Code 3 z3 Programming

Layne6288

May 5, 2021
Ohio
How do I go about programming my non-matrix code 3 z3? I tried using the software but it does not detect my z3. I am using the correct software, and sometimes my computer gets a "COM6 port not found" error.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
How do I go about programming my non-matrix code 3 z3? I tried using the software but it does not detect my z3. I am using the correct software, and sometimes my computer gets a "COM6 port not found" error.
Im not very familiar with the Z3, but Ive had to program a few, and ran into similar problems. I can’t remember exactly what I did, but it had something to do with certain power wires needed to have power, and others didn’t. Just keep trying different combinations. That might not work for you, but thats what worked for me.

Layne6288

May 5, 2021
Ohio
Im not very familiar with the Z3, but Ive had to program a few, and ran into similar problems. I can’t remember exactly what I did, but it had something to do with certain power wires needed to have power, and others didn’t. Just keep trying different combinations. That might not work for you, but thats what worked for me.
Sounds good, thank you. I watched videos which showed me which wires to hook up, but it still doesn't work, very confusing. Wondering if it's a bad usb. But it makes the noise on my computer when it connects.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I was pulling my hair out. Following the manual as it said and couldn’t get it to work, then something happened and it worked, I don’t really know.

May 6, 2018
SF Bay Area
Did you figure out what was causing the problem? I am also having the same issue. I start the configuration software, power up the positive and negative and connect the usb. My pc "chimes" when I connect the usb as any other usb I connect but the configuration software does not detect the siren.

Layne6288

May 5, 2021
Ohio
Did you figure out what was causing the problem? I am also having the same issue. I start the configuration software, power up the positive and negative and connect the usb. My pc "chimes" when I connect the usb as any other usb I connect but the configuration software does not detect the siren.
I did fix it. Make sure everything is disconnected except the siren ground and power. Plug in the usb, then give the amplifier power. If that doesn't work, keep the amplifier powered, and the usb connected, then pull out the removable thing where the positive and ground go into then put it back in. This works for me. Also make sure your ignition wire is NOT hooked to power.

Reactions: 110

May 6, 2018
SF Bay Area
Thank you. I was actually able to take care of the problem before I saw your post. What did the trick for me was to make sure only positive and negative were powered (NOT ignition). I then opened the configuration application. Under the tools tab, I clicked “reset device connection”. It is very important to pay attention to the prompt that appears and make sure the usb programming cable is not connected. Once the device connection has been reset, a prompt will appear instructing the user to plug the cable back in. This solved my problem.

Reactions: Layne6288

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Glad this got fixed/figured out. Windows had trouble seeing the something else USB on a local guy's car (maybe it was the same product I am not familiar with code 3 models). Windows was essentially treating it as a device to change for some reason. His solution was to quickly power the device on and off while windows was looking for the device. It is almost like the "handshake" to make it a device isn't right. I'm not sure if it is USB drivers or on the product side, or bad directions etc. But you guys are not alone. The Whelen programming software required my old laptop to get updated USB drivers but it told me when it failed that was the problem.

Layne6288

May 5, 2021
Ohio
Glad this got fixed/figured out. Windows had trouble seeing the something else USB on a local guy's car (maybe it was the same product I am not familiar with code 3 models). Windows was essentially treating it as a device to change for some reason. His solution was to quickly power the device on and off while windows was looking for the device. It is almost like the "handshake" to make it a device isn't right. I'm not sure if it is USB drivers or on the product side, or bad directions etc. But you guys are not alone. The Whelen programming software required my old laptop to get updated USB drivers but it told me when it failed that was the problem.
Yep, this is how I solved it. My windows said it didn't "recognize" the device that I was plugging in.

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
What is the serial number of the amp? Version 1 models had terrible connection problems with some computers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.