Cities not paying... what do you do?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I have a local city that is always a pain to get payment from. They pretty much ignore all communication and take months to pay. What do you do? 

Kind of funny how they are always the city that "needs it ASAP" 

I've thought about serving them up in small claims court but we are currently building about 9 police cars for them. I don't want to put that in jeopardy because of the fire department. Once that is done and billed out, I might.  

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
put in a call to the accounts payable department and find out how long it takes. the county I used to work for was 60 days, there was no speeding it up, the last airforce job I did was 90 days right on the day. there isnt much you can do, unless you can convince them your a small operation and they would be kind enough to speed it up for you, gennerally with public agencies the billing just has to go through so many hands it just takes a long time

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I second what Shawn just said.

Speaking for the county where I work, the accounts payable office moves according to their own pace. We have had issues with vendors not enjoying the 60 day payment cycle but even after explaining the situation to the accounts manager here they still refuse to make change.  Too many people in the approval chain wanting to have input...

Best of luck Nic.

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
From time to time I do tree jobs for the city I live in, it takes exactly 45 days (including weekends, oddly enough) for them to mail me a check. Sure, it takes a while, but they've never stiffed me. Hope it works out for you Nic.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
I find the few times this has happened to us, the cities have made a mistake in their accounting and will rectify it. This usually happens when someone forgets to enter an invoice in their system. Otherwise I would treat them just like a civilian customer that didn't pay.

First:

Advise them of the issue. We just talk to the city and we are pretty upfront about the problem. Make sure they have the invoice, and directly ask them when the payment will be cut. We don't mind giving the city accounts more time to pay, but they better hold true to their word. We have found that every department we have had to do this to has been overly apologetic and get a check cut right away. 

If they tell you that payments are made at a certain time, hold them to it. If they miss it, I have no issue letting them know that i would be holding back on more work until the last bit is paid in full and/or adding interest to thief bill. They usually find a way to cut a check pretty quick.

If they threaten to pull the work, that is fine. non paying work is no good anyway. They know they are in the wrong and they know they are required to pay. City attorneys, council, and the powers that be all believe this, and will all be pushing to get you paid just to avoid lawsuits, if you let them know the situation.

Next time you contract, make sure everyone understands the Term. If they need 60 days, give them that, but plan and budget accordingly. When a department does this, we may opt to give them a 5% net 30 discount, and it is shocking how many people will take us up on that. They all have the money in the account, they just choose to wait 30-60 days to give it to you.

This is assuming that you are doing your due diligence as a business and providing the work as contracted at the price you gave them with the right parts as quoted. 

If fire is contracted through the same person as police, I would absolutely hold the fire vehicles in the shop until payment was received on the past projects.  If fire asks, I would tell them that you are waiting on payment on the last vehicles before you COULD release the next vehicles. Fire will be upset but it should be at their city, not at you. Usually enough fire and police guys complaining in the check writers office will help speed up payment

If fire is contracted through fire, and paid by the fire budget, then technically it is a different customer and I would release their trucks holding them to the same standard as police. 

Don't get me wrong, I am a super nice and forgiving guy, but I do not believe in providing work to the government for free. We do quality work, and we expect to get paid for it. if they don't want to pay, I don't want their work. easy as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: proudfirefighter

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Does your state allow charging interest once it goes past the due date?  And it would have to be printed on your invoices.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Cory, WHFD still hasn't sent a check.. but thats not the one I'm talking about. It's a city west of here. 

I've reached out to them via phone and e-mail and havn't gotten responses. I'm going to make a trip out there to talk to someone this week.  

Not big at all.. fronting $30,000 worth of equipment gets pretty rough. 

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I would recommend after you get this sorted out that any future work for them will require some payment upfront. We usually require half down for customers who we've had trouble getting payment from or customers who come in with rush orders. We also make sure that everyone understands when they payment(s) are due. They also know if we do not receive any communication or payment from them by the date(s) we will begin to charge interest. If you do not get any answers when you visit, and they will be paying for the police cars also, I think you have no choice but to take them to court or hold a few of the police cars as collateral.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
My friend contracts for the traffic lights in one of the local cities  here.   he gets paid the contract plus extras.  the city has been slow at times but he just stops by the mayors office and works it out.   the slowest pays are insurance related ones.  Insurance company dont like to pay for a whole new Cabinet and all the bells and whistles .     He does not push the issue too hard he gets compensation in other ways as well

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
You could always hire a guy from New York named Vinny who has a baseball bat and brass knuckles in his car. That resolves a lot of problems.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.