Code 2 1/2

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
My department only recognizes code 1 (routine) and code 3 (priority). That being said, MD traffic law does not require an audible siren to be an emergency vehicle.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I don't know what that is? I can say legally in Ohio it either lights AND siren, or nothing at all. But normally past midnight, the crews will just run lights unless the see traffic or get to a more traveled area of the city. Kinda like a nice thing to do. And whenever I did this, once on the interstate, the siren is on, and never, ever, through a red light or stop sign without some kind of audible warning. :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Lights w/o siren = seriously dangerous

I will say you out drive your siren at 55 mph, so it is kinda pointless on the interstate....

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
We don't run Codes persay, but I still get it. I'd say 50% of the time I run lights w/ no siren, and the other half I run both. During the day, I normally run both almost everywhere, at night when I'm the only person around I'll normally run only lights until I need to bust the highway intersections. In residential areas, it's usually only lights, because I don't like to go very fast in residential areas anyway.

A funny thing is though, Iowa Code says that an emergency vehicle need only to run lights OR a siren to have the right-of-way. So technically I could run with ONLY a siren and no lights... Bad idea though.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
We had an employee cited when running lights only down an alley at night... and someone hit him at an uncontrolled intersection.

colby4601

May 23, 2010
Southeastern Saskatchewan
We've got Code 2, Code 3 and Code 4. Code 2 is no emergency equipment, Code 3 is lights with siren only when needed (for things such as distant transfers on a highway) and Code 4 is lights and sirens. A lot of times, EMS will run Code 3 at night unless the siren is really necessary. Hose jockies roll with the whole shebang each time they're out of the call. Like 0230 this morning.

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
What i was talking about at least at my department is when we get a call that isn't a full code 3 call Lights and Siren but still you have to get there and don't have the time to waste at each traffic signal that you stop at. And you use the lights and siren just to clear the intersection.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Ben E. said:
We don't run Codes persay, but I still get it. I'd say 50% of the time I run lights w/ no siren, and the other half I run both. During the day, I normally run both almost everywhere, at night when I'm the only person around I'll normally run only lights until I need to bust the highway intersections. In residential areas, it's usually only lights, because I don't like to go very fast in residential areas anyway.

A funny thing is though, Iowa Code says that an emergency vehicle need only to run lights OR a siren to have the right-of-way. So technically I could run with ONLY a siren and no lights... Bad idea though.

We actually were in the rig going to a medical call and about half way through i saw from the back that the console lights were not illuminated (our lights weren't on) but we had already run a few intersections with just the siren... :oops:

It could have been so much worse for us had something god forbid happened... I wasn't driving so it wasn't my fault but still...

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Technically by PA law, if lights are on and you are in motion, siren must be as well. Now, at 2am do I go flying through the borough with the siren blaring, heck no. Fortunately most of the traffic lights in one borough have opticoms, so it's pretty easy with just lights. Otherwise it's a few whoop-whoop-whoops on the siren at an empty intersection, stop, clear and go. Daylight - it's both lights and sirens...no question.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
During the day- full lights and siren.

During the night- full lights and siren if there's traffic. If it's late night and there's no one on the road then I just run my lights. No need to wake people up in the town just because I'm up.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
I dont understand how not using lights and sirens is not mandatory. Ga law requires all public safety vehicle to use both, otherwise they are not considered emergency vehicles. Nothing chaps my ass like seeing an ambulance doing 70-90 w/o using both in traffic.

The time of day or night should'nt matter. Who cares if it inconvieniences someone?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
11b101abn said:
Who cares if it inconvieniences someone?

Ummm, the general public that votes for some of our bosses, or votes for tax increases for our salary. COP at it's best, gotta please everyone all the time. :roll:

I use my best judgement. 3am, no traffic, I might not even run lights to a call. I almost seem to get there faster without them sometimes.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
11b101abn said:
Who cares if it inconvieniences someone?
I wanna work where you work!!! I work in a county where we weren't allowed to have shotguns in the passenger compartment because it looked too menacing. Before I was hired, officers weren't allowed to wear black gloves with a short sleeve uniform. It seems that the administrative staff is more concerned with appeasing idiots than actual law enforcement...

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
mcpd2025 said:
I wanna work where you work!!! I work in a county where we weren't allowed to have shotguns in the passenger compartment because it looked too menacing. Before I was hired, officers weren't allowed to wear black gloves with a short sleeve uniform. It seems that the administrative staff is more concerned with appeasing idiots than actual law enforcement...

Sounds almost like we work in the same department. No tinted windows, no mirrored sunglasses, can only carry one (visible) knife, no more than 2 spare mags, no lights allowed on our weapons until very recently, and was even told my cross draw baton 'did give off the right image', though that's the same way we carry tazers. Oh, and can't carry the mag light on day shift because a dept in a different county had a guy throw one at a car that didn't follow an officer's traffic signal. He didn't even get a write up, yet we, an hour away, can't carry our lights... I got reprimanded for yelling at a lady who almost ran through the crosswalk as kids were walking in a school zone. She said 'I'm not going to be yelled at by some young punk' and the chief yelled at me for being a 'tactless baby officer' though the Sr Officer was also there and stood up for me. Go team.

Anyway, back on topic, we don't really do the 'lights on for an intersection then back off' thing. If it's not something we usually run code to but need to get there quick (fight without weapons, officer calling for another unit on a stop but not calling us 10-18/ not 10-18, 911 hang up from a store clerk), we will run hard until we get to a light/ intersection/ traffic clog, then we go blues and two's and don't turn them off until we get close to the scene. Only time we have lights without siren is on traffic stops or when nearing an in-progress call and we don't want to alert the perp.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
During the day I run full lights/siren non-stop on my way to the station. At night I have to routes I can take, one is a back road and I'll keep my lights on but use my siren sparingly. The other is one of the busiest roads in VT and I'll run full lights/siren at 2am just because there are so many cross streets.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.