Code 3 XL 9k (some assembly required)

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Well my project finally made it home, a brand new still in the box XL 9000....completely gutted :eek:
Not entirely gutted but close enough anyway, 49 incher with solid red domes.
I'm starting to scrounge parts and thought I would try to document my progress here.

It has the 8.5 inch, 10 row speaker cover, does anyone happen to know if C3 ever made a clear center dome/cover in this size? I know they made one for the larger center section and wouldn't mind swapping the speaker section out for a Stinger.

IMG_6401.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I think that is a short speaker cover.. similar to this.

In my video I have it labeled as a Mid, but after doing some research I think its a short.

Is another.

I don't think they made an all light conversion for these bars, the XL5000s replaced the XL9000s and they started making them all light.

You could cut down a dome and make one.. but then the trick is what do you put in the center? a Stinger?

Reactions: LineSpotter

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
I really do have too many projects going all at once.
Started piddling with this in early November and its almost the new year.....yikes!

You could cut down a dome and make one.. but then the trick is what do you put in the center? a Stinger?

What I thought about doing was maybe cut out a used speaker grill section (just the perforated portion), then fab up a clear 'lens' flush on the inside, and mount a Stinger behind it. I would end up with one on each side in the normal position under the red domes, plus a clear one in the center. Haven't decided though as it looks so good just as it is, stock.

I picked up two used Stingers in Nov that I planned to mount, but have since managed to come up with a pair of brand new Stingers from someone up in Wisconsin along with a pair of brand new gearbox/drive motors. It took a while to make it happen but they finally came the week before last, he thinks he also has some other NIB parts but Ive got to wait until he has time to dig through stuff.

Now what I need are rotators, with the plan being to make all four 3-bulb units.

Does anyone know if C3 ever actually produced 3-bulb units standard or as an option? From pictures its clear the 120deg units were set up to accommodate a third frame and bulb so I would assume they did, but I've never seen images of a bar set-up that way in actual use, just a couple collectors on YT videos.

Also, if anyone happens to have solid red domes with just the clear Stinger sections....I may be interested in a trade or purchase.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Does anyone know if C3 ever actually produced 3-bulb units standard or as an option?

Code 3 did just about anything you wanted. So yes they did. Select a lert feature bars usually had this option.

Reactions: Tony P

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Forgot unboxing pix.....

IMG_6864.JPG

Still has instructions stapled to cord
IMG_6873.JPG

Kind of sad & lonely looking

IMG_6868.JPG

But spotless inside and out

IMG_6869.JPG

Mounted the brand new motors and stingers

IMG_6874.JPG

Now were talking

IMG_6875.JPG

Its alive! :cool:

IMG_6876.JPG

I have some leads on sealed beam rotators, but in the meantime if anyone has any please PM me.

I might consider trading out the domes if anyone happens to have solid red with just the singer cutouts.

Also, does anyone happen to know the production window for these?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
NightProbe:
ai57-photobucket-com_albums_g205_elightbars_catalogs_code3cat011-jpg.166425

SelectAlert:
ai57-photobucket-com_albums_g205_elightbars_catalogs_code3cat010-jpg.166424

Credit: John Marcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.