CHP slicktop rear lights?

ask80

Jan 21, 2013
OC,CA
I've tried searching on this forum with no luck. I know CHP uses Whelen lights, like the Raider for the dash light for their slicktops. How about the rear traffic advisor? I can't find anything on the Whelen website related to 7 head traffic advisor. I only see 6 or 8 head. Is this a custom made Whelen product for CHP? thanks ac2.staticflickr.com_2_1310_5163875648_aa20830dcb_z.jpg

rad123

Aug 5, 2011
Dixon, CA
Most of the lights CHP have are made specially for them.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It is a 500 series stick. If you're willing to place a large enough order, some of the lighting manufacturers like whelen will make custom versions/configs of their products (ie FDNY Fedsig halogen/LED lightbars, FDNY Fedsig sirens, CHP whelen blinkies, FHP C3 Javelins, etc)

Jul 14, 2014
NV
+1 on pdk9. CHP has several items custom made by Whelen, the new CHP light bar is another custom made item.

Reactions: tsquale
CHP vehicle products are almost always "CUSTOM" built specifically for them.    In fact, many "new" manufacturer products come out because CHP requested that they be made.  One example.  The Harley Davidson FXRP motorcycle in the 80's.   CHP wanted a bike from Harley to compete with their existing Kawasaki's.    FXRP was then created specifically for CHP, but Harley then offered across the world as a police model.  Stalker Radar made a handheld, dash mounted, moving and stationary Radar called Stalker II which could be put into a holster on CHP bikes,  it was then offered for sale across the world as a new Stalker Radar model.   CHP ordered over 600 of them at that time, more since.  Radio manufacturers did the same thing along with several other manufacturers wanting CHP business due to the sheer volume of vehicles they purchase.   CHP is the largest Highway Patrol agency in the United States.   THEY HAVE SOME CLOUT when it comes to product development!  CHP has a very innovative and strong research and development section that does months and months of research (probably years) into developing every aspect of a vehicle before they put that vehicle into service.   They did that with the new Interceptor Utility which is their standard issue vehicle currently.   They take that base vehicle and put every piece of equipment (working with manufacturers on just about every piece of equipment that goes into it) and they set up the vehicle exactly how they want it.   They even "demo" those test vehicles in the field all over California for a while and get feedback from their highway patrol officers on what works, what they want changed, added, etc.   They then go back, make a final version and then make about 1000 of the same vehicle.   CHP's vehicles are all the same pretty much.   If you go to San Diego, you're vehicle will look like the same vehicle up in San Francisco, or in the Valley, or the Mountain Division.   

It's not all that custom. CHP uses only one light head on the push bumper, exterior mirrors slick top interior lights mounted over rear view mirror, and their rear arrow stick they are all Linz 6s  LIN-6 the Linz 6s LIN-6 are also used in the light bar.  

Now for the reason. It is way easer, cost effective, and reduces down time if the CHP motor pool only has to stock a single light head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doug

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Holy typo Batman. Thank you so much for pointing out my mistake. I'll edit my post right away. Oh wait that's right I simply don't care.

That was sarcasm as I hope your comment was.

I bid you good day sir
Actually, there is a big difference in what those two things are.  Your post should be has been edited.  (also some gentle sarcasm/poke)  :)

0010.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I'm not trying to be a jerk.  These are two very different products, and your information is flat out wrong because of the error.  Written text can be hard to read intent and tone from.  This is an information site, the info should be correct for search purposes.  The rest of your info was correct and helpful, again not trying to be rude, just correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected.

John I appreciate that you took the time to explain the difference. I actually was unaware that the LIN-6 & LINZ-6 are two separate light heads. You learn something new every day.

With the obvious exception of the light head I initially listed the rest of the information is correct.

As to my comment to got_yogurt I apologize if you took my response as anything more than sarcastic banter. I thought you were just messing with me for getting the abbreviation of linear incorrect.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I stand corrected.

John I appreciate that you took the time to explain the difference. I actually was unaware that the LIN-6 & LINZ-6 are two separate light heads. You learn something new every day.

With the obvious exception of the light head I initially listed the rest of the information is correct.

As to my comment to got_yogurt I apologize if you took my response as anything more than sarcastic banter. I thought you were just messing with me for getting the abbreviation of linear incorrect.
One letter can mean a big difference in Whelen lights lol.  The rest of your post was spot on, and great info.  I try to learn something new here everyday too, sometimes I'm surprised what I was wrong about (usually not Whelen stuff lol).

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Also they may use simple light heads but they also have them set up in a very simple and effective way.  It would also be hard to accomplish with just out of the box CenCom or Smart Siren. 

All lights are synced to the front and to the rear.  With several set patterns depending on how the vehicle is, moving or parked. 

When parked, if any lights are on to the front, they ALL go to steady burn.  When the traffic advisor is activated, the blue stays steady, no matter left or right arrow.  It is the same set up no matter if there is a bar or if it is slick top. 

It is automatic, they officer does not change anything.  I wish there was a way to just buy a unit from them.  I would love to have one to use.

Reactions: Hollywood

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.