Chicago police responding

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Strobes showing up on a video?! I approve. Looks like they oughta turn on the rest of the lights though. Can't say I like that siren.

This is what they call a squadrol, right?

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
philyumpshus said:
How'd they get the other Unitrol tones without going into sweep mode? I thought you could only get wail or yelp.

Ultra Hi-Low must be set as the "choice" tone.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
pdk9 said:
Besides the aforementioned stupidity of the driver (not tuning on all the lights) this vehicles truly LACKS side warning!

That is very common with LEO's in big cities. Here in Dallas, when we ran 6 rocker switch boxes, many DPD cops would just flip all the switches on. When it was Street Hawks, that would have the rotators, rear flashers, and take downs on. Switching to MX7000's added alley lights, and most would either forget to turn on the TA, or it would always be in warn. It was also very common to see a DPD car driving around with the TA left on, likewise frequent radio trafic on the B channel of 'arrowboard north on Greenville" or whichever direction/road the offending car was on. With the addition of Liberties and 3 position slider switches, many were running code 3 with the slider switch in position 1, which was the 2 front inboard lights, full rear lights, and siren. DPD did not teach officers how to use the new control boxes for almost a year, until the traffic unit kept complaining. So before you call a LEO stupid because they di not turn on the box lights, maybe you should take a moment to understand not every person who operates an EV is a light geek, nor do they know what all the switches do.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Touchmasters are programmable for whatever you want through wiring or dip switches. Yes that is a squadrol. I wish every department ran Touchmasters IMHO.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
HILO said:
That is very common with LEO's in big cities. Here in Dallas, when we ran 6 rocker switch boxes, many DPD cops would just flip all the switches on. When it was Street Hawks, that would have the rotators, rear flashers, and take downs on. Switching to MX7000's added alley lights, and most would either forget to turn on the TA, or it would always be in warn. It was also very common to see a DPD car driving around with the TA left on, likewise frequent radio trafic on the B channel of 'arrowboard north on Greenville" or whichever direction/road the offending car was on. With the addition of Liberties and 3 position slider switches, many were running code 3 with the slider switch in position 1, which was the 2 front inboard lights, full rear lights, and siren. DPD did not teach officers how to use the new control boxes for almost a year, until the traffic unit kept complaining. So before you call a LEO stupid because they di not turn on the box lights, maybe you should take a moment to understand not every person who operates an EV is a light geek, nor do they know what all the switches do.

I agree with this 100%. Do not bad talk an officer (or FF) due to lack of training. My agency has 5 vehicles, and approximately 60 volunteer members, and every single vehicle is different (although we attempt to keep them close to eachother). It is a constant battle to keep everyone properly trained on each vehicles emergency lighting. Now multiply the number of people by approximately 200, and that is the Chicago Police Department, try and keep those guys up to date on their extremely diverse fleet.

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
We have guys on my one fire dept that insist on flipping every switch when they leave for a call. Almost all of our big units, fire engines and med units, have a master switch. We have even labeled the ever living crap out of it, guess what, that doesn't help. That is the only switch required to be moved. All the time, truck goes blaring to a call with no lights. I see it happen all over the place around here, not just at my departments.

Now throw in the utility vehicles or chiefs trucks with them dumbfangled slidey switch a maroo, why move that when there are buttons to press. So now you have those vehicles driving around with sirens blaring and just takedowns and alleys.

Sometimes, you just can't teach it. The term "fireman proof" comes to mind, I don't think there is such a thing as "fireman proof. And, I am one. And, I have done plenty of stupid in my 15 year career, none of which I will list to give anyone here ammo.

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Since Paddy Wagons/Squadrols usually carry prisoners or bodies, they generally don't run hot. They are most likely trying to get to another officer's call for help.

Reactions: Ren12

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Fully populated bar?  I guess you get some warning off the rear flashing back against the front of the box.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
If it were a (whatever powering a) Unitrol 90 siren amplifier, then CHC is factory set for WAIL but can be 

changed to another sound. Meaning, they could turn on JUST that sound whenever the CHC button was pressed and not have to activate sweep mode. Available CHC sounds are: wail, yelp, hi-lo, hetro, hetro, airhorn, alarm, futura.

You can hear all the sounds (wail, yelp, airhorn are omitted from my sweep) in my world-famous video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqgBITv_DA

Reactions: uniden278
Nov 7, 2011
New England
Well put. 

Troop

Nov 14, 2013
East Coast
Very well put.

As a field training officer, one of the first things I do with a new recruit is go over how all the lights work in my car.  Since I'm a light geek, I like to utlize my lights differently depending on the situation.  While going over the lights, I was surprised at how many recruits have no clue what a traffic advisor means.  Once I explain it, they get it.  So if cops don't know what it means, one can only imagine how many civilians are clueless as to what a TA tries to get people to do...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.