Code 3 36” lightbar question

Dingo

May 30, 2012
usa, maine
I know code 3 had a 36” lightbar with the independent rotators but was there ever ones with the par 36 bulbs/ belt driven version made from code 3 ? I’ve seen a few homemade versions out there , or I’m assuming they are homemade, thanks.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Code 3 did offer at least 2 models with parabolic reflectors in the 36'' size :

-XL5000
-LP6000

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The only PAR C3 bars I'm aware of are all 48 or bigger (stock anyway, have seen homemade 36).

MX7K, XL5K, LP series were offered in 36 from factory. Most were just rotors only no frills bars.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm not aware of any 36 inch PSE Code 3 bars with PAR 36 rotators, at least non that were catalog items. PSE would custom build just about anything for their customers, so without seeing it, I would not rule out a factory custom build.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The only PAR C3 bars I'm aware of are all 48 or bigger (stock anyway, have seen homemade 36).

MX7K, XL5K, LP series were offered in 36 from factory. Most were just rotors only no frills bars.

There were some sealed beam mini bars, well shorter than 36" however:

rISXX7f.jpg

Credit: @JohnMarcson

Reactions: Tony P

Dingo

May 30, 2012
usa, maine
Thanks for the info,much appreciated, got some full size bars coming that I’m gonna have some fun with with the help of a saw lol!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
got some full size bars coming that I’m gonna have some fun with with the help of a saw lol!

Please, please don't. Instead of destroying them, please consider letting them go to a collector who can appreciate them for what they are.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
meh... C3 XL bars don't have much value currently. I would prioritize the XL9000 over the XL5000, but I say do what you want. Parts are pretty plentiful and these are not rare in the slightest.

Usually I'd be 100% with @shues honestly.. but these are not rare, and commonly found.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Recall that the XL series is not the only sealed beam bar Code 3 produced. The SD series bars are definitely becoming collectible!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
There were some sealed beam mini bars, well shorter than 36" however:

rISXX7f.jpg

Credit: @JohnMarcson

Forgot about those. The XL5K version was real popular back in the 80s, usually mounted over rear doors of cube ambulances. I still haven't seen a factory stock XL9K in 36 though.

Dingo

May 30, 2012
usa, maine
One of my reason for making it smaller is due to lack of room where I display my lights, plus I find standard code 3 bars with the speaker section in the middle rather ( yawn) boring.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Pop out the speaker grille and make it a triple threat. Or if you're cutting it down then make a shorty bar out of the middle.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Thanks for the info,much appreciated, got some full size bars coming that I’m gonna have some fun with with the help of a saw lol!
Nooooooooo! Please do not cut up what is becoming a prized and collectable bar.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I like this custom job on this bar, but the power needed to run it is horrible. Neat idea though
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 36 amps as it appears to have been equipped with 4416 bulbs. Amp draw would be even higher with 7400 bulbs.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 36 amps as it appears to have been equipped with 4416 bulbs. Amp draw would be even higher with 7400 bulbs.

As I know the creator of this bar, I would be really surprised if he did not use 7400 lamps. I could be wrong though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.