Code 3 XL 5000

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Another recent acquisition during my road trip. XL5000 appears to be a short, with Stingrays, and alleys.
This one comes from just outside of Pittsburgh, power cable is cut pretty short and before I power it up I just want to verify what does what.

XL50006.jpg
going by colors on a Code 3 bar, Red is generally rotators, Black is ground, blue is typically the speaker.
I see 2 yellows, a grey, a light red, and an orange.

I know that the stingray will require 3 wires.. to function, and 2 wires are probably for the alleys left and right.
I don't have the Code 3 color matrix memorized like I do with AeroDynics. (not all bars are perfect)

XL50001.jpgXL50002.jpg

There is a speaker in this bar..
XL50005.jpg

and the guts..

XL50004.jpgXL50003.jpg

I was going to tear it down, but too damn cold today.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have an LP with Stingrays but would need to go look at the colors to be accurate. They do require 3 wires (rear, front and rotate) powering the rear sweeps provides power for the others. If the rear sweeps are not powered, the other functions wont work. All positive connections on the harness for the Stingrays.

Nice find there.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
XL5000 appears to be a short, with Stingrays, and alleys.
Nice Bar but due on the speakercenter with 14 rows of vents it is a regular (48") bar. The short (45") models have just 10 rows of vents.
going by colors on a Code 3 bar, Red is generally rotators, Black is ground, blue is typically the speaker.
I see 2 yellows, a grey, a light red, and an orange.

I know that the stingray will require 3 wires.. to function, and 2 wires are probably for the alleys left and right.
Typically the yellow wire is for alley left and the yellow/black for alley right.
I have several lightbars with stingrays here but the wire colors are always a bit different - depending on what was left in the cable.
I guess:
grey - rear only
red/black - full circle
orange - front fast

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Nice Bar but due on the speakercenter with 14 rows of vents it is a regular (48") bar. The short (45") models have just 10 rows of vents.

Typically the yellow wire is for alley left and the yellow/black for alley right.
I have several lightbars with stingrays here but the wire colors are always a bit different - depending on what was left in the cable.
I guess:
grey - rear only
red/black - full circle
orange - front fast
Also, the wires can be added to each other for use with slide switches. So putting Rear Only with Full circle makes full circle, adding front only to full circle make front only... ie you don't have to disconnect the previous step.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Onto my next item on the list..
People on FB were telling me to YOLO on the wiring.. thank god that didn't happen..

XL50007.jpg

anyone else see the problem??

here's some hints..
XL50008.jpg XL500010.jpg

Next to impossible to see this when the domes are on.. you can look at the other pictures and red just blends together.. looks to be invisible.

It was pretty suspect, when 1 outer rotator had a filter and one did not. It did not appear the bar was tampered with, so I can only guess the screw worked its way out over time.

XL500011.jpg

The right way..

closeup of the other side..
XL50009.jpg

Looks to be very clean other then the center speaker section.

It had a whelen 200 watt dual driver speaker. Or what was left of it, as it was installed very half ass. That has been pulled and I need to test it.

Ran out of usable daylight and that is where it sits currently.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Onto my next item on the list..
People on FB were telling me to YOLO on the wiring.. thank god that didn't happen..

View attachment 233291

anyone else see the problem??

here's some hints..
View attachment 233290 View attachment 233288

Next to impossible to see this when the domes are on.. you can look at the other pictures and red just blends together.. looks to be invisible.

It was pretty suspect, when 1 outer rotator had a filter and one did not. It did not appear the bar was tampered with, so I can only guess the screw worked its way out over time.

View attachment 233287

The right way..

closeup of the other side..
View attachment 233289

Looks to be very clean other then the center speaker section.

It had a whelen 200 watt dual driver speaker. Or what was left of it, as it was installed very half ass. That has been pulled and I need to test it.

Ran out of usable daylight and that is where it sits currently.

This generation stingray "brain" has the inputs labeled; that's very nice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.