Code 3 Hide A Blast issue..

firemane24

Sep 29, 2010
Livingston County, MI
I received a Code 3 Hide A Blast from a buddy some time ago, and today I went to hook it up, and nothing...I checked and double checked all my wiring. I cut apart all the wiring I had just done to make sure it wasn't that. I hooked the light head up to a power source without the flash module inline, and one panel comes on as it should. When I put the module back inline I get nothing, but if I put the blue wire (flash selector) to ground, one panel barely flickers. I am assuming the flash module is shot, but I have no personal experience with Code 3 or external flashers. All I know about Code 3 is the light heads on our two newest engines are slowly burning out after two and three years in service, but that's another story... Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
firemane24 said:
I received a Code 3 Hide A Blast from a buddy some time ago, and today I went to hook it up, and nothing...I checked and double checked all my wiring. I cut apart all the wiring I had just done to make sure it wasn't that. I hooked the light head up to a power source without the flash module inline, and one panel comes on as it should. When I put the module back inline I get nothing, but if I put the blue wire (flash selector) to ground, one panel barely flickers. I am assuming the flash module is shot, but I have no personal experience with Code 3 or external flashers. All I know about Code 3 is the light heads on our two newest engines are slowly burning out after two and three years in service, but that's another story... Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

This kind of Hide A Blast? What do you mean without the inline flasher?

http://www.code3pse.com/public/media/22426.pdf

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
firemane24 said:
No, this model:

Code 3 Fire & EMS > LED Hide-A-Blast

The large black module that you see inline with the wiring in your link is the flash module from what I understand. If I can delete it for something else or any other ideas will be much appreciated.

This "in-line flasher" is also the current regulator for the LEDs. In no model LED hide-away is this flasher designed to be removed and connected to an external flasher or constant power supply. It will destroy them. This flasher contains the circuitry necessary to operate these lightheads at the proper voltage and current.

This is also why there is a steady burn pattern in the pattern list. This allows you to connect the lighthead to an external flasher while still preserving the necessary protection for the lightheads.

I'm sorry, but the abnormal results you are describing when connecting these lightheads properly to an adequate power supply tells me that the lightheads are damaged.

firemane24

Sep 29, 2010
Livingston County, MI
Alright...so if i can find another regulator, I should just be able to wire it into the light? I ask this because the light has a custom made base that makes it possible to mount it to a vehicle roof. I'd rather not have to remake the base. Lack of time and a tich of laziness..

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
firemane24 said:
Alright...so if i can find another regulator, I should just be able to wire it into the light? I ask this because the light has a custom made base that makes it possible to mount it to a vehicle roof. I'd rather not have to remake the base. Lack of time and a tich of laziness..

The lightheads are damaged, not the flasher. If you connected the lightheads to 12 volts, you bypassed the regulator and damaged the LEDs. You'd have to open the lighthead and change out the LEDs.

How many HAB's are having this problem?

firemane24

Sep 29, 2010
Livingston County, MI
The flasher/regulator wasn't putting out anything when supplied power. I didn't bypass that until after I had tried numerous things with the flasher. The light actually turns on when supplied power without the regulator attached. Like I said before, I have no experience with this style of light head. Thank you for the information.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
firemane24 said:
The flasher/regulator wasn't putting out anything when supplied power. I didn't bypass that until after I had tried numerous things with the flasher. The light actually turns on when supplied power without the regulator attached. Like I said before, I have no experience with this style of light head. Thank you for the information.

Sorry, no access to the internet this weekend to respond.

As far as the LAW goes, the in-line driver may be bad, however, there is no way to just purchase the driver. It comes complete as one unit. NO company will sell just the driver and have you attach the light yourself. As far as the lighthead goes for connecting it directly to power, it won't do that for very long. The driver/flasher contains all the circuitry to protect the lighthead. They might have the LEDs arranged in series, but I will bet you that you are over-driving the LEDs and considerably shortening their lifespan.

Did you test these lightheads out before installing them? You mentioned you put the lightheads to the power supply without the flasher after the installation. Were these already cut or did you separate them yourself?

Tony

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.