Code 3 MX-7000 LED Conversion

Viper2497

Apr 19, 2016
Ohio
Looking to save a little energy on the truck by switching to all LEDs. We have a Code 3 MX-7000 and tried to switch the 1156 bulbs to the average Amazon LED and they weren't close to as bright. Anybody done this before?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Poke around and search for halogen to LED conversion. Several threads dedicated to this issue.

The bulbs that the work the best run from 15-30 bucks a piece. They still arent as bright as the halogens though.

For the cost of new bulbs just for 5 rotators you're looking at 75-150. I found a fully loaded Freedom bar for 200 shipping included here on ELB.

You're best bet is to either replace some of the rotor assemblies with LED flasher heads or replace the bar.

Reactions: Tony P

deelony

May 23, 2010
LINY
The rotator reflectors were designed for the filament in the halogen bulb. Nothing else will be effective.

Reactions: Sparky_911

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
The rotator reflectors were designed for the filament in the halogen bulb. Nothing else will be effective.

Too bad cause it would have been a great upgrade

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Halogen to LED conversion is nothing more than clinging to a nostalgic look with modern lighting. The MX7000 has passed on to the vintage realm. Honestly, anything that isn't LED has passed on to being vintage. I was in the same boat. I very much wanted the Cuda Spectre/JetSolaris platform to take off, but it really didn't happen. I know Federal Signal is trying real hard with the Vision SLR and the Valor, but it appears as if everybody just wants the same cookie cutter looking LED bars. Hell, manufacturers aren't even trying to innovate when it comes to the looks of the bar. The outward appearance of the bar is nowhere near the priority. It's all about new optics and LED generation this, and generation that. Nobody from these manufacturers care that almost all LED bars pretty much look the same.

13TTPP

Feb 11, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
What color(S) is the bar? I have multiple code 3 prizm heads and prizm 2 heads in blue and potentially have a number of reds as well. I've upgraded the heads in my RX2700 over the years from 8 to 12 diodes and from prizm 1 to 2's. Other than the half red bar I bought from a member here they all require a flasher. The stuff is just laying around and would be much better than rotators with an LED bulb, feel free to message me if you are interested.

lazarop

Jun 11, 2011
New York, USA
13TTPP - thanks for your comment. I have a similar situation but need a flasher to make my converted LED MX7000 work properly. which one should I use and where to purchase it?

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Strobesnmore offers an led beacon that will fit directly to the rotator decks, with the permanent mount brackets and they have a rotating pattern.......but just one beacon runs ya around 130.00

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I know Federal Signal is trying real hard with the Vision SLR and the Valor, but it appears as if everybody just wants the same cookie cutter looking LED bars. Hell, manufacturers aren't even trying to innovate when it comes to the looks of the bar. The outward appearance of the bar is nowhere near the priority. It's all about new optics and LED generation this, and generation that. Nobody from these manufacturers care that almost all LED bars pretty much look the same.

That's because there isn't much innovation to be had. A rectangle low profile bar is about as good as it's going to get.

The Vision SLR is cool. Except it's $4000 before the upfit, and has the wind noise of a 747, just like it's halogen father. For an agency whose cars frequently do 100mph, this is a huge setback. It's loud, hurts fuel economy, and slows the car down.

I can get similar performance from an nForce bar at half the price, and it'll run significantly smoother. Or I can go nForce interior lighting for zero wind issues, an even lower price, and still comparable lighting performance.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Ive done Several MX7000 and Excalibur where Ive left the Halogen rotators in place, and replaced the entire lower deck with LED's. It gives you your nostalgic use of rotators, with the power draw and punch of LED's for the lower deck

In Excalibur's, I usually use Feniex Fusion, and T3 Modules. If you can get your hands on corner module brackets for a Code 3 2100 bar, it only takes a small amount of fab to make it work with the Fusions.

In MX7000, I usually use the modules from the Code 3 RX2700

soutthpaw

May 2, 2018
Sparks, NV
I have quite done a bunch of excaliburs and MX7000 bars. I have used excalibur Arrowstick LED modules in the lower MX7000 bars as well as used the sound off predator 2 LEDs. The mount pretty easily into the MX bars. I have plenty of the predator modules for sale, cheap if you want red and blue...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.