CHP light study

Citabria7GCBC

May 21, 2010
Houston Texas
I have heard many times that CHP has been mentioned for having produced a study regarding emergency lights.

Where would I find that information? I would like to read about it.

Thanks

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I haven't seen a CHP study. The Florida experiments can be easily found on-line. The paper that Whelen did in conjunction with Mass State Police is out there as well.

Regarding the Whelen paper, it limited itself to a fairly narrow set of circumstances: at night and on the shoulder. They liked alternating instead of simultaneous flash for a stopped vehicle. This doesn't mirror my experience as I've found the whole vehicle turning on and off together to appear to be a larger object and more visible from the distance. (Think of why the big "E" at the top of the eye chart is so visible). Since it was at night, there was no benefit to flashing red lights.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I haven't seen a CHP study. The Florida experiments can be easily found on-line. The paper that Whelen did in conjunction with Mass State Police is out there as well.

Regarding the Whelen paper, it limited itself to a fairly narrow set of circumstances: at night and on the shoulder. They liked alternating instead of simultaneous flash for a stopped vehicle. This doesn't mirror my experience as I've found the whole vehicle turning on and off together to appear to be a larger object and more visible from the distance. (Think of why the big "E" at the top of the eye chart is so visible). Since it was at night, there was no benefit to flashing red lights.
Interesting.
Hazard lights, red simultaneously flashing, the world-wide symbol of hazard, or, "I'm stopped," is exactly the opposite ... doesn't sell many auxiliary lights, though.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I believe what you are thinking of is the CHP Twinsonic Light Study from 1983. There was a guy pedaling copies on ebay for $15 or so a while back. I have tried to get a scan of it from a few libraries in CA but none responded to my requests.

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.