CHP Driving Wrong Way Down Freeway!

crazytaxi1000

Sep 2, 2014
California
What's a traffic break? I'm not familiar with that.

when there's a large accident on the freeway, about a mile before the accident, CHP sends out guys and they weave back and forth on the freeway in order to slow down traffic. They weave until the traffic is slowed to a crawl and they do this process whenever the traffic starts moving fast again until the accident is cleared up. Here's a video of a traffic break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjYQTkrdl8

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I've used this maneuver before, but only on much smaller divided highways where fortunately it only takes one or two "swerves" to get everyone's attention, and then you can just ride the center to keep them under control.  I can't imagine having to do it with 4-5+ lanes...  I think all that back and forth like in the second video would make me nauseous.

That being said, looking closely at the original video, the rear-end of the greenish/gray car behind the white one has a weird reflection coming off its rear end, almost as if it got crunched a bit in a rear-end collision.  After watching the video a couple times, I'm not as convinced, but I wonder if it might be a more likely explanation that the cars had been involved in a secondary rear-end collision of some sort, and the patrolman was pulling them out of traffic for the report and exchange of information to avoid anyone trying to disappear into the traffic?  Just a theory based on a weird reflection that might be nothing, but it almost makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JFLEX99 and Tony P

crazytaxi1000

Sep 2, 2014
California
I've used this maneuver before, but only on much smaller divided highways where fortunately it only takes one or two "swerves" to get everyone's attention, and then you can just ride the center to keep them under control.  I can't imagine having to do it with 4-5+ lanes...  I think all that back and forth like in the second video would make me nauseous.

That being said, looking closely at the original video, the rear-end of the greenish/gray car behind the white one has a weird reflection coming off its rear end, almost as if it got crunched a bit in a rear-end collision.  After watching the video a couple times, I'm not as convinced, but I wonder if it might be a more likely explanation that the cars had been involved in a secondary rear-end collision of some sort, and the patrolman was pulling them out of traffic for the report and exchange of information to avoid anyone trying to disappear into the traffic?  Just a theory based on a weird reflection that might be nothing, but it almost makes sense.

I've witnessed many times on five lane highways where cars get confused and try to speed past the swerving cop. The cop accelerates and almost hits the cars speeding past usually haha. And yea, idk why there would be so many cars involved and none would pull to the side of the road if it was from an accident. Strange. 

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'll have to tell my sales guys to go to California with JDI's Extend-a-Boom®, bumper-mounted traffic control device.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Traffic control is like herding cattle. But in this case the cattle are idiots on cellphones drinking mocha frape lattes taking selfies. I have shut down entire freeways and highways due to one idiot not listening to my orders to slow down on the slow lane. I usually get upset that they cannot follow simple instructions and shut it down for 20-40 min. Deal with it take a selfie twitter,instagram or Facebook about it in your car while you vape and sip on your venti cup.

Reactions: NoVAFed and PJD642

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Swerving back and fourth like that to slow traffic down actually has a name, it's called performing a "Round-Robin".

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's a great idea, but I think they need 2 units to do it on the freeway, b/c covering 5 or 6 lanes with only 1 vehicle leaves more room for knuckleheads to try to get around him when he turns to go the other way. Ppl are always in a rush to get around the flashing lights b/c they think they're so much more important than emergency vehicles, and god forbid one of the units gets into an accident, the flood gates will open and then the 500 other douchebags behind him will take off

Does CHP have micro pioneers in the fog area? Their fog lights are definitely brighter than a standard LAW. I also love the pattern on the front of the bar in the original video; it's simple but effective

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
The way to properly shut down the expressway down here in South Texas is to park your patrol car side ways on the expressway blocking all lanes then get out of your car with your AR-15 and make sure your wearing your ski mask or baklava. People will usually assume your a Mexican cartel member psudo cop and will respect you more and not move.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
The way to properly shut down the expressway down here in South Texas is to park your patrol car side ways on the expressway blocking all lanes then get out of your car with your AR-15 and make sure your wearing your ski mask or baklava. People will usually assume your a Mexican cartel member psudo cop and will respect you more and not move.

crazytaxi1000

Sep 2, 2014
California
It's a great idea, but I think they need 2 units to do it on the freeway, b/c covering 5 or 6 lanes with only 1 vehicle leaves more room for knuckleheads to try to get around him when he turns to go the other way. Ppl are always in a rush to get around the flashing lights b/c they think they're so much more important than emergency vehicles, and god forbid one of the units gets into an accident, the flood gates will open and then the 500 other douchebags behind him will take off

Does CHP have micro pioneers in the fog area? Their fog lights are definitely brighter than a standard LAW. I also love the pattern on the front of the bar in the original video; it's simple but effective

All I know CHP has for lights is a Whelen Liberty and lights mounted on the pushbar on the front. Their lighting is controlled by a Whelen Cantrol, and those are fog lights just upgraded to LED's. That's my assumption but I could be wrong.

crazytaxi1000

Sep 2, 2014
California

wish they'd do that here in cali but then people would freak out because its police brutality LOL

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2015
Georgia
In my state and profession we call that a pace down. Similar to what they do in NASCAR. Our vehicles are equipped with a whelen dual tone siren and a 3rd speaker mounted to the rear so the traffic behind us can hear the siren and the pa. Here are a few videos.

Last edited:

crazytaxi1000

Sep 2, 2014
California
In my state and profession we call that a pace down. Similar to what they do in NASCAR. Our vehicles are equipped with a whelen dual tone siren and a 3rd speaker mounted to the rear so the traffic behind us can hear the siren and the pa. Here are a few videos.

That's very interesting! Seems a lot safer than what CHP does in their traffic breaks. What state is that?

Reactions: ff168577

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
profile says GA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.