Code 3 hints at something big: It's a Jack Daniel's app for your iPhone

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Zack said:
Because the MDT is actually an iPad *functioning* as the MDT. There is a wireless hotspot in the cruiser, so any device (in this case an iPad) with Wifi and a browser can access the web-based cjis system.

(Also, you can pull the iPad out, and as long as you are still in wifi range you can run plates, warrants, surf the web for information, etc. You can even take pictures with it.

Awesome if you have a group of people, say at a party or outside a bar, and you want to quickly run them all for warrants while you have them lined up against the wall. Take the iPad over with you, run them and confirm their identity with the RMV photos... take their picture to attach to a report... etc. Don't have to gather their info then walk it back over to the cruiser to run it.)

Oh ok, I thought it was a real MDT, lol.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Zack said:
Because the MDT is actually an iPad *functioning* as the MDT. There is a wireless hotspot in the cruiser, so any device (in this case an iPad) with Wifi and a browser can access the web-based cjis system.

(Also, you can pull the iPad out, and as long as you are still in wifi range you can run plates, warrants, surf the web for information, etc. You can even take pictures with it.

Awesome if you have a group of people, say at a party or outside a bar, and you want to quickly run them all for warrants while you have them lined up against the wall. Take the iPad over with you, run them and confirm their identity with the RMV photos... take their picture to attach to a report... etc. Don't have to gather their info then walk it back over to the cruiser to run it.)

Now do tell... Ever been the butt of any jokes walking around with an iPad? :p

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
mjMIff said:
Now do tell... Ever been the butt of any jokes walking around with an iPad? :p

Do they ensure that you are over 55 years old before they let you use the iPad?

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Don't worry about me fellas.

My "Command Presence" more than makes up for my modern policing techniques and cutting-edge technology.

You know, come to think about it... it's rather funny that just when y'all are getting to the appropriate age they are finally retiring the Grand Marquis from active police service.

;)

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Zack said:
Don't worry about me fellas.

My "Command Presence" more than makes up for my modern policing techniques and cutting-edge technology.

You know, come to think about it... it's rather funny that just when y'all are getting to the appropriate age they are finally retiring the Grand Marquis from active police service.

;)

Nice, lol.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
O.K. So from what I understand they have 3 models. 2 are siren specific (Z3/RLS) and have the actual control head on your phone. This means you can use all the same functions as your installed C3 siren from your phone. Version 3 is universal and will work with any manufacturers product and features 8 inputs and 8 outputs. The funny part in the whole thing....Feinex has their siren with some of these features and it is considered "genius". Code 3 releases a similar product, which is universal, and somehow they have "dropped the ball". I don't get it. You like the "phone" features of the Feinex siren but don't like the actual in-car unit itself?? Too bad...stuck. You want a Whelen siren?? Federal?? No problem with the C3 unit. Quality?? We sell a TON of C3 every year and it almost never comes back. I would say 1 in 500 pieces is returned for a fail. Maybe less..... I don't get the bashing of C3 at all. The Defender light bar is still the brightest bar on the market, The RX2700 has a terrific track record and the 21TR plus is the best bar on the market for price vs. features. I would also put the X-treme series light heads up against any manufacturers similar product for price/punch/durability.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
emtanderson51 said:
O.K. So from what I understand they have 3 models. 2 are siren specific (Z3/RLS) and have the actual control head on your phone. This means you can use all the same functions as your installed C3 siren from your phone. Version 3 is universal and will work with any manufacturers product and features 8 inputs and 8 outputs. The funny part in the whole thing....Feinex has their siren with some of these features and it is considered "genius". Code 3 releases a similar product, which is universal, and somehow they have "dropped the ball". I don't get it. You like the "phone" features of the Feinex siren but don't like the actual in-car unit itself?? Too bad...stuck. You want a Whelen siren?? Federal?? No problem with the C3 unit. Quality?? We sell a TON of C3 every year and it almost never comes back. I would say 1 in 500 pieces is returned for a fail. Maybe less..... I don't get the bashing of C3 at all. The Defender light bar is still the brightest bar on the market, The RX2700 has a terrific track record and the 21TR plus is the best bar on the market for price vs. features. I would also put the X-treme series light heads up against any manufacturers similar product for price/punch/durability.

Psst.. So if you haven't noticed, we don't talk bad about STL errr Feinex on here, ever.. I learned my lesson..

To follow up on your post, the 2 siren specific have a different back plate with a cat5 jack in the back of the unit and the universal of course has the in/out terminals instead.

Unfortunately, this unit will not control the siren functions of my C3 product... So there goes that idea!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
emtanderson51 said:
You like the "phone" features of the Feinex siren but don't like the actual in-car unit itself?? Too bad...stuck. You want a Whelen siren?? Federal?? No problem with the C3 unit.

Not really sure why people think you can't use the Feniex 4200 with other sirens. It's very easy to do. It is just something that hasn't been talked about.

I don't see any issues with the Code 3 one. I think people were excited into thinking it would be something completely new. Two months ago, this would have been. I still think it will be a very cool product. I like the wifi idea, but they did bring up a good point about not being able to use any other wifi on the device.

I'm not overly impressed with code 3 overall, but I do like the basis of this product. Obviously in hands testing is key and I probably wont be spending the money to test one of these.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
mjMIff said:
Psst.. So if you haven't noticed, we don't talk bad about STL errr Feinex on here, ever.. I learned my lesson..

To follow up on your post, the 2 siren specific have a different back plate with a cat5 jack in the back of the unit and the universal of course has the in/out terminals instead.

Unfortunately, this unit will not control the siren functions of my C3 product... So there goes that idea!

I am definitely not putting the Feinex product down by any means. I have not ever seen or used one so I have no opinion. I just find it funny is all. Version 2 is in the works already so stay tuned!

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
emtanderson51 said:
I am definitely not putting the Feinex product down by any means. I have not ever seen or used one so I have no opinion. I just find it funny is all. Version 2 is in the works already so stay tuned!

What????!?? What is V2 all about? haha

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Looks kinda neat. The only issue I see is that they were lifting that rollback by the wheellift. That is a good way to break something right quick.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.