Cleveland police siren tones

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Looking for the siren tones for the old cleveland police.. what type of sire made those it was a weird wail.. I believe it was made by whelen and had a white face plate

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Are they by any chance only 58 watts? Because every CPD car I know of (until 2006 when I left that area) was hard to hear - they had to be almost directly on top of you before you heard the siren.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Whelen WS224 and WS227 both use the same amp. The only differncevwas in the control heads. They are both 100 watt.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The wail tone is okay, but what really makes the 227 stand out is the yelp. That yelp has a bit of a 'bark' to it. It's a low pitched siren nonetheless and sounds good to my ears. :)

jasonefd19

Aug 5, 2010
USA Connecticut
Those were the best tones EVER! When I first started riding with my father in his cruiser they had those sirens. A few fire apparatus have them in town still. Wish I could get my hands on one for my work rig!

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Is this the one you guys are talking about?

When did Phaser/Priority, etc. start coming out?

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
(Would help if I actually posted the link, lol...)

Funny surprise at the end too. (I only say it's funny because she's fine and she's able to laugh about it)

ALSO, I had a deal going for one on the old board, but then the board died, and I don't know if he joined this current one or not...kinda pissed, I want his siren, lol...

GSPI

Nov 7, 2010
CLE
Cleveland PD also used a Whelen Project-a-flex siren speaker too that was typical from about 1984 on and from what I've seen and heard, those speakers made the siren sound like a Kazoo.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
GSPI said:
Cleveland PD also used a Whelen Project-a-flex siren speaker too that was typical from about 1984 on and from what I've seen and heard, those speakers made the siren sound like a Kazoo.

I always heard they were one of the best for siren tones, because of the acoustic tubing...

GSPI

Nov 7, 2010
CLE
I'm not sure but the sounds would normally be muted on the CPD cars though and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. CPD had 100 watt systems even in the 1970's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.