Code 3 Z3 strobes won’t light up

crownvicNL

Aug 4, 2024
Netherlands
Hi all, I have a Code 3 Z3 amp with the controller connected. I also have 4 r/b strobes connected. At first everything worked, but now I’m encountering an issue where sometimes the strobes won’t light up at all, and sometimes they do (or randomly cut off). What could this problem be? I checked all the connections and everything seems fine, the programming is correct and everything is throughly grounded.

Tell us more about the strobe power supply, strobe cabling, and strobe tubes.
The amplifier is installed under the passenger-side seat. The vehicle is a 2005 Ford CVPI. The amp gets power directly from the battery and is grounded to the battery. The white ignition wire coming from the amplifier is also connected to the power wires.

I have 2 rear-facing strobes next to the 3rd brake light. They are connected to the white "LEVEL 2" wire coming from the amp wiring harness. The front-facing strobes (2 strobes, red and blue) are both connected to the white "LEVEL 1" wire from the amp. All strobes and the speaker are grounded to the 2 black ground wires coming from the amplifier. No lights or any other equipment are wired to the white "LEVEL 3" wire.

I have noticed that the strobes do work after the car has idled or has been driven for approximately 15-25 minutes. They do not work directly after I start the car, although the head control panel does work with no issues at all. The "FLASH" button does nothing but I think that is due to how it's been programmed by the previous PD.

All siren tones and the speaker (Code 3 100W) work with no issues.

Upvote 0
Your siren speaker should not be grounded. Your strobes should not be grounded.

Are you sure you have strobes installed? If there is no strobe power supply and if there are no strobe tubes, then you may not have what you think you have.

Upvote 0
I have never owned a Code 3 Z3, but from the installation manual it does not appear to incorporate a strobe power supply. Strobes will not function without a strobe power supply to drive them.

If you are not using a separate strobe power suppy, and since the Code 3 Z3 does not incorporate a strobe power supply, then whatever you have that you think are strobes are not strobes.

Upvote 0
A picture of the “strobes” would help us figure out the potential issue.
We have an older fire engine loaded with strobes, but if she sits at idle too long they will start to misfire or not flash at all due to power consumption vs available energy to draw from.

Upvote 0
A picture of the “strobes” would help us figure out the potential issue.
We have an older fire engine loaded with strobes, but if she sits at idle too long they will start to misfire or not flash at all due to power consumption vs available energy to draw from.
Here are some pictures of the amplifier in the trunk and the lighting setup from the outside. I know the cable management is a proper mess but it’s meant to be temporary. I have power coming from an ignition cable under the steering wheel so everything only powers up when I turn the ignition.

I’m a beginner with installing things like this. Could the power source be the problem? Do I have to draw power directly from the battery and wouldn’t that constantly keep the control head on and drain the battery?IMG_3384.jpegIMG_3320.jpegIMG_3326.jpegIMG_3330.jpegIMG_3383.jpeg

Upvote 0
So the lights in the back window, are those some of the strobes you are referring to from your original post?
You definitely need that amp connected to battery power and the ignition power seperate

Upvote 0
I’m fairly certain the rear deck and grille lights are led, was slowly working my way to that. I think there’s not enough available power due to the current install for the controller. Causing the leds to shunt off likely the culprit here.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShulemSaal