CHP Lightbar/Patterns

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Does anyone know anything about the new LED bars that CHP is using? The lightbar and push bar lights go to steady burn when the car is placed in park. I personally like this feature but wonder if anyone knows how they are acheiving it? An example is at 3:22 SoCalPolicePursuits's Channel - YouTube .

I have wondered how to go about this on our Legend bars, but know it would have to be done outside the bar. I thought about setting pattern 1 as the full bar steady burn (test pattern), and activating warn mode on the SS2000 signalmaster controller. Just don't think the SS2000 will do such with a park kill input.

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
acs680 said:
Does anyone know anything about the new LED bars that CHP is using? The lightbar and push bar lights go to steady burn when the car is placed in park. I personally like this feature but wonder if anyone knows how they are acheiving it? An example is at 3:22 SoCalPolicePursuits's Channel - YouTube .

I have wondered how to go about this on our Legend bars, but know it would have to be done outside the bar. I thought about setting pattern 1 as the full bar steady burn (test pattern), and activating warn mode on the SS2000 signalmaster controller. Just don't think the SS2000 will do such with a park kill input.

Hahahaha I love the angled pushbar reds they put on when they are in wigwag mode in the dark... Awesome.

Does the SS2000 not have a "Pursuit" input, or other inputs that can activate certain modes? All you need is a relay between the PARK signal of the vehicle and said input to make the thing do whatever you want. Not difficult to do.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
the steady burning bar looks amazing!! i think the grill lights should still flash though...

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
Storm4200 said:
the steady burning bar looks amazing!! i think the grill lights should still flash though...

CHP has never been big on flashing lights when the vehicle isn't moving. Very seldom would you ever see one stopped on the road with the lights on, let alone flashing (full code 3 mode on the old Vision bars).

It's no uncommon for CHP to request allied agencies/tows/etc to shut off their lightbars when they arrive. CHP firmly believes that any extra lights on the roadway are magnets for drunks and accidents.

The only exception I've seen is when they are actively blocking traffic, or when fire is onscene, or when there is an unusual or extreme hazard in/on the roadway.

Seems CHP's SOP is light 'em up, pull 'em over, and shut off the lights (with the exception of takedowns/spotlights).

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
The SS2000 is very limited on the what the park kill input does. It kills the siren and no more. However, the SS3000, will allow you activate/deactivate any function on on the system via 4 input wires.

I could probably do this with the intersection wire on the Legend, as we do not use it and its essentially a fourth pattern wire. That however, does not allow me to kill wig wags or front white strobes...

Our guys ALWAYS use mode 3, and never use low power, rear only, etc. Even at night on rural roads they are in mode 3 with wig wags, flashing takedowns/alleys, and a faster pattern. I really do not understand how they do not figure out how blinding this is to them, other officers, and passing motorist. I have on many times, came up on one of our cars at night while off duty, and had to hope and pray that no one was standing in the road while I passed the car...

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
d119 said:
Seems CHP's SOP is light 'em up, pull 'em over, and shut off the lights (with the exception of takedowns/spotlights).

Although VSP doesn't go completely dark on a traffic stop, this line of thinking is why the garage manager not to get fully-populated Liberties when they went LED a few years back. 4 corners plus 2 rear facing and 2 forward facing LED's, and they're good to go all day (and night) long.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I read the threads before watching the video and thought to myself " that is dumb". After watching the video though I think it looks pretty cool.

One way you could try accomplishing the steady burn in park is to operate the mode 3 wire on the legend and the lightbar test wire on a relay hooked up to the park kill. You would hook it up so that while the vehicle is in drive the mode 3 wire would have power applied to it, but when you put it in park the relay closes putting power on the light bar test wire lighting up the whole bar.

Just a thought. Might have to try it now.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Yeah, I've thought about that but with using the intersection mode wire with the steady pattern. Only problem is, there would be no flashing in the rear.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Anyone else note that even when they were rolling the patterns were slow and steady? I think CHP has done a good job with how they are doing LED warning.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Hoff said:
Anyone else note that even when they were rolling the patterns were slow and steady? I think CHP has done a good job with how they are doing LED warning.
+1. I'd prefer SignalAlert to the simple single flash, but the single alternating flash is a lot better than the flickering glow that a lot of lightbars are set up to do.

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
LED Lightbar

Complete demo of the Whelen CHP Lightbar system

Push bumper lights are single Raiders at 45 degree angles (passenger side aimed at driver intersection, driver side aimed at passenger intersection). Mirror Beams are red.

Similar configuration on the slicktop CHP Charger, same Mirror Beams and push bumper Raiders in addition to a dual Raider with a flash shield above the RVM. Driver head steady red, passenger head Single Flash 90 sync'd with the MirrorBeams and push bumper Raiders.

