CHP lighting

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Last edited by a moderator:
whelen raiders (spelling)?? its unusual to see a white commercial car with black mirror housings and the lights on the bumber not painted white.

Looks like whelen LIN6s in a raider housing.

Btw, what's with the white cars? Do they serve a special purpose as opposed to the black and whites?

Storm4200 said:
Looks like whelen LIN6s in a raider housing.

Btw, what's with the white cars? Do they serve a special purpose as opposed to the black and whites?

IIRC the all white cars were for commercial enforcement.

Look at the parts detail list at the end:

http://www.whelen.com/install/140/14073.pdf

"0 1 - 0 6 8 4 6 4 9 1 *W SINGLE LINEAR-LED® LT EXT MT CHP, WHITE"

Looks like a special production version for CHP available in dash mount (red?), nonspecific blue (dash?), exterior mount (red?) and exterior mount white housing (red) with California Title 13 flash patterns. They also used the Dual Raider for the RVM light with an added "scoop" between the bottom of the assembly and the windshield to minimize flash back.

STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:

Looks like a special production version for CHP available in dash mount (red?), nonspecific blue (dash?), exterior mount (red?) and exterior mount white housing (red) with California Title 13 flash patterns. They also used the Dual Raider for the RVM light with an added "scoop" between the bottom of the assembly and the windshield to minimize flash back.

You can see the flat shield on this Charger used with the Dual Raider - does not extend up the sides to affect off axis warning.

Recent image by raidrsj on Photobucket

The white units are for commercial enforcement.

They also use them when they do speed enfocement in some divisions. I have seen 10-15 b/w and w units on an on ramp out of sight. The have a plane in the air over a section of freeway and the plane will call out the speeders and when the hit the overpass, a unit will take off, next speeder comes by, next unit. Its fun to see 10 units on stops all on a mile stretch of road.

The whites units are so they can blend in.

Mirrors, trim on the tail lights, bumbers, push bumbers, spotlights, grill, all white. They also do NOT have "HIGHWAY PATROL" on the trunk. Only the star and highway patrol on the door.

EL1998P71 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I also find it weird how some have chrome spotlights that look like the metal ones.

The reason why they use chrome is also to make the car as stealth as possible with PAR36 smaller beams. I wish they painted the spotlights white like they used to do back in the day on their mustang SMPVs

I have talked to many people on Reed Ave. (Fleet Operations), that work in the prototype department, they try to make every thing as stealth as possible.

The thing I find weird is on most (new) slick tops units today they can tint rear windows (but) the rear deck lights cannot be behind tinted windows if a patrol car is marked with the star, so they cut it out the tint for the lights.

They will not go for it, mostly becaude they no longer use the red spot light any more. With all the new lighting they have now, they done away with the red spot for slicktops.

Some of the new cars have them, some dont.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have pictures of a white CV and pictures of the lights on the cars. The SMPV trucker program is no more. The white cars are part of a new program, but I forgot what they told me. More for just blending in and catching people.

All the lighting (2009-up) is whelen 500 series (except lightbar of course). Mirror lights, pushbar lights, windshield lights, trunk lights, and the deck lights are probably made up of 500 series modules(although, some cars have the older LED decklights), all have 6 LED squares.

I'll start with these. Have to upload the rest.

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_P1010351.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_P1010352.jpg

does anyone know how they attach a dual raider ? doesnt look like a bail bracket with suction cups (o; I also wonder what they are using for a flashback shield ?

STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:

Buckypmp said:
does anyone know how they attach a dual raider ? doesnt look like a bail bracket with suction cups (o; I also wonder what they are using for a flashback shield ?

It is a custom CHP made bracket. The flashback shield is just a simple piece of flat metal. I have an '03 Cuda mirror light setup with the bracket, I'll upload my pics

The flashback shield is to prevent the light from being reflected down by the windshield

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_IMG_20130316_183730_334_zpse37b0bdb.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_IMG_20130316_183733_626_zps819b1e82.jpg

Mounts to the roof skin bracing right above the windshield, hidden by the headliner. The light head mounts to the two "prongs"

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_IMG_20130316_183745_918_zps5a5e4c35.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_IMG_20130316_183752_021_zpsa7d22d7d.jpg

Great thread. A little off topic, but the CHP Star and markings never get old as far as I am concerned, where as you see the boring bland Denver PD shield and graphics that have been that way since the early 80s. Uggh. Almost as bad as having the big blue letters "BOSTON POLICE" that Boston used to use.

STT Installer said:
Anyone else see the Whelen Par46 White/Steady Red spotlight head targeted at CHP?

PAR46 12 VDC, Replacement, California Steady Red and 8° Spot Light, for Unity Spot Light Mounting Only. One Wire Control of Steady Red and Spot Light

Whelen Engineering - Lightheads - Lightheads, Directional Strobe, Super-LED®, LED, Halogen & Combination

Off topic, but I saw an MSP Charger with one of those spotlights on it recently. It was set up to flash, alternating the white and red. Looked pretty good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmoyer1