Choosing controllers

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I have an old Federal Signal Jetstrobe light bar and need to connect up a controller box to it, but have not a clue what to get or look for. I'm guessing some main heavy power wires connect to the control box from the car battery and ground, then all the trigger wires are connected to the box as well?

Never had a light system like this before and any spin in the right direction would be great, because I'd like to install this high power light the right way and safely/reliable.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
You would need a circuit breaker or quality high amp fuse within 18 inches battery..

Power wire to switch box .

Ground for the box is normally just back lighting so.its small gauge and should be attached to frame as close as possible..

A fed sig sw300 or 400 (or that type) would work well for that bar...

Reactions: Pete L.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Yepp I've been studying like crazy and what you say is exactly correct. I already ordered a 100 amp breaker and I actually got an SW400SS control box off of eBay. My plan is to route and bench test the whole thing before permanent install. Thanks.

Reactions: Pete L.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Just found an SW300 on EBAY that is new, never installed or used for cheap. Gotta love EBAY, so I go that one too. I have now a sw400 and sw300 coming to me and I will see which one will be the best. I'm thinking the 6 button sw300 will be plenty fine. Front strobe, rear strobe, take downs, left/right alley and rear flasher. That is 6 functions. I'm wondering if I could combine left and right alley into one socket and free up another socket for something else.

I think the only function I will be missing on this jetstrobe will be the low intensity mode it does. I'm not worried about that.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
That's when you use the slider switch...

Flashers only,
Next step would add rear strobes
Next step would add front strobes..

Then use individual switches for TD. La. Ra. And low power..

100amp is over kill unless your adding more later.. you only want your protection to cover +25% of the load normally on it.. unless your adding more stuff later...

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Thanks, that is the best combination to do. I wrote it down so I don't forget. I think I'm missing the wire to engage low power and alternate flash pattern. I'll have to follow the diagram and possibly add those wires. The harness on it now is not the original and I think they didn't bother wiring the other two functions. I like things to be perfect and running to it's potential, so, I will be working to get that going also.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.