Code 3 LP Question

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
IIRC, Code 3 offered their alley lights as "mini-takedowns" in the LP. I was wondering if anyone ever used them as warning lights. They always seemed like a neat way to add flashers to the bar without taking up a rotator slot.

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
yeah, I have done that! I mounted a Code 3 Lp on a fire truck and they didn't need the takedowns so I added a wig-wag flasher to them. They added a nice show to the bar but I felt that they washed out the red/blue because they were so bright!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I used them in several custom builds years and years ago as flashers. They worked quite well in almost any housing. They generate a lot of heat though, so be warned...and warmed

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Crown_Vics said:
yeah, I have done that! I mounted a Code 3 Lp on a fire truck and they didn't need the takedowns so I added a wig-wag flasher to them. They added a nice show to the bar but I felt that they washed out the red/blue because they were so bright!

Can't the bulbs be replaced with something of less wattage?

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I thought this was a option on the original generations of bars, I recently picked up a late model LP6000 with freeform roators , that has front and rear flashers with front take downs, its an odd bar, also has an all light center section with no evidence of a center mounted option ever being installed in it

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Thanks for the answers. For years, my ideal LE light bar was an all-light LP 6000 with the "headlight" takedown in the center and mini-takedowns front and rear to use as secondary warning mode. I always like their oscillating light (stinger or stingray), it really added some punch to the front.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Years ago, the Sheriff's Office in Lubbock, TX, mounted PAR36 lights on their VisiBars between the CP25 speaker and the beacons. They utilized PAR37 aircraft sealed-beams in the housing and used them as takedowns. When they ran Code 3, they would break intersections using those bright-assed takedowns. Not too many people got in their way. One evening both the S.O. and myself were running on a structure fire south of the city. I was in an older Pontiac ambulance (still legal then), and when I saw the S.O. unit coming up behind me, I broke the intersection with my trusty Super Chief siren and held the intersection for him. No need! Those takedowns were so bright.....everyone stopped! :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.