City Of Waukesha Chiefs Buggy

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
I hope the person who approved that can justify it to the city auditors.

While it has some nice features, it is waaaay over the top, and blinding. All those lights, yet the lighting is totally ineffective for anything other communicating that there is a big blur moving down the road.

Given the siren and horns, I would be looking for a much larger apparatus to be barreling down the road. That makes it almost comical to the general public who would also be looking for an engine or truck among the traffic and a Tonka Toy appears.

I know people have differing views on the chevrons, but to me they just look weird when they are pointing in toward the center of the vehicle like that.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
What kind of air horns are those? not 1510 grovers...??

I won't even comment on the amount of lighting.. do I spy a multiplex system!!?!!?!?!

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
All in all I think that truck is very well laid out! The lighting is a bit over the top, but the functional features of that truck look superb!

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
The installer really likes tootin' that horn! To flashy, I bet it will end up being one of the vehicles a drunk stares at and hits because of it. I swear thats what seems to happen now.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
The cover of Thunderstruck was horrid. That I can't forgive.

For the hoe I like it and would drive the hell out of it. Only thing I don't care for is the rotobeam lights on the tailgate. Replace those with some M9s.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
The chevrons are the wrong way. The optical design of the chevrons are to point down and away not down and in. I have not googles them yet but is that a big city. Seems very over the top for a multi jurisdiction command. IMO an ambulance chassis would have fit the bill better. At least all the lights would have fit an ambulance body.

May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
Fix the rear striping in the rear to lime/yellow and NFPA etc, otherwise I think it looks good. Probably the best side warning of any similar vehicle. I think the horns may be Buell? If the idea is to be heard and seen, this does it!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
WAYYYYYYYYY too much!! The only thing I like is the scene lighting!! Cut the amount of warning in half, and it would be much more effective!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Cool factor? Yes!

Could they have had an effective setup with 1/2 those lights? Yes.

Personally, I don't see the need for all that lighting on an IC vehicle. Mechanical siren & train horns are cool but SOOO unnecessary on a Tahoe/expedition-size vehicle. Duo AS124 speakers would've been plenty of noisemakers.

Although I think it's very cool, I don't even know where to start with the perimeter lifting, b/c there is so damn much of it.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
I think the vehicle looks great and is VERY well laid out as far as functionality however the lights could have been reduced just a little and have been very effective.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
It is a great install even if it is blindingly bright and overkill. I don't think anyone is not going to turn down a customer that want to buy that much equipment it is still great work.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Eric1249 said:

I like the setup. It's similar to the Batt. Chief's car in Odessa (TX). Is that an Eagle Siren mounted into the front bumper? That's the way the Odessa rig is set up.

Is the outfitter there in Waukesha? I've been there once, when I made a trip to Milwaukee many years ago.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Dissension said:
I like the Screaming Eagle siren and, as a total novice, the installation itself appears to be clean. However, there are way too many lightheads.

The Eagle is a lot louder than I would've originally given it credit for. It was patterned after the California-built Timberwolf Siren, thus allowing both to resembled a down-sized Super Chief. But the Eagle seems to be considerably more well-built than the T.W.

Odessa Fire/Rescue has been using the Eagle on all new ambulances and on their batt. chief Tahoes for several years now, and they really like them, but the cost has been out-of-sight because it cost a lot for the bumper mounts on their newer super-sized ambulances.

I was admittedly skeptical when they first got them, but my mind was soon changed the first time I heard one in use. Remarkable for such a "little critter"! If you google "Odessa Fire Dept" on the images section you can see a couple of photos of the OFD Tahoes.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Eric1249 said:
It is. It is on the south side of the city.

How big is Waukesha now, Eric? It's been more than 30 yrs since I've been there. I just wonder if traffic conditions justify the way this unit has been decked out. Odessa is right at 100K and Midland just over 111K now. Lubbock, where I ran my ambulance service for more than 22 years is now a bit over 222K, but was "only" 175K when I was there. I'd hate like hell to try to run hot in that place now. Wasn't quite that bad when I was there.....but I could tell a couple of stories...! :p

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Skip Goulet said:
How big is Waukesha now, Eric? It's been more than 30 yrs since I've been there. I just wonder if traffic conditions justify the way this unit has been decked out. Odessa is right at 100K and Midland just over 111K now. Lubbock, where I ran my ambulance service for more than 22 years is now a bit over 222K, but was "only" 175K when I was there. I'd hate like hell to try to run hot in that place now. Wasn't quite that bad when I was there.....but I could tell a couple of stories...! :p

Waukesha has grown over 30 years But the population is still under 100,000. I run hot through the City often and I manage just fine. And they have a small section of interstate. I still haven't seen the truck in person yet.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Skip Goulet said:
The Eagle is a lot louder than I would've originally given it credit for. It was patterned after the California-built Timberwolf Siren, thus allowing both to resembled a down-sized Super Chief. But the Eagle seems to be considerably more well-built than the T.W.

