers, but they don't run amber to the rear all the time.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
jph2 said:
It's like the navigation lights on a boat. Green on the right (starboard) and red on the left (port) sides. The firehouse bay door lights were the same way.

uhhhhh yeah. That's why thy did it that way.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
BigWil said:
I liked the video, but it drives me nuts that the TD came on when the truck started. I hate it when FDs leave their TDs on all the time. We can already see it's a firetruck...it's big and red and shiny...you don't need to put on warning lights when you aren't going to a call. It's not bigger than a tractor trailers, but they don't run amber to the rear all the time.

ENG 98 response district is the downtown Michigan ave/ highrise district. If you have any idea of what traffic is like and how people drive in Chicago. That is why.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Respondcode3 said:
Here is a picture of the station.

I like that old fire hall. It looks like it was made for one truck, but it's got enough room for a fire engine and an ambo.

Both the engine and the ambo have eQ2bs. Interesting.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
IMHO... I hate the sound of the eQ, it's just not the same, and when I hear Chicago it just makes me sick, lol.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Flashguy said:
I stayed in Chicago in a hotel on the 19th floor. All I heard all night was that e-Q siren! Anyways, I love when a department can modernize while still keeping tradition.

Not me. Tradition is for museums and parades.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
It's a very old tradition started by a Chief who was a Navy guy.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
In the 1920's the Commisioner Corrigan who was a Navy man and his family owned a shipping line. He adapted it on the fire trucks and fire houses and the traditon continues. Many suburban departments have adapted this too.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
OSP959® said:
But why? (I know, I sound like a pesty kid)

Seriously, did they just do it to do it, or is there an actual reason behind it?

Green Light:

"Fire Commissioner Goodrich's family also owned a steamship line. He was well aware of the required red and green lights on ships identifying their port & starboard sides, allowing for safe passing during inclement weather. The red and green lights were installed on fire apparatus and stations based upon this nautical theme."

Color of trucks:

"The City purchased 28 Model "A" Fords for their Battalion Chiefs. The roofs of the cars were a tar composition that could not be painted and were left black"

Source: Chicago Fire Department History Book http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/cfd/general/PDFs/HistoryOfTheChicagoFireDepartment_1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
unityrv26 said:
Wow, they are blowing some of those red lights like they're nothing at all!
Yeah, I thought that was pretty scary/unnecessary myself. I can't say that I stop for every red light, but I come close to it... And my city is a fraction of the size of Chicago. You just can't trust people to show respect for emergency vehicles with lights and sirens like that around here.

P1808

Jun 2, 2010
Florida
Ok we all know what’s going on here they are preparing to make all there rigs amphibious and equipping them with marker lights and soon they will have anchor lights on the tops.

But in all realness i like the idea of the marker lights especially if they have to back into the stations like that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.