I love how less is more - from a distance these are going to be much more attention getting than the Euro Rave SingleFlash300 random Purple Lightbar configuration most agencies are going with these days... Don't get me started on non-sync'd LEDX 2100 bars...

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
LED Lightbar

Push bumper lights are single Raiders at 45 degree angles (passenger side aimed at driver intersection, driver side aimed at passenger intersection). Mirror Beams are red.

Similar configuration on the slicktop CHP Charger, same Mirror Beams and push bumper Raiders in addition to a dual Raider with a flash shield above the RVM. Driver head steady red, passenger head Single Flash 90 sync'd with the MirrorBeams and push bumper Raiders.

I love how less is more - from a distance these are going to be much more attention getting than the Euro Rave SingleFlash300 random Purple Lightbar configuration most agencies are going with these days... Don't get me started on non-sync'd LEDX 2100 bars...

Great video, thanks!

I too like the single alternating patterns. They are so much more effective.

charliefox

May 28, 2010
Burlington WA
STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
LED Lightbar

Great demo, thanks! I'm not sure why they use the steady burn blue with the Arrowstick...identification?

I've always believed that less is more when it comes to lighting. CHP certainly has a lot of experience with hign traffic volumes and thier research seems to prove out thier theories.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
When in park, the rear driver side corner module is steady blue and the amber direction is a "chaser" pattern, which I have mixed feelings about. The blue to the rear is almost blinding at night, but I'm sure they have reason for it. There is also very little blue to the front when parked if any. Regardless, CHP love their steady burn and slow moving flash patterns.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
STT Installer said:
LED Lightbar

I was looking for that exact video last night after reading this thread. It was made by a CHP officer and posted on CHPForums about 2-3 years ago when they got their first bars. He did excellent work. I just could not find it by searching their forums.

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
There was a thread on the old board when these first came out... Along with a link to the RFP that basically limited it to this custom Whelen bar...

The far outboard modules to the rear I believe are LINZ6s, forward are LR11s and center position is the high intensity 500 series LED takedown. The rest of the modules I believe were LIN6s? I'll have to dig around to find the exact bid description again.

I do like the steady blue to the rear, it really seems to set up a good horizontal reference for approaching motorists from the rear.

I too am not a huge fan of the Chaser T/A pattern... But it seems to work.

The sync'd bar flashing left to right in Code 3 mode along with the MirrorBeams and push bumper Radiers seems to probably throw a good alternating pattern from a long distance.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
acs680 said:
Yeah, I've thought about that but with using the intersection mode wire with the steady pattern. Only problem is, there would be no flashing in the rear.

If you are running it off a smart siren you could program the signal master to flash to the rear, as it will over ride whatever pattern you have going.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
STT Installer said:
I think only the Chargers have the crossing Raiders on the bumper. CVPIs face the side they are on.

FWIW, I don't think any of the lights are actually called Raiders, though they do appear to essentially be that - with very few (1?) selectable flash pattern(s).

I also find it interesting that the bar appears to be on Durangos, Tahoes, Chargers, CVPIs, and Ford pickups, though the RFP I saw only talked about mounting requirements on the CVPI. Does anyone know if it uses standard Liberty mounting feet, or are they custom?

I do like their setups except the chasing TA. I would opt for the old style - I think it is easier to figure out what direction it's running, further from the vehicle.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I've done upfits with park kills on both sirens and lights but require deft know how in wiring one since every vehicle's different. In the pipeline is a dual module for both siren & lights.

Down the road, there will be an additional feature which allows the operator to change the light bar pattern for 8 seconds after pressing the horn ring. I manufactured a batch of modules for a department that wanted the "chaos" pattern when going through intersections. Feedback from the officers were very positive so we're going to offer this to all of our customers.

If you wish to be informed about pricing, availability, release, etc. Please drop me a line at sean@evmodules.com and I will keep you posted.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
EVModules said:
I've done upfits with park kills on both sirens and lights but require deft know how in wiring one since every vehicle's different. In the pipeline is a dual module for both siren & lights.

Down the road, there will be an additional feature which allows the operator to change the light bar pattern for 8 seconds after pressing the horn ring. I manufactured a batch of modules for a department that wanted the "chaos" pattern when going through intersections. Feedback from the officers were very positive so we're going to offer this to all of our customers.

If you wish to be informed about pricing, availability, release, etc. Please drop me a line at sean@evmodules.com and I will keep you posted.

Federal offers this on the newer model lightbars, the bar can be set to do a different pattern for 8 seconds, or until the horn ring is pressed a second time.

I have talked to Federal about creating a custom pattern, much like the one used by CHP, so that we could easily change the bar to this mode when the vehicle is parked. Will advise if and when we make this work.