Odessa Fire/Rescue has been using the Eagle on all new ambulances and on their batt. chief Tahoes for several years now, and they really like them, but the cost has been out-of-sight because it cost a lot for the bumper mounts on their newer super-sized ambulances.

I was admittedly skeptical when they first got them, but my mind was soon changed the first time I heard one in use. Remarkable for such a "little critter"! If you google "Odessa Fire Dept" on the images section you can see a couple of photos of the OFD Tahoes.

Audio clips and videos i've heard suggest the Screaming Eagle has a higher pitch than the Timber Wolf, can anyone verify?

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Not going to quote, but answers to a previous posts.

The address of the shop is at the end of the video and is the Town of Waukesha as it has a SW address. That rig is total over kill for Waukesha and sad to see my family members tax dollars that live up there go to waste. As noted they do not really have much of a freeway, most of it is Pewaukee and Town of Brookfield. Waukesha is not a large city, has a small downtown comparing it to Milwaukee. It may seem bigger because of all the other cities/towns around it that have grown. Last time I was out there in 2011 traffic is nothing bad, was able to manage driving around the city just fine. Nothing like here in Dallas/Fort Worth just trying to go across town that takes forever.

I like the inside setup and command options, but there is way too many lights. Just one big blur in that video until it gets close, way too much use of white when more red should be used (IMHO).

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
:crazy:

Eric1249 said:
Waukesha has grown over 30 years But the population is still under 100,000. I run hot through the City often and I manage just fine. And they have a small section of interstate. I still haven't seen the truck in person yet.

Because of Lubbock's increased population and the fact that the city has spread so far out, EMS is now running first responder trucks along with the EMS unit. As big as Lubbock is, it's one of the few places where EMS is NOT part of the fire dept. In 1966 the Lubbock Fire Dept. got stuck with ambulance operations when all five of the local funeral homes ceased their ambulance operations..all at once. A new federal wage and hour law that had just come in was pushing the funeral homes out. So the city bought a bunch old military-surplus Pontiac ambulances, with the idea of placing one at each fire station and two at Central. The idea was fine, a bit ahead of how you now see EMS units that operate through the fire department. But the downside was that those Pontiacs were basically junk when the city bought them, and not much better when placed into service. So...almost every time they tried to run, the car broke down and another had to be dispatched. But then suddenly, Henderson Funeral Directors announced that they had decided to retain their ambulance operations. That got the city off the hook and made Henderson look good. Downside was that Henderson only ran three ambulances, and that was just almost impossible to cover a city of just under 150K at that time. And the response time out into the SW part of town was getting bad. So people in that area petitioned Franklin-Bartley F.H. to go back into the ambulance business, and they agreed. But the city let them know that they could run, but because Henderson had the city/county contract, F-B could only run calls they actually received. So back into business F-B went. But they had to face things like city dispatchers refusing them clearance and giving Henderson the call. So Bob Bartley got with the three other funeral directors. They formed a corporation known as AID Ambulance so that there would be a reasonable way to fight the Henderson monopoly. AID opened its doors in an old fraternity house just east of the Texas Tech campus in August of '68. I went to work for AID as a dispatcher in Sept. when I first went to Tech. We faced the same thing from the city that Franklin-Bartley had gone through, and it took from then until 1972 to get past the Henderson monopoly. What finally put Henderson out was the fact that Walter Henderson didn't like having to transport blacks in his ambulances. He claimed that it wasn't a racial issue, but the fact that they just didn't pay. But with the contract he had, he had no choice. But suddenly we started getting runs in the mostly black area that Henderson was turning down, claiming to have their ambulances tied up at the moment. Since I monitored not only the police and fire channels but AID and Henderson, I kept up fairly closely with who was going where; and Henderson was just not running all that much. So one Saturday I had just walked in at home and the monitors sprang to life. LPD dispatched on a shooting at a well-known black night spot, and then announced that Henderson would be rolling. I wondered about that, since I had handled so many Henderson turn-downs. Suddenly I hear Henderson's dispatcher sending a unit on the shooting, but the driver says to dispatch: "That's on the East Side and Mr. Henderson has aid no more calls in that area." Whoooooa! My suspicions had been correct. So I call our boss who lived on premises and dispatched at night. I told him to be prepared for another Henderson turn down, and once he had handled the call, he asked what was going on and I told him. Eventually Henderson's refusal to run on the East Side that resulted in a DOA because it took too long to get another ambulance over there, Walter Henderson and AID's then-new owner David Ehler were summoned to City Hall. Henderson finally admitted that he didn't like going on the East Side and surrendered his license. AID got the contract at that point and maintained it until 1975 when the Lubbock County Hospital District opened Lubbock Co. EMS, and they're still the primary EMS source. AID is still the primary transport service. Politics!

If you get close to that chief's wagon, you're gonna have to get some updated photos of it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.