Code 3 - MX 7000 Lightbar Question

stok2

Feb 12, 2013
indiana
I have a Code 3 MX-7000 Lightbar 48" that I want to wire up to be used in my house. I know I'm gonna need some type of transformer, but not sure what type or where I can get it from. Can anyone give me a hand with this? Thanks!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Keep in mind that a loaded MX-7000 with rotators is going to pull about 50 amps. A "wall wart" adapter from Radio Shack isn't going to do it.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
MtnMan said:
Keep in mind that a loaded MX-7000 with rotators is going to pull about 50 amps. A "wall wart" adapter from Radio Shack isn't going to do it.

Replace them with #93 bulb. Look them up at light bulbs unlimited.com. They give the same punch, but at a 1/3 the power draw.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
MtnMan said:

Just get 50 of the 1A wall warts, and plug them into power strips. You'll need about 24 of them, too.

stok2

Feb 12, 2013
indiana
I have a computer power supply that is 850watt output. Is it possible to just cutoff the pin connector and splice this into the wires of the light and then just plug into the wall?

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
stok2 said:
I have a computer power supply that is 850watt output. Is it possible to just cutoff the pin connector and splice this into the wires of the light and then just plug into the wall?

You could............but you will probaly have alot of smoke and hear the bulbs bursting :)

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
stok2 said:

Not all of that 850 watts is delivered to the +12v DC rail. Typically 10% to 20% of a power supply's rated output is derived from the wattage available on the +5v DC rail, and, to a lesser extent, the +3.3v DC rail. I suspect your power supply's label will indicate the actual wattage available on the +12v DC rail. Look closely.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Just a question, what options are you running. I have a MX that has the 4 rotators, lower FF and RF and I-sects. It only pulls around 10 amps with the #97 bulbs I mentioned above. A computer power supply could handle that.

stok2

Feb 12, 2013
indiana
jdh said:
Just a question, what options are you running. I have a MX that has the 4 rotators, lower FF and RF and I-sects. It only pulls around 10 amps with the #97 bulbs I mentioned above. A computer power supply could handle that.

I really only want to run the rotating lights.......

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
MtnMan said:
Most computer supplies have a +12V output (usually the yellow wire), but it won't provide sufficient amps for all the lights.

More info here: http://www.letu.edu/people/joelkoblich/Tech_Tips/PC%20Power%20Supplies/Tips%20on%20Using%20a%20PC%20Power%20Supply%20for%20Projects.pdf

I did this very project, using this very page quoted above. Works well, but I' say that anything bigger than 20 amps will be too much. I have fried one with my MX7000 (4 rotators, 4 flashers, Intersect. sweepers)

My other one is protected if I ask too much out of it, but still, for an MX7000, I would suggest a battery. Browse the thread I quoted for pros and cons of the different solutions regarding 12V power supplies, chargers, and batteries.

A computer power supply will work well for beacons or minibars, but that's about it.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Battery= pure DC :yes:

Power supply= possible ripples, which can cause erratic operation. :no:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I'd just get a relatively inexpensive "jumper box" at Sears, etc. The box is rechargeable and will provide plenty of power for a short amount of time. Just don't use a battery charger as that can permanently damage the lightbar.

stok2

Feb 12, 2013
indiana
Skip Goulet said:
I'd just get a relatively inexpensive "jumper box" at Sears, etc. The box is rechargeable and will provide plenty of power for a short amount of time. Just don't use a battery charger as that can permanently damage the lightbar.

This will work for quick on/off but i was thinking aboout plugging it in to a wall out that is on a remote switch, so i can flip it on when at any point.....still trying to figure this out.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I think a battery will be the cheapest solution. It drains, yes, but you should get ample time for your needs. Get sealed batteries and observe battery safety. :)

Firefighter7

Nov 25, 2021
Tigard, Oregon
I have a Code 3 MX-7000 Lightbar 48" that I want to wire up to be used in my house. I know I'm gonna need some type of transformer, but not sure what type or where I can get it from. Can anyone give me a hand with this? Thanks!
Batterystuff.com
Model Pm3-100LK
100 AMP CAPIAPLE
$174.00 is what I paid
It operates my FS Vector/ Code3 MX70000/ And my FS Areohawk

Ta2dResqr

Nov 19, 2015
Marengo, Ohio
A 93 bulb is only 550 lumens. A 97 bulb is a little better at 650 lumens. A (S)795 bulb is 1357 lumens. For the same amount of light and reducing power consumption, I would recommend a high end LED bulb. It will need to be a BA15S base. The easiest is an 1156. Next you need to check lumens. The company I prefer is JDM Astar. Since the pandemic, they only sell on Amazon. There bulbs are around 1500 lumens depending on which model. They are rated at up to 50w but operate at 10w. This is even less than the 93 bulb (13.3w). This means more light and less power. Final thing to be aware of, order the color of light that your lens is if using a colored lens (red - red, amber - amber, clear - any). Only change I saw with this was that the motors tend to move a little bit faster because they have more power available.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.