Code 3 AS2 Question.

Irishrover68

Feb 19, 2021
Tacoma Washington
So, I just put power to the two AS2's that I recently picked up. All the lights work, but as another member said, he didn't recall them ever having an internal flasher to alternate the lights.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there are three wires editing the chassis on the rear of each light. Hot, ground, and a white wire. When I put the red and black to power, only one light illuminates, same when I hooked up the hot and white wire, only it was the other side that illuminated. When I connected the white to the ground wire, both lights illuminate simultaneously, but are dimmer than normal.

Here's my question. I want to get these to flash in a wig wag pattern. Do I just install a 537 flasher internally, and how in the world do I wire it up. I have less issues wiring a switch to LED's since it's either ground or positive triggered momentary to cycle patterns. Any help is appreciated. I had an AS2 a few years back that already had the cigar plug, and a flasher installed, so I'm assuming the person I bought it from installed it, although I'm not sure how much room there is inside.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210612-134157_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-134157_eBay.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210612-134215_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-134215_eBay.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 6

Irishrover68

Feb 19, 2021
Tacoma Washington
open one up, let's see the insides. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
As soon as I have a chance, I'll pop one open and post a pic. It shouldn't be to complicated hopefully. The only confusion I had was when I connected the white wire to either hot or ground and got a different result each time. I'll get it posted as soon as possible

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Here you go. Everything just slides out. If you can figure this out, I give you a round of applause!!
Look at the photo of the entire back of the circuit board. In your photo, the circuit trace on the far left is the 12 volt negative (ground). it is common (shared) for both sides. The other two circuits, the one in the center and the one on the right, are the individual power (12 volt positive) feeds for each individual side.

to me it looks like black is ground, and applying 12 volts + to the white wire will light up the side closest to the wire connector and to the red wire will light up the other side.

Yes, a 537 flasher or electronic equivilant will work just fine

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
by the way, to add more confusion: You could also connect +12 vdc to the black wire, and install a 537 flasher connected to each side, then connect the third terminal of the flasher to ground. It will work either way. Halogen or incandescent bulbs don't care which way current flows.

that;s how almost all auto turn signals worked in the old days.

but i would wire it up according to the first answer.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Look at the photo of the entire back of the circuit board. In your photo, the circuit trace on the far left is the 12 volt negative (ground). it is common (shared) for both sides. The other two circuits, the one in the center and the one on the right, are the individual power (12 volt positive) feeds for each individual side.

to me it looks like black is ground, and applying 12 volts + to the white wire will light up the side closest to the wire connector and to the red wire will light up the other side.

Yes, a 537 flasher or electronic equivilant will work just fine

Connect a fused 12 v + lead to your switch. A 537 flasher has 3 terminals:

connect the output of the switch to terminal "X" on the flasher.
connect terminal "L" to the white wire on the AS2
connect terminal "P" to the red wire of the AS2

Connect the black wire on the AS2 to a good grounding point or to the negative battery terminal

I would use a 10 amp fuse max. 16 or 14 gauge wiring should be sufficient.

Irishrover68

Feb 19, 2021
Tacoma Washington
Connect a fused 12 v + lead to your switch. A 537 flasher has 3 terminals:

connect the output of the switch to terminal "X" on the flasher.
connect terminal "L" to the white wire on the AS2
connect terminal "P" to the red wire of the AS2

Connect the black wire on the AS2 to a good grounding point or to the negative battery terminal

I would use a 10 amp fuse max. 16 or 14 gauge wiring should be sufficient.
Thank you so much!! Do you recommend a specific model of electronic flasher such as a certain model number, or type?

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Not really, in terms of specific flasher. Wagner 537s are what we used in old days. They are thermal/mechanical in nature (Click-Click-Click). They are pretty large, there are smaller flashers out there I'm sure.

One thing that I've observed with the 537 is that they are designed for more than just one light per side. With a smaller load on each side, sometimes you will get one that doesn't flash "evenly". In other words, one light will stay on longer than the other. Fairly rare but I've seen it happen. I'm pretty anal about those things

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
A 537 is pretty small once you take it out of its can. Doing so can be quite tempting when a small space is all you have to work with. However, removing the can alters the thermal characteristics of the flasher and could lead to an even more lopsided flash.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.