Cleaning Handcuffs

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
I don't think it was ever discussed here but there are a lot of methods, as with everything, to cleaning handcuffs. If anyone would like to share their method of cleaning/maintaining theirs, please post it up.

A lot of people do the bleach bath, then hose down with WD40 or bake in the oven etc. But, as a start to this, I will say that you CANNOT bleach the blued (black) S&W 100 cuffs. I have seen it online numerous times, "this method works for me, no problems yet with my black S&W's". Well I had a feeling it wasn't safe for the finish so I never did it, until the other day. This weekend I got so much blood on my cuffs, I mean like in the mechanism and locks, that I had no choice and felt bleach was the only way to completely sanitize them. Well here's the outcome below. But I will say, a bleach water mixture on a steel set works fine. Now I have to go wipe them down and oil them so I can use them until I get 2 more :lol:

IMG_2302.JPG

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
builds character... like scars. ;)

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
When I worked at a hospital in Security and got cuffs dirty we let the surgery unit run them through their surgical utensil sterilizer and dryer. Worked great.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Pimp said:
When I worked at a hospital in Security and got cuffs dirty we let the surgery unit run them through their surgical utensil sterilizer and dryer. Worked great.

So, in other words, start scouring eBay for your very own unit!!!! :mrgreen:

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Even with the blood, I wear gloves and wash with strong soap and water, then lube up with CLP. The strong alkali will kill anything, which is how bleach disinfects.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Did you leave them in for a long time? I used to use the bleach/water solution, and then a hair dryer to get the water out. Then a good oiling. I never had any trouble, but they were stainless steel cuffs.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Hot soapy water and an old toothbrush. Wipe down air dry. Follow with a drop of gun oil on the teeth and keyhole. The way it was done for years and no one died from exposure .

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
autoclave machine,you can find small ones they use in tattoo shops that are big enough to fit your cuffs in for around $150 on ebay

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Eh, Ill stick with the "free" methods. lol. I'm going to get 2 more of the new M&P Smith 100s and carry 3 pairs with me from now on.

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
Phillyrube said:
Even with the blood, I wear gloves and wash with strong soap and water, then lube up with CLP. The strong alkali will kill anything, which is how bleach disinfects.

It is actually the hypochlorous acid formed by the dissociation of bleach into water that has the antimicrobial effect; the sodium simply acts as an intermediate stabilizing ion to allow the formation of bleach from NaOH and NaCl.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
We used to use a hospital grade aerosol sanitizer (cant remember the name but was in a green can with yellow cap). After dousing them and letting soak for 10 mins wed wipe them off then use CLP to lubricate them.

I have boiled them in the past but tried not to do that very often. Boiling tends to remove all lubricant, so you need to heavily lubricate them after boiling. I only used peerless brand cuffs and never had an issue with boiling them. For quick cleanings I used clorox wipes.

Gloves that got covered in blood or other body fluids (were talking a lot not just a drop or two) were pulled from service and placed in a biohazard bag for transport to the hospital. The hospital would disenfect them for us using their autoclave or whatever it is.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
You might be able to save them. Go to a sporting goods store and pick up a gun blueing kit. They arent too expensive but they have a stripper that will get rid of whats left of the blueing and then a blueing agent to put a finish on them again. Bleach is an oxidizer (causes rust and fast!) and with blueing (basically a different form of rust) it will cause the outcome you have.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
charlie82 said:
It is actually the hypochlorous acid formed by the dissociation of bleach into water that has the antimicrobial effect; the sodium simply acts as an intermediate stabilizing ion to allow the formation of bleach from NaOH and NaCl.

Somebody paid attention in chem class! :)

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
BigDogg795 said:
Somebody paid attention in chem class! :)

I guess it helps that I am majoring in chemistry and work in an acid reactions lab.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.