Cleaning up work truck

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Looking for help and input to clean up and fix some stuff on one of my work trucks. It's a Ford Expedition(I forget what year), ex-chiefs car that is now a DPW car. When it was decommissioned as a chiefs car all radios were removed and main light bar was removed. They did leave a 911ep TD39 in the back, a 911ep LS12 on the dash, strobes in the headlights and taillights, a set of strobe lights in the grill, and lights on the side mirrors. The lights in the grill, and the strobes in the head and tail lights don't work, and the traffic part of the TD39 doesn't work. What I'm looking for is some input on the best way to fix and re-do some of this so that what I have works, and have the option for adding a little more if my boss allows.

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
Pics will help you greatly

as for the strobes: did they pull the supply? or perhaps pull the fuse to the supply to render them inoperable?

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I will take some pictures tomorrow at work, and the weird thing is there's two strobe packs that I found, but they seem to be working fine as some of the working lights are connected to both packs.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Attached are pictures of the two strobe packs and some of the wiring from that, and the switches currently in the truck. What I wanted to do/know if possible to do is use the 3 separate switches to control the arrow stick function of the 911EP light in the rear, and if it'd be possible to tap into existing wiring that's still good to fix what's there and possibly add more.

Attachments

• 20170424_141318.jpg
    20170424_141318.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170424_141524.jpg
    20170424_141524.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 14

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
What you've got to do is some trouble shooting to find your answers. A 12v test light, some wire leads w/ gator clips, a charged 12 to 18 volt drill battery. And some detective work lol.

For the strobes, trouble shoot by simply plugging a non working into a working outlet to test for bad strobe. Likely the cause, but be aware some strobe packs will fire pairs of leads on separate "trigger" wires.
For the arrow functions, get your eyes on an install guide, use search function on the forum for that, and use the battery and cables to verify the left, right, warn or center out wiring that you want to use and what colors they are, you'll have to dig in and try to logic what wires do what that you have at the rear.
Then you need to probe out where your red switches end up, so they can be tied in... of course this is highly abbreviated. But this is an outline of the steps you'll need to accomplish to complete the new Expedition set up.
Good luck.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Thank you for the input, fortunately I found the wiring diagram from the arrow bar which lays out which wires are which. Is it worth swapping out the strobes in the headlights/taillights for LED?

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
The strobes are easy enough to diagnose and replace to be honest.
I'd keep them over swapping for cannons..

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I use a notebook, say you start at the rear wiring junction, untape or unloom the bundle, jot down wires on your pad, as you determine functions, jot them down on your pad.
This technique is worth millions if you ever have to go back in for repairs or additions. I usually put a "as bullt" paper in the glove box for future reference.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Started making progress today- replaced the LED cards in the 911ep LS12, and started working on the wiring for the arrow bar. Just wondering for some of the stuff if it's worth replacing strobe with strobe or going the LED route for the grill headlights and taillights.

Reactions: Ultimate D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.