CHP Red Spotlight

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
We found 11 of the old CHP red spotlight lamps (4000-R). These are the ones used before the 80s. They had a special connection used on them. Because of this we wanted some input on the best way to sell them.

On the back of the light there are 3 terminals: ground, high beam, low beam. We had a special plug that the lights went into that had both high and low beam on at same time and the ground was riveted to the shell of the light.

I am waiting on info back if we still have the plug, but if we do is it important to leave it as rivet for the ground (would have to be riveted to the shell by the buyer) or would our current ground wire that is secured to the headpost with the nut that holds the shell a better option to remove the issue of having to get the ground riveted. So balance between easy or authentic on a internal aspect.

aunityusa.3dcartstores.com_assets_images_4000_R.jpg

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Yes. The original used were a red high/low beam lamp. Using the lamp with the high beam and low beam on at the same time gave the desired beam.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Any decision on these?

I would buy two, at least. Unique collectible, I think. And I would be a good custodian for those CHP Mustang owners who may need one in the future ... before the warehouse swallows them up again.

Reactions: UnityUSA

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
And it is a standard headlight plug. I know 4001R will fit in a new housing ... 4000R just the same. Small bolt with nut will actually fit in the hole on the tang and can be wired with fork crimp, for those who don't have enough room for the plug assembly.

Unity may still have a picture I sent them of my plastic chrome spotlight v. shotgun blast, one of my favorite pieces.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
And it is a standard headlight plug. I know 4001R will fit in a new housing ... 4000R just the same. Small bolt with nut will actually fit in the hole on the tang and can be wired with fork crimp, for those who don't have enough room for the plug assembly.

Unity may still have a picture I sent them of my plastic chrome spotlight v. shotgun blast, one of my favorite pieces.
So if I'm putting one in a random shell, ground goes to shell and positive gets run to both other prongs?

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
If the shell is a metal shell the ground would go to the shell. On plastic shells the ground is a wire that loops around the head-post under the nut that secures the shell. The plug that was used had both positives hot at same time.

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
We no longer carry the plug or the lamp. Both items have been discontinued.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.