Cleaning/Polishing Rotators and Diamonds?

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
What's the best way to go about cleaning and polishing rotator reflectors and diamond reflectors? I have more than a few that are in need of both cleaning and polishing, but I don't want to risk scratching them in any way or fogging them. Some of the rotators and diamonds that I have are in desperate need of some major cleaning and I wasn't sure of how I could safely clean off some serious dirt and grime and then polish them. I also have some that are clean, but just in need of a good shine. I just really, really don't want to mess any of them up.

CAPTAIN 58

Feb 10, 2017
Drexel hill pa
I use a mild dish soap and water to clean the dirt off them and a micro fiber towel to dry them but haven't ever polished them

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
They're all metal. I have a mirror for a Firebeam where someone used chrome cleaner and put a bunch of fine lines on the mirrors. Definitely want to avoid that! Much like CAPTAIN 58 said, I use dish soap for most cleaning and always use microfibers on anything that can scratch. Dawn works very well, IME.

How do you guys usually go about the actual cleaning and/or polishing once? What are your methods and what's worked well for you most of the time?

What are some of the major Do's and Don'ts for cleaning and/or polishing? Any tips or tricks? Is there anything to really watch out for and be careful for? I really want to avoid fine scratches, fogging, let alone scratches and would hopefully be able to get a mirror shine.

Would one of those automotive microfiber cleaning or polishing cloths be useful or just stick with a good-quality microfiber cleaning cloth?

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The stainless metal mirrors/reflectors are much less subject to damage than the plated plastic. I have cleaned the metal with soapy water, and lightly polished with Novus 2, with great results. For the plastic, use soapy water and finger tips only. Pat dry, do not wipe.
To repair scratched plastic or metal FLAT mirrors, I go to a local glass shop and cut thin glass mirror to exact size and glue on. You can't get a better mirrored surface than that. Better than factory!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.