Classic light bar recommendation

Dr.Jon

Dec 23, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
My young son has decided to follow in my foot steps and become a FF/EMT. When he gets department approval, he wants to get a light bar for his truck. I survived for years with a FireBall throw light, but he wants a "vintage" style light bar for his 99 Ford F250 crew cab.
I'm a user not an installer, so bear with me. Would a JetSonic or AeroDynic be right for that era? What width? Can they be retrofitted with LEDs to reduce amp draw?
Thanks for your time.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
he wants a "vintage" style light bar for his 99 Ford F250 crew cab.
Would a JetSonic or AeroDynic be right for that era? What width?
Can they be retrofitted with LEDs to reduce amp draw?
Thanks for your time.
1. 90s vintage would be C3 XL5K, Whelen Edge, or Aerodynic (although that's a bit older). Look for pics of rigs that his department had in the 90s and get an idea from there.
2. For an F250 a 55inch bar would look great. Mount it mid cab (B post area).
3. Yes you can retrofit, however they are very ineffective. If he has takedowns or alleys those might be worth an upgrade.

Reactions: Dr.Jon

Dr.Jon

Dec 23, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Thanks gents! In my day it was Federal 184s, Unity, and the like. I tried to convince him a Unity with a SpitFire dome would be awesome, but he wants a bar.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Tomar bar
2002-ford-f-550-crew-cab-4x4-73utilityfire-truckwork-truck-2.jpg

Whelen Edge 9000 with 500 series LED modules & usual strobes
bedfordSafetyTraining.jpg

Code 3 Excalibur
lifted1.jpg

Whelen Edge 9000, strobe & halogen combo
ag_800.jpg

Code 3 MX7000
truck-550-ds.jpg

Federal Signal Vision/Vector
1999.JPG

There's some ideas to toss around ;)

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Excalibur for lowest profile, MX7000 for a taller bar. Anything older would look out of place. Those Code 3 options would still look appropriate for the vintage of the truck.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
And no matter what bar you choose, I would avoid swapping out the bulbs for LEDs. The bar won't be anywhere near as effective as it should be if you replace the halogen lights.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i believe he meant the lower level halogens.. which can be replacedeasily and will reduce amp draw.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.