Classic light bar recommendation

Dr.Jon

My young son has decided to follow in my foot steps and become a FF/EMT. When he gets department approval, he wants to get a light bar for his truck. I survived for years with a FireBall throw light, but he wants a "vintage" style light bar for his 99 Ford F250 crew cab.
I'm a user not an installer, so bear with me. Would a JetSonic or AeroDynic be right for that era? What width? Can they be retrofitted with LEDs to reduce amp draw?
Thanks for your time.

Sparky_911

Gold Supporter
he wants a "vintage" style light bar for his 99 Ford F250 crew cab.
Would a JetSonic or AeroDynic be right for that era? What width?
Can they be retrofitted with LEDs to reduce amp draw?
Thanks for your time.
1. 90s vintage would be C3 XL5K, Whelen Edge, or Aerodynic (although that's a bit older). Look for pics of rigs that his department had in the 90s and get an idea from there.
2. For an F250 a 55inch bar would look great. Mount it mid cab (B post area).
3. Yes you can retrofit, however they are very ineffective. If he has takedowns or alleys those might be worth an upgrade.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Jon

Thanks gents! In my day it was Federal 184s, Unity, and the like. I tried to convince him a Unity with a SpitFire dome would be awesome, but he wants a bar.

CrownVic97

Veteran Member
Tomar bar

Whelen Edge 9000 with 500 series LED modules & usual strobes

Code 3 Excalibur

Whelen Edge 9000, strobe & halogen combo

Code 3 MX7000

Federal Signal Vision/Vector

There's some ideas to toss around ;)

pdk9

Veteran Member
Code 3 MX7000! It’s my favorite halogen bar....combination of the intersection sweeps, fast rotators & flashers (you can replace the halogen ones with LED modules) was a super effective combo!

John Smith

Agree with the MX. Just be careful with the amp draw. Half of our Crown Vic's you had the choice at idle, you got air conditioning or lights, not both.

dg0223

Excalibur for lowest profile, MX7000 for a taller bar. Anything older would look out of place. Those Code 3 options would still look appropriate for the vintage of the truck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weoff8823
Top Bottom