On another note, does anyone know if the park kill wire on a Crown Vic is included in the trunk wiring harness on the 65A prep package? On cars without the package, what is the best place to tap into the park wire?

Last edited by a moderator:

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Hey all,

Here is the follow up on this project... I have done some testing this week on the ability to change the flash pattern when the car was placed in park and here is what I have came up with so far. I tried the 4 Mode (intersection) wire on the interface module but forgot that low power could not be enabled on this mode, so I made the decision to revert to Mode 1 when the car is in park. Here is how I tested, and how I plan on wiring a few cars in the coming weeks to try it out.

The lightbar modes 1, 2, 3 are wired to Smartsiren outputs 1, 2, 3. The lightbar is also set to enable the rear on mode 1, the front on mode 2, and flash TD/Alleys on mode 3. I will be using 2 relays on modes 2 and 3 in a normally closed configuration. I will be wiring the relays to open up modes 2 and 3, thus reverting the lightbar back to mode 1. I will also tie the headlight flasher to the mode 3 relay to turn off as well. The front enable wire will not be ran through the relay, and will stay on output 2 of the Smartsiren causing the front of the bar to stay on when the slide switch is on 2 or 3 and the car is in park.

Short and sweet? If the Smartsiren is in mode 2 or 3 and the car is placed in park, the lightbar will change to a slow alternating pattern, and the TD/Alley flasher and headlight flasher will shut off.

Uman18

Jun 2, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
They have an "all steady burn mode" on the Liberty bars also where, the side mirrors, bumper and the WHOLE front lightbar are steady burn, yes- including all the blue on the lightbar.

Also dislike the chaser TA, steady burn blue is neat and eye catching but blinding at night.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Both Massachusettes State Police and Rhode Island state police have adopted a similar version of this as well, driven by Whelen Cantrol Systems. One main difference with these vehicles is that the steady feature is in low power and will incorporate a "flicker" every few seconds. This will only work at night while the vehicle is in park. Put these cars in park during the day and you get a slow in/out pattern. In park at night and you get the "steady flash" pattern. Many other things happens as well, such as the take downs turning on automatically if the warning lights are on and the car is put into park at night. Or, if the systems senses you are driving with rear lights only active and siren active, it will automatically activate front warning lights. At the same time an audible tone will be heard through the control head to let the driver know something is not right. Of course, we got your back... but check your switching. Also the drivers side lightbar warning lights and alleys will turn off while the driver door is opened to keep from blinding the officer while entering or exiting the vehicle. This all was configured following months and months of testing by the Mass State Police to decrease the number of rear end collisions on the highways and reduce other risks. I think they nailed it.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Outsider said:
Both Massachusettes State Police and Rhode Island state police have adopted a similar version of this as well, driven by Whelen Cantrol Systems. One main difference with these vehicles is that the steady feature is in low power and will incorporate a "flicker" every few seconds. This will only work at night while the vehicle is in park. Put these cars in park during the day and you get a slow in/out pattern. In park at night and you get the "steady flash" pattern. Many other things happens as well, such as the take downs turning on automatically if the warning lights are on and the car is put into park at night. Or, if the systems senses you are driving with rear lights only active and siren active, it will automatically activate front warning lights. At the same time an audible tone will be heard through the control head to let the driver know something is not right. Of course, we got your back... but check your switching. Also the drivers side lightbar warning lights and alleys will turn off while the driver door is opened to keep from blinding the officer while entering or exiting the vehicle. This all was configured following months and months of testing by the Mass State Police to decrease the number of rear end collisions on the highways and reduce other risks. I think they nailed it.

This article by Whelen talks about some of that testing. http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/media/news/PFMFeature.pdf

With the Federal bars being so limited, I can only force the lightbar to a slower flash pattern when in park. If I could force it to low power at night, I definitely would. Seems like someone (Sean) =), would manufacture a standalone photocell/relay module that would install on the trunk lid, or roof... I don't think we will ever see photocells in Federal bars.

Since I will be setting our cars up to go to mode 1 on the Legend when in park, what are your opinions on putting a relay on the parking lights to put the bar into low power ONLY when the car is in park and the parking lights are on? My only worry is if the officer has the headlights on in the rain or fog...

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
On 2nd thought, I am not even going to entertain the parking light option. Just not reliable since headlights are used in the rain. I have however came across numerous 12 volt photocell/dusk dawn controllers. Might be something to play with...

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
acs680 said:
what are your opinions on putting a relay on the parking lights to put the bar into low power ONLY when the car is in park and the parking lights are on?

My concern would be the loss of any compliance with SAE while in low power mode. I realize sometimes a lightbar (the Legend in particular) can be too bright, but I would rather reduce the number of light-heads being used (such as only the 4-corners) or using other lights such as dash/deck before I resort to low power.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.